Apple Now Worth More than Google and Microsoft Combined

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom] Remember when Microsoft was on top of the world? everyone hated them. I think the same will happen to Apple. In fact, it's already starting to happen to Google. [/citation]

Yes, but I think that's exactly what Apple is doing so well. Their products seem to me mostly unremarkable and overpriced (and I STILL DON'T GET what's so great about touch screens and tablets), but their marketing has been unequalled - this is Jobs greatest achievement. I don't think Apple makes better products than the rest, but they focus more on design, user friendliness, and making their products a 'must have'. And that's why I doubt the same will happen to Apple: after all, they have already passed Microsoft with quite a margin.

Most people don't know the ins and outs of what either company is doing, but they do know their new iPhone boots quickly, is very shiny and everyone wants to have one. They don't care for a 'lock-down' mentality, and ignoring Foxconn workers is something we've all become very good at (Apple isn't the only company to blame for something like that, either).

But as a true Apple-hater I would love to be proven wrong : P

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]AsTheDeath[/nom]Yes, but I think that's exactly what Apple is doing so well. Their products seem to me mostly unremarkable and overpriced (and I STILL DON'T GET what's so great about touch screens and tablets), but their marketing has been unequalled - this is Jobs greatest achievement. I don't think Apple makes better products than the rest, but they focus more on design, user friendliness, and making their products a 'must have'. And that's why I doubt the same will happen to Apple: after all, they have already passed Microsoft with quite a margin.Most people don't know the ins and outs of what either company is doing, but they do know their new iPhone boots quickly, is very shiny and everyone wants to have one. They don't care for a 'lock-down' mentality, and ignoring Foxconn workers is something we've all become very good at (Apple isn't the only company to blame for something like that, either). But as a true Apple-hater I would love to be proven wrong : P[/citation]

Here is how you can see if your right or wrong. Try using one of their computers for more than 5 minutes. Might help a bit.

gpog

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Defraud your customers by selling them locked-down drm infested el-cheapo hardware in shiny cases at exorbitant prices and enslave your factory workers to the level that many of them contemplate or commit suicide, and any company can be super profitable, especially if the narrowly owned MSM in payment for nefarious backroom agreements raves about whatever crappy product you put in the market while remaining oblivious about superior products put out by other companies. Yes we know the formula for Apple's success. It is called exploitation, jailing, lying, brainwashing, and defrauding. What is more tragic are the hordes of technologically-subliterate zombies still proudly trumpeting iCrap at every turn.[/citation]

Apple's customer satisfaction rating dominates the PC industry. Are they "defrauding" customers by simply making products that people like and you don't?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]I have used Apple computers. They were horribly slow and their aluminum cases felt cold, cagey, and slippery, or too hot to the touch. Overall the laptops lacked connectivity, and physical serviceability. With other laptops I could open them up and wiggle the memory modules, or make sure things were in place. With Apple's there was no way of removing the battery, or getting to the innards without extreme toil.... Their operating system provided no added benefits and lots of limitations, and at every turn it felt like I was being had by Steve Jobs with his incessant grab for his Zombies' wallets. I am proud to say those were not my computers, but those of neighbors desperately asking for my help.... I would never own an Apple product; if it were given to me, I would politely destroy it or leave it in the streets, or perhaps sell it on ebay. It is not arrogance, but that as an informed person I wont craw as low as Apple would want me to.[/citation]

Slippery? First time I have heard that term ever used when talking about a computer.....unlessss?????

Service ability, what exactly where you trying to service on a recent model MBP and why did you need to get to the inside of the laptop? Also, what limitations in the OS are you referring to. You made allot of extremely broad statements there. Care to provide some specifics?

I find it hard to believe that a neighbor was "desperately" asking for help when they could have just contacted support if they where having a problem especially a hardware issue.

Be honest here, tell us some specifics because it really sounds like the normal stuff we see on Toms Hardware at the mere mention of anything Apple.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Apple is forcing Microsoft ( and lots of other companies) to reinvent themselves in order to compete.

Yes, I have noticed many companies have started to manufacture laptops and phones lacking serviceability and charging an arm and a leg for their shiny cased locked-down devices--thanks to Apple's erosion of manufacturing standards. It is also likely that soon companies will use el-cheapo hardware to make their products and thus come even closer to iCrap.

Yes Apple has made it more fashionable for companies to openly defraud and jail their customers while boasting of how much they care for them.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Yes, I have noticed many companies have started to manufacture laptops and phones lacking serviceability and charging an arm and a leg for their shiny cased locked-down devices--thanks to Apple's erosion of manufacturing standards. It is also likely that soon companies will use el-cheapo hardware to make their products and thus come even closer to iCrap.Yes Apple has made it more fashionable for companies to openly defraud and jail their customers while boasting of how much they care for them.[/citation]

Oh stop with the dramatic BS dude. It is ok to have a preference but the idea that somehow you are more informed, more intelligent or more anything just because you prefer traditional Wintel machines is ridiculously arrogant and you loose what little credibility you have to second you start typing that nonsense.

This is supposed to be a technology site that talks about everything. You know why Toms has articles about Apple both positive and negative? It is because it attracts and audience that provides a way for them to monetize the site through their sponsors, affiliate programs and other revenue models and they have been at this for some time. Just so happens that conversations on Apple generate some really passionate discussion in both directions.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Funny how you get a thumbs down just by asking for specifics on the typical anti-apple rant.[/citation]
Apple products are generally made for people who don't have knowledge about the products they're using. Thus, that's the assumption people have when you appear pro-Apple. It's easier to dismiss you rather than try to explain.

slmarker

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
every one is posting now pay your workers more. I bet most of you posted this from your ipone or ipad. quit feeding the monster. I own zero apple products.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]v1ze[/nom]Apple products are generally made for people who don't have knowledge about the products they're using. Thus, that's the assumption people have when you appear pro-Apple. It's easier to dismiss you rather than try to explain.[/citation]
Sounds like a particular person in here we all know, when you pose a real humdinger you never hear a peep, otherwise it's 50 posts of yaaaaaaaaawwwwnnnnnnn

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]v1ze[/nom]Apple products are generally made for people who don't have knowledge about the products they're using. Thus, that's the assumption people have when you appear pro-Apple. It's easier to dismiss you rather than try to explain.[/citation]

Lol, try to explain what. I just asked for specifics about some of his claims. Apple products are designed to work and be problem free. Same as most PC products are, the problem seems to be that Apple just has done a better job on some things and the PC on others. Again, no problem with preference but if you can not backup your arguments with facts and just pull stuff out your ass because you really have no clue how to compare the two solutions for yourself and would rather just join the hate bandwagon then don't even try to act like you have some sort of intellectual superiority and definitely leave out the dramatic BS. The fact of the matter is there are both educated buyers and non educated buyers that buy both products. Just because you prefer one over the other does not mean that you are more or less informed.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
This wouldnt happen if Apple actually competed fairly. They are constantly sueing for this and that, hampering other companys with really anticompetetive buisness. Apple has actually passed the point where Microsoft got stoped by the Us government in the 90s.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Sounds like a particular person in here we all know, when you pose a real humdinger you never hear a peep, otherwise it's 50 posts of yaaaaaaaaawwwwnnnnnnn[/citation]

lol, a humdinger. How about some people have more to in their day that just monitor peoples posts in real time. Care to participate in a useful discussion where people can talk factually about two product types?

I have seen maybe ones on this place where someone actually provided really facts because they actually strong experience on both platforms. I personally use both, neither are perfect and both are solid solutions. You don't see me bashing one or the other nor do you see me making sweeping comments about people just because they happen to prefer one or the other. I just talk about the differences between the two platforms from the viewpoint of someone that has years of experience on both. For some reason anyone being realistic gets thumbs down or jumped on here. I happen to like a open and honest debat about the facts.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]panders4[/nom]Yeah, their stock value is bloated. Even with their bloated profits from overpriced products and underpaid workers, the diluted EPS was lower than Google. People just throw their money away.[/citation]

This goes to show a couple of things:

We are still tied much too tightly to the stock market to "prove" our worth, and

Americans, on the whole aren't as bad off as they think they are if they can spend enough money on iPhones ans iPads to make Apple look good enough that people will buy their stock for the prices they are.

;)

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]This wouldnt happen if Apple actually competed fairly. They are constantly sueing for this and that, hampering other companys with really anticompetetive buisness. Apple has actually passed the point where Microsoft got stoped by the Us government in the 90s.[/citation]

All these lawsuits are getting a little ridicules but even before they really got going there was an extreme anti-Apple crowd. I used to do the same thing when I was younger so I understand. I was building computers looked at the Apple stuff like they where toys. Got a bit older and decided to give one a shot due to a combination of hardware and software failures on couple HP and Dell laptops. My first one that I owned was a Macbook Pro G4. One of the best technology purchases I made in a long time. Changed by point of view completely and worked great for what I needed it for.

I love technology....period. But I do hate it when people bash other people for having a different opinion especially when they have no real experience the platform they are talking about. I mean seriously, there is still people on this site talking about the old 1 button mouse. Crazyness.

Have been coming to Toms Hardware for the last 15 years and it has changed allot over the years. It still is one of the better tech sites out there by far. Ashamed that Mac and PC fans can come and participate in conversation without being called idiots or any of the other creative names people call mac users here. Again, you can go to any so called "fanboy" sites out there and not see the level of sillyness that there is on this site.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]Looks like the cost of ignorance IS higher than the cost of education.[/citation]
Yes. Now let's talk about terror and war.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]I was just wondering... is there really a 460 Billion money? Or just a computer generated DERIVATIVE?[/citation]
They just multiply the number of stock shares in existance (float) by the current price of the stock. If anything it just proves how overinflated their stock price is because Google and Microsoft have accomplished far more than Apple ever has.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Oh stop with the dramatic BS dude.

Just so happens that conversations on Apple generate some really passionate discussion in both directions.

On the one hand you are asking me to stop my discussion, and on the other hand you are telling me that my discussion is like those generated in the forum. Come on dude, you cant have it both ways! I am of the opinion that you are either a technological imbecile or you don't get locked-down in exorbitant iCrap prison while wondering around cluelessly turning you other cheek to Steve Jobs ...You can't have both your cookie and eat it too.

I think it's kinda stupid to hate something, especially without having a good (well, as good as reasons for hating can get) reason and without knowing why you hate it.

I have a Mac laptop (I didn't pay for it) and I've had a look at it. I also have a Windows laptop from a similar time, the Mac is 2007 and the PC is 2008. The PC has an AMD Turion 64 x2 @ 2.00GHz and 2GB of DDR2 memory. The Mac has a Core 2 Duo @ 2.00GHz, I'm not sure what model CPU. It also has 2GB of DDR2. I use the Mac for basic stuff such as web browsing and MS office work. Using Palemoon (speed-optimized Firefox) on the Windows laptop would get very slow with large numbers of tabs, large being over 50 or 60. The Mac didn't have such problems. The Mac didn't slow down at all even with that many tabs open. I upgraded the Laptop to Windows 7 from the Vista it came with and the difference between the two laptops decreased substantially, but the Mac could still take more tabs open than the Windows machine. I got sick of Windows 7 fairly quickly since it wasn't much better and upgraded further to Windows Server 2008r2 x64. Only now can the Windows laptop take as many dozens of tabs as I can throw at it like the Mac can.

The Mac also has substantially more wireless LAN connectivity problems than the Windows laptop and is now less responsive too. In addition to the increased number of connectivity problems, it also takes more work on the Mac to fix each problem than on the Windows machine, even before getting Server 2008 r2 x64. After the upgrade to Server 2008, I no longer had any wireless connectivity problems caused by the laptop. I only noticed problems when my router failed and after fixing or replacing the router the Windows machine would have no trouble getting back on the network, unlike the Mac. The Windows laptop is serviceable so I can fix any hardware related problems in the rare event of such problems and the Mac is not easily serviceable, although I have not had any problems that required opening the chassis of the Mac. Before the upgrade to Windows server 2008 r2, the Mac was much more stable than the Windows laptop. Now neither machines have errors or other stability issues even though both are left on more or less 24/7.

The Windows laptop is much easier to change settings on and overall the UI is better for it's screen. They both have 1280x800 displays and this does not help the Mac when much of it's already limited vertical screen size is further limited by the application bar on the bottom and the bars on the top of the screen. The Mac also can't write to NTFS USB drives, although that is only a problem because I keep a USB flash drive to reinstall my Windows machine if I ever need t and it's formatted to NTFS since it's a bootable Server 2008 installation flash drive to speed up installation compared to DVDs. Overall, I prefer the Windows laptop. The Mac's keyboard has a backspace style key, but lacks a key with the functionality of the Windows delete key. It's inconvenient to be unable to delete things on both sides of a cursor with the touch of a single key. The Mac's application bar is no match for the Window's desktop bar in functionality nor usage, although the Mac's does look better. However, I value usability far more than aesthetics. I even kept the default theme of Server 2008r2 because it's faster and more convenient than the Aero interfaces. There's even more problems that I have with the Mac that Windows doesn't have, such as the use of the wheel on a mouse ot be clicked on a link to open a new tab in a web browser. The wheel click doesn't work that way in my Mac book. Don't even get me started on the inconveniences of using the Mac without a Windows mouse... It only has left click functionality. To right click you must hold down the Control key while you click if you don't have a mouse with a right button.

I would despise having a Mac desktop. The non-serviceability of the Mac laptop is acceptable on a mobile computer so long as it never has a problem, but a desktop needs to be easily serviceable and upgradeable. I wouldn't pay for an Apple product because the PC alternatives are as good or better in every functional way. When a machine like my Windows laptop that has the same RAM at the same speed and a weaker processor, yet is still as fast or faster and much more responsive, there is a problem. The Mac's have nicer looking cases, but I'd never pay for one. Then there's Apple's phones, all of which are either as good as or inferior to the Android phones, so there's no chance of me buying an Apple phone. Then there's the Ipods. Well, my android phone can also play music, games, and TV and can be plugged into computers and speakers. My android is also a lot cheaper, it's just an old Samsung Transform. I can also use software emulators on it to play games for Gameboy Advances and much more.

Can the iphone or ipod do that? I'm not sure, but even if they can I doubt they can do it any better nor any cheaper. Everything I can do with my Android, I can do for free, besides buying it outright and the phone/wireless internet. If I stopped paying Sprint I could still use my android for anything else besides as a phone and with wireless 3G internet. Actually, I can still use it as a phone through Skype and other methods when it's connected to a WiFi network. Really, if I had a new Android then I don't think that I'd ever even think about having an iphone because the Androids can have better hardware and I really like the Android market because of how much free software it has that does pretty much everything I could think of and much more.

Point is that Apple doesn't make better products even though they overprice their products. We all either knew or assumed that, but I know first-hand. I've played with a friend's ipod and still like my phone better. Beyond all of this, I can customize my PCs much more to my needs than I can any Mac. If I grow sick of any Windows UI I can go to softpedia.com and download a new one.

You can all hate Apple or hate PCs, but I don't hate them. My Mac was given to me for free and I don't think I should go out of my way to complain about something I was given for free. As I said, I don't hate them, but do I like them? No. I have less control over every aspect of my Mac than I have over my PCs. I can easily upgrade the hardware even in my PC laptop, even the CPU, memory, etc. I either can't upgrade the Mac or can't do it easily. The Windows operating system gives me more control over the system than the Mac and what control I don't have I can get through free third party programs.

I can do more with the PCs than I can with the Mac and I can make the PC much more secure than the Mac. I'd never pay for something more expensive than other options that are more or less better in every way that affects how I use it. Sorry Apple, but aesthetics and marketing crap won't make me pay for overpriced, inferior computers, especially when the Mac with a Core 2 Duo is slower than the PC with a Turion 64 x2 that runs at the same clock frequency. Of course, that is more because of the OS/software than the hardware, but I digress.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]magnus77[/nom]And NOT A SINGLE DIME of my money will ever be theirs[/citation]
With cross licencing agreements between so many companies... yes, some of your money still goes to Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.