Apple CEO Tim Cook Says OLED Displays are Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I agree with him regarding OLED not giving accurate colours, but this will improve over time. The obvious benefit is power consumption, so you need to way up the pros and the cons.

anononon

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
wow this guy is really in panic mode these past couple weeks.

- Hates on OLED now, how much you want to bet the within the next 3 generations- They will eventually have one with "retina" printed on it claiming its better....

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]I agree with him regarding OLED not giving accurate colours, but this will improve over time. The obvious benefit is power consumption, so you need to way up the pros and the cons.[/citation]
dont oleds offer black levels on par with crts? i thought that was another major selling point to them.

bisso

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
"We built an ecosystem that is the best customer experience on the planet," Cook confirmed that Apple has paid $8 billion to app makers since iOS' inception.
The key word is : Customer, you have to pay ,99$ for a stupid I broke my phone joke app.

Cook instead stated that Apple's Retina Display offers a more enhanced option, partly because it's twice as bright. Samsung, Apple's chief competitor, has utilized OLED displays for several devices, including its flagship Galaxy S3 smartphone.
1. While Apple screens have indeed an outstanding color reproduction, the selling pitch for these screen is RETINA, which was meant to be for ultra high pixel density. The thing is, while the first screen to wear the name Retina had indeed an impressive pixel density, every other display that came out from other mobile products were inferior, lowering the bar to call a display retina. Meanwhile, Samsung, the guys Cook is comparing, make their display units. And their OLED dispays that are so "bad" actualy now have near as twice the amount of pixel density as the Retina. I am actualy suprised no one tried to remove this name as it's now a false advertisment, as it doesn't provide the minimum quality Apple advertised it to be in the first place.

He added that the majority of consumers either don't know or don't care how fast the processor is on a mobile device or PC, which doesn't matter if the experience is great.

You, old idiotic *****. First you tell us that Processor power means shit in mobile devices. Then you take 30 minutes in your keynotes to talk how 4x faster your new product is compared to your previous. And how 15x (false also) faster it is compared to a 3 years old (and half the price range at retail) phone from another company. If it aint important, why do you brag about your shitty phone performance?

This old man doesn't know how to run a multi billion business, but he sure does know how to be one of the greatest troll on Earth.

carbon12

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]dont oleds offer black levels on par with crts? i thought that was another major selling point to them.[/citation]

That is because on OLED displays full black is off... no backlight, no power consumed. Conversely, a full bright white screen uses more power than an LCD of similar size.

OLED color accuracy may lesser, but it's uniformity is higher due to no side lights... there were still complaints on the iPhone 5 that you could sometimes see light bleed on the edges of the display.

G

Hahahaha what a tool!

Went to a christening over the weekend, saw five iPhone 5 devices being carried around, every single one of them had cracked screens, and all of the iPhone users were huddled together oogling a S3!

sure, oled might be over saturated, but i like the colors. i dont care much about color gamut when it comes to phones, i will have a desktop pc for that (if you need it professionally).
and comparing retina vs oled? retina is high density pixels, not a type of panel. please correct me if im wrong.
they just put a name on the screen that has a good pixel density, but anyone can do that. Heck even nexus 10 is better in that department. The funny thing is, they can cramp all those pixels on a 4inch phone but they did not do it to the ipad mini. Of course they will use it to the next, and only fools would buy that even after they bought the first.

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
OLED looks better to me, maybe he's starting to go blind due to old age, cancer too maybe, just look at this hair and skin tone.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
No wonder Apple's stock drops everytime Cook speaks. Same old Apple...he's speaking of the exact same mentality that has kept Apple a niche computer maker for decades. He says: "Specs don't matter, it's the experience."...everyone hears: "We can't keep up, but we have some really pretty graphics". It's amazing how this is EXACTLY what Apple was saying 10 years ago, and 10 years before that when they were trying to compete in laptops and desktops. Ironically enough, he is right...experience is more important than specs...the problem is that in the tech world, we buy on specs. The experience keeps us coming back, but specs are what lure us in to begin with. Back when Apple actually DID have a better "experience", Cook's philosophy worked. But now it's time for Apple to find a new philosophy, because the competition is also offering a great "experience", on better hardware.

Oh and about Cook's trashing OLED...the color gamut on Apple's Retina displays is about 65%. Not something to brag about. Back when Retina displays were higher res than anything else available, they marketed on resolution. Now they don't have the resolution edge, but marketing on better color won't work because Apple competitors don't ALL use OLED. There's alot of SLCD phones out there with much better color gamut than the Retina displays. Besides, what's the color gamut on Samsung's 1920x1080 AMOLED display? Can't be much below 60%...even the most trained eyes aren't going to notice that.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]So you're all hatin' on me for THAT? Alright...here, listen to this...[/citation]

You're "Veteran" in this forum. And yet you acting like a retarded kid. It doesn't suit your rank. Be matured, everybody is tied to their own opinion. If you don't like it, the door is wide open for you.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

LOL, somebody's can't get a joke when it's right in their face? Awesome.

Come on, do it more. :3

Didn't you mean "Apple's Fools" day? %)

Tim cook is an idiot, the colour reproduction on oled screens exceeds that of AdobeRGB and from what i remember 110% of what NTSC is capable. i think the difference is that we have not had screens that have such vast contrast and vast saturation of the colour spectrum even greater than that of CRT's that they appear over saturated at times.

also i dont see how he can say the screens apple use have good colour reproduction as their colours are too hot showing more blueish whites than pure whites.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"If you ever buy anything online and really want to know what the color is"

That's a total fail argument. In my 20+ years in the business I have yet to find a single 'consumer' who asked me on how to properly set up his monitor so the colors will be actually accurate.
The only folks who asked my where pro Photographers and Video people.
The majority of monitors are calibrated wrong, just like most stereos have the bass boost cranked up to the max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS