Apple Ditches Nvidia, Goes ATI-only for Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
this may have something to do with valve being massive ATI fanboys? no? steam on mac ect?

anyway, I recently did the same thing. I dono, I just get this feeling ATI are more reliable.

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Good move I'd say.

Ati's recent offerings offer the same performances at marginally lower prices and much less power consumption (so Apple saves on a LOT on PSU wattage). Just worried about Ati's drivers.

As for AMD CPU's, another good move. Given that Apple users aren't enthusiasts, there's no need for i5s and i7s.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Good job AMD, now bring out those 16-core Bulldozer CPU's by the beginning of next year and i swear i will pay anything between 300-800 for one! (still cheaper than Intels upcoming CPU's AND CURRENT high-end CPU's)

DaveWesh

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Im sorry but this just screams "we want to charge the same price for cheaper made computers" and When/IF they pick AMD cpu's up on the desktop line, It will just make the "Apple Premium" cost even more. I mean with Intel CPU's at least you get a decent Horsepower with the computer, AMD's have price/performance on their side which is what makes them great when you slap "price/performance" in a "premium brand" you aren't really getting "price/performance".

....Then again this hinges on the idea that they dont change the prices >_>

wittermark

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
i don't understand why there still so many people out there thinking AMD is POS, at my company, which we use workstations for 3d modelling/design, I currently sport a x6 1090T and its heaps faster than our i7's for graphic renderings. the i7 930 pulled 1min30secs rendering a scene while my 1090T did it under a minuite. so i'd say yes, good move on the AMD switch

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Apple customers must be chumps.

21-inch LCD
i3-540
4GB RAM
500GB HDD

$1200 Apple Mac
$600 Windows PC (max)

Even with the free shipping on the Apple option, this is an utter joke.
Please tell me why this company is still posting profits.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]L0tus[/nom]Apple customers must be chumps.21-inch LCDi3-5404GB RAM500GB HDD$1200 Apple Mac$600 Windows PC (max)Even with the free shipping on the Apple option, this is an utter joke.Please tell me why this company is still posting profits.[/citation]
Absolutely ridiculous amounts spent on their advertising campaigns?

Cwize1

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I can't help but wonder if this is some elaborate ploy of ATI and Apple against Nvidia and Adobe.

That is, those buying a new Mac Pro won't be able to use the GPU acceleration feature of CS5. This would mean less reason to choose CS5 over Final Cut and therefore less market penetration of Nvidia's CUDA.

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
What I find funny is that apple constantly totes that they have the most reliable products because they're so exclusive about the parts/software they use. (or should I say... allow the use of? They're worse about restricting things than most overprotective parents) And then they buy ATI, which has a consistent track record of faulty drivers.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bearracuda[/nom]What I find funny is that apple constantly totes that they have the most reliable products because they're so exclusive about the parts/software they use. (or should I say... allow the use of? They're worse about restricting things than most overprotective parents) And then they buy ATI, which has a consistent track record of faulty drivers.[/citation]
They're installing them wrong.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]bearracuda[/nom]What I find funny is that apple constantly totes that they have the most reliable products because they're so exclusive about the parts/software they use. (or should I say... allow the use of? They're worse about restricting things than most overprotective parents) And then they buy ATI, which has a consistent track record of faulty drivers.[/citation]

It's not like nvidia is better with regards to drivers though. Catalyst has been rubbish for a long time, but nvidia's unified driver package's been a gamble since the get go as well. Often being random if your geforce would work or not. It's gotten better after pcie, but it's still not perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.