Apacer PT920 Commando NVMe SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first thought was "Now that's a fancy staple gun!" I was pleased to see that the review had this covered by the first line.

Yes, staple gun related accidents are not to be taken lightly. If you are getting staples in your hands every few days though, you might want to consult the manual, since you're probably not holding it right.

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
@cryoburner, yeah, the first thing that came to my mind just from the image was staple-gun. After starting to read the article and looking again ... OK, it looks a bit like a portion of an M16 upper receiver, but much more like a stapler.

padrescout

Honorable
Oct 7, 2017
@NORSEMAN4 I too clicked thinking it was a stapler. I'm ok with the the existence of guns, it's an unpleasant reality of the world we live in. That said, this weird .. fetish with guns, the "cool" mentality of them that motivated a company to sell reproductions of them because "guns are awesome! I want things that aren't guns, but look like guns in my car/computer/whatever" makes me concerned.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Really? I'm surprised more see Stapler than AR15 rear-sight. It only kinda looks like a staple gun if you squint; It looks like a direct replacement for an AR15 body.

Wish it did come in other colours though. Military tan matches so little.

padrescout

Honorable
Oct 7, 2017

It is much more obvious in the article, with the larger pictures. The thumbnail at the top of the home page it's much less obvious what it is unless you kind of stare at it. ... Which I didn't. I just went "neat, don't see staplers too often these days!" ::CLICK:: .... oh.

svanos49

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, and that includes those 'dangerous' pop tarts that can be shaped into a gun by biting on it! Gotta be extra careful these days! I think I would prefer to trust my freedom to an 8 year old than a college geek!

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
"Really? This is in incredibly poor taste given the events we seem to re-visit every few days."

I lived in Israel for a few years, and we had several terrorist attacks where somebody drove an automobile - or sometimes heavy construction equipment - into a crowd of pedestrians.

By your logic, would it be in poor taste to create an automobile or construction-themed SSD?

Altherix

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Staple Gun.

You very rarely see an AR-15 with the M16's handle in this day and age. Most have the rail system so you can tack on useless stuff to your AR-15.

At least what I see tacked on at the range strikes me as useless flashy crap.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I'm trying to figure out who the target audience here is. Pretty sure most gun enthusiasts would look at this thing and facepalm hard. People who hate guns wouldn't want it. Children would probably think it looks cool, but they're typically not in the market for high end SSDs.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Pretty sure they're trying to corner the "8-year-olds with rich parents" segment.

Tim Gueguen

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
It looked like an AR15/M16 upper to me at first glance as well. Ignoring the questions of whether that's appropriate who spends any time looking at their hard drives once they've been installed? Seems like something that will just cause installation problems for no benefit.

It's likely intended for people building a gaming system to play competitive multiplayer shooters like Counter-Strike. So not actual gun enthusiasts, but rather FPS game enthusiasts.

Still, it looks kind of odd, particularly when turned on its side and filed below a graphics card, where you'll be looking at it on-edge. Without some kind of PCI riser, it might be harder to tell what it's intended to look like once installed in most systems.

berezini

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
they should have went with full sized fake rifle which protrudes through the entire case for very few select mods.

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Not only does it look really awful it also performs at the bottom of the pack. Nothing to look at and nothing worth bragging about. I wouldn't have even bothered with reviewing it to begin with based upon looks BUT then you find out the performance is mediocre(relatively) as well. The joke about people in line for this went over everyone's heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.