[SOLVED] AORUS z370 BIOS overvolting my CPU?

Oct 7, 2021
Hello!

So a couple years ago I bought myself a PC, back then it had an i5-8600K CPU.

I recently decided I wanted to upgrade to an i9 CPU, just for that performance boost when doing work tasks and whatnot on the PC. Checking online I found that my motherboard and BIOS did support i9-9900K, but only after version F10 of the BIOS. So, I upgraded the BIOS (F15b) and bought the i9-9900K.

However, I quickly had problems with it when I swapped the CPUs out. Originally I thought my PC's liquid cooler had died, as I was spiking to 98°C instantly when running any sort of stress test, idling around 45-50°C, and playing any sort of games at around 70-85°C. Hell, even just watching a video on YouTube spikes temperatures to ~70°C. After purchasing a new cooler though, I have found that this was not the case. Temps still hit 92°C (which is lower, but not the expected amount of lower), and idle/gaming temps have not really changed. After reaching out to get some help, some people have pointed out that my CPU is running at a bit higher of a voltage than it should be (I believe the reaction to seeing the voltage was "monkaS"). HWMonitor reports ~1.5V for maximum voltage, and it seems to average around 1.2-1.3V, with absolute minimum being 0.77V.

Now, I've never overclocked/etc. in my life, so it came as a bit of a surprise to find this out. They told me to check my BIOS for any sort of "automatic overclock" settings, but I could not find anything other than advanced settings to set certain things to a certain value (ie: voltage for specific core: 1.2V, etc).

Is there anything I can do to lower the voltage to lower the temperature? I'd rather not have my new CPU (or the 'old' motherboard) die because it overheated.

Quick reference specs:
CPU:
Intel i9-9900K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING 2.0 ATX LGA1151
BIOS version: F15b
Coolers tried: Corsair h100i (240mm), Fractal Design CELSIUS S24 (240mm)

Last edited:
Solution
All we know so far is that you replaced 'some liquid cooler' with 'a new cooler'...

That is precious little info to draw any conclusions regarding your temps, as clearly not every liquid cooler is comparable. (You can rest assured any 120/140 mm little radiator is entirely insufficient.)

First question: what all-core clock speeds are being hit/sustained over a 10-15 minute run of CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, for example? (It's a better test of normal CPU load, as Prime95 /small FFT with AVX /AVX2 enabled is pretty much a known 110-115% overload for a 9900K)

If your all-core clock speeds are 5 GHz for example, then you likely have MCE enabled....; this would require VERY good cooling for most 9900K CPUs, as most would be near 95C at such...
All we know so far is that you replaced 'some liquid cooler' with 'a new cooler'...

That is precious little info to draw any conclusions regarding your temps, as clearly not every liquid cooler is comparable. (You can rest assured any 120/140 mm little radiator is entirely insufficient.)

First question: what all-core clock speeds are being hit/sustained over a 10-15 minute run of CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, for example? (It's a better test of normal CPU load, as Prime95 /small FFT with AVX /AVX2 enabled is pretty much a known 110-115% overload for a 9900K)

If your all-core clock speeds are 5 GHz for example, then you likely have MCE enabled....; this would require VERY good cooling for most 9900K CPUs, as most would be near 95C at such all core clocks...as you are seeing; the good samples are likely still 85C)

Solution
Oct 7, 2021

Sorry! Totally forgot to include that in the original post. It's a 240mm. Went from Corsair h100i v2 to Fractal Design CELSIUS S24. I will edit this information into the main post as well.

If your all-core clock speeds are 5 GHz for example, then you likely have MCE enabled....; this would require VERY good cooling for most 9900K CPUs, as most would be near 95C at such all core clocks...as you are seeing; the good samples are likely still 85C)
Ah, I think I saw that setting in the BIOS, I believe it was set to AUTO. I've got to make dinner here, but once I finish that I'll try booting my computer into the BIOS and setting it to disabled, then will get back to you.

Asus was known to default MCE to ON if it was left at Auto....not sure about Gigabyte...

As long as NOT using some 24/7 hard fixed clock speed with some ill-advised '10% overclock', which might very well use .1 V too much core voltage, the clock speeds will let you know the settings...

If it goes to 4.7 GHz all core sustained for 30-90 seconds, then clocks down somewhat, that is factory spec, trying to maintain TDP via power limits and boost duration time limits.

If you see clocks ramp to 5 GHz all core sustained on 8 cores under a load, that should only happen with MCE on/enabled. (Which effectively runs the 9900K as a 9900KS, which will heat to in the 90's with most cooling solutions. YOu can try tweaking AVX offset, or specifying a .05 or .1 V offset voltage easily within Intel's XTU application, which allows you to loaf on surfing and desktop at 800-2000 MHz, yet ramp to 5 GHz instantly under a heavy gaming load all while remaining in Balanced Power mode, etc..)