Apple Awarded $1 Billion in Samsung Patent Case

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]shahrooz[/nom]because apple is their biggest customer they can't afford losing their biggest customer and apple is getting a discount this way, they know how to run their business but they don't have any morality and I hate apple because IMO morality>anything[/citation]

Samsung is something like 3-4 times the size of Apple; depending on how you measure.
Apple may be burning more bridges that they can afford in the long run !

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
funny iread in my newspaper that Samsung hasn't copied iDevices, merely the bounce-back effect and thus will pay some fine. Apple apparently also had to pay a fine.

Must be referring to the Korean ruling.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]Someone please enlighten me, why is Samsung still selling Retina displays to Apple?[/citation]

Only samsung's mobile division is affected here. Samsungs screen divisions and chip divisions are more than welcome to keep doing business with Apple

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]yannigr[/nom]American logic + American justice = lol wtf am I talking about?[/citation]dont generalize the Americans, it is the jury all of them who involve in this lawsuit are retard.

cowasaki

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]Someone please enlighten me, why is Samsung still selling Retina displays to Apple?[/citation]

Because they make a profit in doing so and if they didn't do then Apple would go elsewhere and Samsung would loose even more money. Apple is Samsung's biggest customer!

flanders

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
The Apple fanboys will love Apple even more after this verdict, rest of the world will start to dislike Apple since they are killing the competition with this BS and the consumers in the end are the losers.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
As for the $5 billion-plus supply relationship between Apple and Samsung, that may be peppered for quite some time. Currently Apple is Samsung's biggest customer for components, yet this patent case was merely one victory amongst a string of legal battles between the two that are still winding their way through court systems across the globe. However this single U.S.-based battle has been deemed the most important, and will likely set the tone for the other legal cases.

Samsung is the biggest supplier, not easily replaced. Apple is the biggest client, not easily replaced. Nothing will change, not quickly anyway.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]You simply don't mess with Apple, they will viciously defend the ideas they stole.[/citation]

There fixed it! Samsung proved several of apples "ideas" were taken from other company's, apple stole them and then patented them and finnaly turned on samsung. So steal someones work -> Some other company steals that idea all of a sudden make the first theft legitimate?

Apple should not get a dime from this, its the FIRST inventor who apple screwed over in the first place-

And some even are so blinded and ask why there is so much apple hate, wake up - open the eyes.

halcyon

Splendid
By nmpike of MacWorld (Comments Section):

You know, Tim Cook and Samsung CEO had a phone conversation before the jury went into deliberations, this is what I think it was:

Tim Cook: "Hello?"

Samsung: "Tim, how you do? Wanted to talk about jury"

Tim Cook: "Was just emailing you, buy my Mountain Lion locked up in the middle of typing it. We sure don't make things like we used to. Hope it's not my management style causing it."

Samsung: "That's why we switch to Windows 8. Preview better than Apple released product. But, what about deal before trial end?"

Tim Cook: "How about this, we go through the trial. We CAN'T make the iphone or ipad without you. You made the best displays in the world. If you win, we'll pay a little extra per screen. If we win, you give us a break on price... the end result is if we win, it will really help us sue Google next, it's a win win."

Samsung: "Timmy, you good man. Steve Jobs would never compromise. In my country you get belt of honor. Tell family I say hi."

Tim Cook: "Take care friend. Take care."

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Unfortunately, lawyers these days look for uneducated jurors that will base their decision on emotion and inference, not on reason and facts. Lawyers for both sides get to dismiss a certain number of potential jurors for any reason or no reason. The people who are left are dumb as rocks and prone to emotional arguments. That means if ONE e-mail out of millions that expresses concern = guilty, Samsung must have known they were doing something wrong, or else why the concern? It never occurs to the jurors that it's juries like them that cause an innocent company to have concerns because they could be sued over anything and lose!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]crewton[/nom]What goes up must come down and the bigger they are the harder they fall. It's only a matter of time before people move on and ditch apple. Apple knows this, that is why they are pushing for all of these patients. They will be nothing more than a licensing company who makes a portion of sales from other firms using their "patents" as the world passes them by.I blame the educational system for buying the stupid macs and forcing me to use them throughout my k-12 experience. I hated them then, but I guess enough people grew up with Apple to continue to support them to this day. Sadly, they were the anti M$ and had the potential to be the underdog who made quality products for the masses. Instead, they just profit off the fools.[/citation]

Macs represent something like 10-15% of Apple's profit and revenue now. They are essentially a mobile company with tablets.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]when my htc dies, i'm buying a samsung phone, just to do my little part for samsung![/citation]
Definitely understand, Samsung and South Korea deserve and need your support. ...they're in financial trouble and need you to do everything you can to assist.

Duh lets see here, I take it folks posting here with (+) hate Apple and (-) like Apple, that much is clear.

So my question is EXACTLY (specifically in detail) why you hate Apple and in particular the iPhone and why Patents are bad?

Our family has both iPhones and Android none of us have these 'feelings.'

I 'get' many of you simply hate Apple and hate Patents, but beyond that I don't see any facts just conjecture kinda like a mob but no real reason.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Duh lets see here, I take it folks posting here with (+) hate Apple and (-) like Apple, that much is clear.So my question is EXACTLY (specifically in detail) why you hate Apple and in particular the iPhone?Our family has both iPhones and Android none of us have these 'feelings.'I 'get' many of you simply hate Apple and hate Patents, but beyond that I don't see any facts just conjecture kinda like a mob but no real reason.[/citation]
One of the big reasons frequenters of THG feel its popular to dislike Apple, and therefore, dislike Apple, is because you can build a PC, buy a PC, or buy a laptop for less money than what Apple sells.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

it think its LG that gives Apple the screens and Sharp, or at least they do as well...

Nills

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Apple patent in which consumers use a pinch-to-zoom gesture when they want to magnify an image on their screen.

Give me a break! Can people at least use there hands? Or is that a violation of Apple's patents. The touch gestures that Apple has patented are ubiquitous and essential for smart phones (what a stupid name) and laptops. The shouldn't be allowed to have a patent on this.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I could write about how dissappointing is the US patent system and stuff like that but all I can say right now is: this is pure and utterly bullshit!

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]doraemon[/nom]
*Awesome ass arguments*[/citation]

Someone give this guy a medal. You should be defending Samsung and educating the jury.
I salute your common sense, sir.

G

Korea should just stick up for one of their own company and just suddenly charge Apple an absurd amount! Ridiculous biased jury in America..

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]One of the big reasons frequenters of THG feel its popular to dislike Apple, and therefore, dislike Apple, is because you can build a PC, buy a PC, or buy a laptop for less money than what Apple sells.[/citation]
Duh What?! Yes you can build your own! I built a HackInTosh; mine's an X79 and much like this -> http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=264&t=57962

I have several OSes I can boot from including Windows 7 Pro x64 (primary), RHEL and a MacOS X (HackInTosh).

Unfortunately the standards for an appeal court, to overturn a jury verdict, are substantially higher than the "preponderance of the evidence" that is used at the trial court level. From Wiki:

Under the "arbitrary and capricious" standard, a finding of a lower court will not be disturbed unless it has no reasonable basis. For example, a finding of fact from a jury is seldom disturbed on appeal unless it is "arbitrary and capricious." The appellate courts will generally not review such findings unless those findings have no reasonable basis. For example, if a jury finds that a defendant used force during the commission of a crime, the appeals courts will not reverse this finding unless it has no reasonable basis in the testimony or other facts.

The other avenue for appeal would be the higher court finding that the lower court misinterpreted the law.

You'll be unlikely to buy any until Samsung changes them to avoid the Apple patents. I'm sure part of the ruling would be an injunction against selling them if they continue to infringe any patents or copyrights.

IIRC, it was Samsung got into patent trouble some 20+ years ago for infringing a US company's patents on DRAM and was prevented from importing any modules into the USA that infringed.

At any rate, the below n00b should take note of this:

[citation][nom]vkg1[/nom]The future is Linux (and derivatives eg android, if google continues to play nice, and if it doesn't then will just be kicked to curb in favor of new derivative of Linux) on hardware built in the East.All these companies like Apple, AMD, Intel, Microsoft, eventually Google, are walking dead as far as selling anything other than services is concerned. They cannot compete in either manufacturing costs or innovation. Any lucky good idea they might have will simply been integrated into competitor devices instantly and be rendered irrelevant. Mostly they will just be out-innovated, however. The region in the US where they currently live will be known as Silicon Ghost Town.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.