Apple Claims Rights to ''Saveless'' Documents

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]tacobravo[/nom]Can I patent something that exists already and sue everybody?[/citation]

I am pretty certain that you can, if nobody has bothered to take out a patent yet!
Which is a rather dumb thing of course.
Imagine, you are a web kid doing some websites since, oh, say 1998.
You wrote yourself a function to automatically change a client's Tax rate when the customer edits the address in his profile.
Years go by and all works well on your little webproject, than some Patent troll takes out a patent on this "Method to upgrade Tax Info based on user supplied Geo Updated Information...) (they may even have seen this on YOUR site!!)... and bingo... YOU are in violation of THEIR patent.

It's sick.

BTW.... got to check now if I can patent this as I actually have been doing exactly that :)

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]raytseng[/nom]Then, instead of presenting the new paradigm to users, this is an issue with the Article writing/press release to map the concept to a familiar term that won't take an hour to explain, so we'll call it Saveless and have to compare it to "autosave".But....I think we've seen something along those lines already too (DrawSomething?)If I've misread it, perhaps I've come up with a new $5 idea here...[/citation]
Blender and OpenCanvas are other options that demonstrate the saveless paradigm. Blender likes to autosave backups from time to time. OpenCanvas will keep a complete history of a canvas you work on. I've also played video games that were saveless and used systems similar to what Apple is describing in their patent.

The ramifications of Apple being granted this patent are enormous. Most people are citing Word documents, but this goes out into digital art canvases and video games too. With the way Apple has worded their patent it could be twisted to include a Minecraft instance as something potentially covered by the patent.

I've said it before and I'll bring it up again, Patents are today's medieval weaponry.

gutso77

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Now I know what Apple is going to do with the huge amount of cash they have ..
They will patent everything they can until they run out of money !!!!
and the stupid system will obey.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
"Everygamer" said it perfectly A+++

Besides my complaints about the ridiculously broad patents, your point about the bullsh*t battles these companies are bringing to our courts and driving up the cost of REAL justice for deserving people is a very valid one.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This is BS! My 2000 era database program, Filemaker - which I still use today - doesn't have a SAVE function, anywhere! Whatever changes I make to the data or the design of the database is just saved, period.

Stop giving apple patents for prior-art and common sense. Who else has patented air or farts?

Status
Not open for further replies.