News Apple Patent Shows a Mac Built Into a Keyboard

D

Deleted member 14196

This is been done all the way back to the Commodore 64 but I still like it especially for an office environment

The patent is probably about the single cable providing power, data and display in one.
It still strikes my as absurd. And even that "uniqueness" isn't really unique.

I can take my phone, plug in a USB-C based dongle or dock with PD-in, and boom, power, data, and display in one cable.

EDIT: If you want to point out the lack of a keyboard, at least in Samsung's Dex, the phone can still act as an "input" device.

Last edited:
Yeah, but if nobody thought to put this into a single cable before then there you go, new patent, it doesn't have to be a groundbreaking idea to be a patent it just has to be something nobody else has done before.
The "FTFY" is "just has to be something nobody else has patented before"

My Galaxy S10+ can do power, display, and data out of a single cable. Assuming this patent is recent, it's been done before.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Last edited:
I was about to suggest that Apple should sue Amstrad, Commodore, Atari, Sinclair, Thomson, NEC etc. for proactively encroaching on their patent 30-40 years ago... But there's that single-cable thingy.
It also means that if I build a computer that has a power in port and a Thunderbolt port, I'm actually okay - because the computer is supposed to work with a pair of cable. But it just happens that it can also work with power delivered through the TB4 cable. Oh Em Goodness!