Apple’s New MacBook Pros Go Up to Core i9, 32GB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2018
Allow me to better rephrase my previous comment: Coming from a professional 3d animator and a Multimedia Artist background, this laptop is a big LOL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/6r8t71/threadripper_build_3500/
and you will still have 500$ for lightweight small 10' inch to work from afar, while keeping the heat and battery drain away.

chrisITguy

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2015
AgentLozaen, to add some clarity here.

The reason these laptops are LOL worthy are due to the internal components are already marked up with a hefty premium just to purely being in a Apple product. If we look at the specs, it's even more LOL. For example, they mention "The 13-inch version starts at $1,799 and uses either quad-core Core i5 or Core i7 processors up uto 2.7 GHz (4.5 GHz on Turbo Boost)." 2.7 GHZ is across all cores where as 4.5 Turbo is ONE CORE. That's just thermal limitation working. Also, 2.7 GHZ is extremely slow.

For content creators, this is a big no. As you want more cores working as fast as possible. The desktop (full size CPU) of the 8th gen i7 is 6 cores(hexacore) as opposed to the scaled down 4 here. The desktop also sports a base frequency roughly 1GHZ faster than the *up to* speed in this laptop.

Basically, paying more for Apple + mobility add on. Content creators really need something better.

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
@KAOBOYKONG
The biggest issue is that you don't have MacOS compatibility with your apps right? Because 6 core i9, 32 GB ram, fast m2. SSD should move anything quite well.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
At first I was scratching my head over the "8th gen 6-core i9" CPU in the 15 inch version, seeing as how 1) all the i9 CPUs I've ever heard of had at least 10 cores, and 2) Coffee Lake doesn't even have an i9 in its current lineup. But apparently Intel made one mobile 8-series i9, the 8950HK, although its stats mostly line up with the desktop 8700 (non-K).

Jul 12, 2018
For content creators, you could get better performance on a laptop with a gtx 1060, compared to the radeon pro 560x. Props to their engineering capabilities for squeezing in a i9 with 32gb ram capabilities, but for the price tag of $2,400 it is not worth it.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
So everyone's problem with this laptop is the price / performance ratio? It costs too much for what your getting.

But if you were an Apple cultist and money was no object, then this laptop would meet your needs?

mapesdhs

Distinguished
My problem with Apple's products is their terrible PCB design, poor structural engineering choices and the dreadful way it treats its customers, but unlike any othe vendor, those who use their products just keep coming back for more.

emeraldsmines1990

Proper
BANNED
Jul 5, 2018
no nvidia still... \i dont understand Apple , the GTX 1060 /1050 are better chips , and consume less power than AMD , and still Apple is not including nvidia in their notebooks.

Jul 13, 2018
The pricing is wrong, it's actually $2799 for the 15 inch macbook pro and $2399 for the 13inch version. That's a $400 markup and $600 respectively. If you have the whole options for the 15 inch version, it's price willk skyrocket to $6,699.
Who in the right mind would spend that amount of money?

emeraldsmines1990

Proper
BANNED
Jul 5, 2018

Rich people . and you can find $6,699 notebooks at dell site if you fill them up.

Most serious content creators would however prefer a workstation card (like the Pro 560X) over a gaming card.
Not to mention most laptops with a GTX 1060 are cheaply made low quality G4m1ng 1337 laptops with a battery life of mind blowing 30mins.
Since you have a professional content creator background and all you probably know that these compete with the likes of Lenovos Thinkpad P series and those are very similarly priced.

Jun 26, 2018

the GPU is a joke, not worth anything if you work in graphic, it is not even a good gaming GPU
you can find tons of laptops with way better hardware for way cheaper, so it is a huge LOL

Jun 26, 2018

you can also find 8gen core i7 hexa-core laptops with 1060 or even 1070, to not lose too much power vs the i9, anyway, due to thermal throttling and how thin this laptop is, I doubt it can run all these cores at high speed so, that i9 extra price is probably useless vs the hexa i7

Jun 26, 2018

if you're a sheep, hum I mean an Apple fanboy, any crap apple will release will be fine for you since anyway, you know nothing about technology

genz

Distinguished
Lot of FUD here, gonna clean up cos honestly a different sort of person would use Macs if most of the people attacking them spoke more sense. Macs are good. Price is not but they are good.

I would completely understand if this unit shipped with battery where the older units had GPUs. This is a daily driver PC and suits and active life away from power ports well, even if it's slow. It would benefit most of the people that buy it more of the time than the GPU would.

Sorry that's rubbish. Most content creators prefer workstation DRIVERS over standard ones, and any standard gaming card can be flashed with WS firmware and get all the performance benefits of it's workstation equivalent barring ECC (which only matters for week long renders.. if you need that you've got the money not to care). Funny because in the workstation market, a flashed 1060 will perform better than a unflashed 1080ti. You buy that flashed 1060 from NV, then it's called a P4000 and costs £800.

Why does this matter? Well because in MacOS, all GPUs can use Workstation drivers, inc the gaming cards. My 1050 is your P1000 with less GRAM, that's it.

You'll also get approximately an hour with a loaded 1080 GPU away from a wall socket: Useless for a Graphics student that wants to be able to follow a lecturer for example. Hell it makes a pretty bad laptop all round, simply too much power and not enough battery.

i9 is a name tag 'invented for Apple', just like the Core M invention that just so happened to arrive on the market with the launch of the MacBook. It's actually just a Coffee lake 6 core, identical to the 8600 i7, but for lower power reqs. Apple are (as usual) trying to make it hard for anyone to compare specs, because their argument is their software makes those specs less important: there's too much additional kit (like co-processors, and the software layers) in the Mac for it to be a straight comparison. I would not be surprised if it's actually the Intel/AMD Vega chip that was making the rounds recently. If that was the case it would make an excellent content creation laptop, with a discrete 1030 that uses 8W so can run for 6 hours of creation and 6 cores of encoding grunt.

1. No. An iMac Pro might though. 14 Core W please, and max the RAM. I also do personally like the look of the current Air and might get one in the future.

If money wasn't a factor, everyone would have a Mac. Even those talking wish about gaming performance would just get a Pro with it's dual RX580s. I don't know many people that will complain that CF RX580 is too little.

2. Most mac heads know nothing about hardware: It comes already made. You'll find they know as much if not more about software though, as that's what they did whilst you did hardware. And other things, such as resale value, liquidity, y'know, real financial tools that are important outside of the realm of Computing... these are things Apple excel at. They make computer appliances that are meant to be resold, not used until broken. When you look at it this way, you'll find the person you sell to gives you back the apple tax you paid in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.