APC Issues Statement In Response To Our Power Strip Teardown

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
This is the reason I use nearly all APC brand products in my server lab and at home. They are good. I've never had a quality issue with any of their products. I use their racks and PDUs in my lab, and their UPSes in my home. I have several of their PDUs in my lab that date back over ten years, and they're still going strong. I like any company that takes criticism up front, makes no excuses, and works to make things better.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
They just got a +1 in my book. Any company that take the time to provide a detailed letter to the public, offering it up to the forums, has integrity... and that's a rare quality in companies these days. Thank you, Colin Campbell, for being honest and forthright. Most of all, thank you for proving you have an active interest in your consumers; their thoughts, opinions, and loyalty.

That is a *very* impressive from Colin Campbell and APC! I have been using APC UPSs since the 1990s of various power and have never had an issue with any of them (other than the batteries eventually dying of course). Generally they are a little more expensive than the competition but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I am not comfortable connecting thousands of dollars of equipment to cheaper power backup and protection solutions. This response further gives me confidence to continue to purchase all of my home and small office UPS needs from APC.

Thank you Toms for the original review, and thank you Collin for your response!

Looks like Colin had a pretty rough day having that bag handed to him! But I agree with others here, this is a good response and certainly helps the company save face a little bit after such a rough review. APC is one of the biggest brands in that business, and you don't get that way by having shoddy work all of the time. It would be very interesting to pick a new product off of a retail shelf and see if things have gotten better... surely anecdotal, but it would be very interesting.

Please take them up on the tour offer. I mean, it isn't exactly the LHC, but tours are always pretty interesting reads!

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

I am still waiting for that current-version power bar APC said they would be sending my way over a month ago - I still have no definitive date on that. I tried asking TrippLite, Belkin, Kensington and others if they were interested in sending units in but got no response from them either.

But I do have some sort of follow-up on its way as my next write-up - it is going to hit mostly below the $10 belt. I am currently waiting for a few more samples from NewEgg to continue shooting photographs and writing. Currently got 15 slides done but I expect to reach 30-35 by the time I am done.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
the only part i don't like is the use of the word vintage. Don't put blame on some process being older. You've been in this game for decades that's not an excuse.

Adrian Sevcenco

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
wow! this kind of answer and time to answer could (and can) weight the same as engineering quality of the products! Good PR APC! (and yes, both at home and work i am APC only client)

umapathy

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Of course here in Sri Lanka APC cost more but the quality rocks compared to other brands in Sri Lanka. Ofcourse APC may not have good sales figures as the cost is high. I am using APC otherthan the battery the UPS still working over 5 years compared to my energizer AA/AAA battery charger didn't even last for 2 years.

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013

Wow, didn't thought Tom's hired people from Montreal (or any other place than USA). Any position available?

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Nice response and currently one of the few companies I trust with my power needs. Almost every strip in the house is APC and all backups are APC. Good to see a company take 10 minutes and own up and explain issues found.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I hate to be skeptical, but my opinion is that this is something APC HAD to do. As I see it, it is good marketing, and may help them maintain a foothold against the giants. One can only hope that their response represents true integrity.

Interestingly enough, they did call Tom's out with this comment - "As for exposing the center terminal, since the impedance of the circuit is maintained, the issue is one of RF ingress which in typical indoor situations, would have be quite substantial to cause interference." I've done lots of do-it-yourself things over the years including a Heathkit TV: exposing the center conductor is not unheard of, and my experience matches what APC states. Interference in such cases, is not significant. What would have been worse in analog days is a tin connector that tarnishes. My experience is that there was, again in analog days, interference caused in such situations.

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

Since it was about a week between the time I received confirmation that APC would send a response and the time I actually received it, I would not be surprised if way more than 10 man-minutes were spent putting this response together - I know my request for comment passed between at least two other sets of hands before reaching Collin (Elizabeth from Schneider and Marise from Text100) and Collin likely asked a few APC/Schneider engineers for comments before putting his response together. After that, the response likely needed to be vetted by Schneider's legal department.

All-in-all, there probably were quite a few total man-hours worth of work behind that response.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Signed in to thumb up some comments! I didn't even read the APC review, but just reading this statement made me impressed at APC. I wish more companies were like this, actually reading user feedbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.