Apple Patents Method to Bend Glass in Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Umm, glass has been bent since the Middle freaking ages!

G

Humans were able to bend glass for thousand of years, so why would the patent office award something that the ancient Roman/Greek/Chinese/Hindu civilizations were able to do, is quite sad and scary.

G

can someone please make any computer chips and patents it as A7 so make sure that apple will end of it A serial CPU production line at A6. hey. you want to get a big cut from apple. be patent smart.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jtarids887[/nom]can someone please make any computer chips and patents it as A7 so make sure that apple will end of it A serial CPU production line at A6. hey. you want to get a big cut from apple. be patent smart.[/citation]

No I'd rather just patent the letter A and than patent/trademark Apple as in the fruit. Than work my way up on letter B-Z so I can go after everyone. I also like to patent the way you file patents to the patent office via mail, email, in person, courier pigeon, etc. So I can go after more people as well.

Next stop law school, not sure why though considering this might just work with how things have been going lately.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom] I also like to patent the way you file patents to the patent office via mail, email, in person, courier pigeon, etc. So I can go after more people as well.[/citation] I thought IBM tried those shenanigans already?

panini

Honorable
May 7, 2012
The patent isn't for the bending of glass itself, it's for a specific procedure. Obviously, this uses new technology and modern methods, something that hasn't been done for "thousands of years."

This means other companies can still make bendable glass they may just have to come up with their own way of doing it even if it may be less efficient.

You guys need to chill when it comes to patents.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Urm. Flexible glass I do not see. I generally do not heat my phone up to 500-800 degrees during the course of my day as described by the patent(there was this one time after mexican). The Wired article states nothing of flexible displays only curved. What is this leap of faith?

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Just to let everyone know, the whole world going patent crazy was mostly (if my history is correct) due to one man - Guglielmo Marconi - the "inventor/pioneer" of the radio.

It turns out, several scientists (including Nikola tesla, Heinrich Hertz, Oliver Lodge, etc) were the actual inventors of wireless telegraphy who publicly demonstrated a working model.

Marconi, being a business man, saw the potential, stole the ideas, packaged their work in a nice little box, and patented it. After whom, others such as Thomas Edison were patent-happy.

Due to this, the entire scientific world was up in arms and everyone started to patent every little detail they possible could.

As far as I understand it, if a scientific-breakthrough is already publicly known or demonstrated, then that can't be patented, so there's obviously a reason why Apple were granted this.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

The new patent has been awarded by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. U.S. patent 8,336,334

Apple has no way to make this into a product, they don't have a fabrication plant for screens, they buy them from samsung. Looks like they are wanting to try and milk samsung for some money since this is probably part of samsung's flexible screen technology.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]panini[/nom]The patent isn't for the bending of glass itself, it's for a specific procedure. Obviously, this uses new technology and modern methods, something that hasn't been done for "thousands of years."This means other companies can still make bendable glass they may just have to come up with their own way of doing it even if it may be less efficient.You guys need to chill when it comes to patents.[/citation]

Dude, that is not the problem.
The thing is that ANY polymer, given specific heat, can be bent, retaining its properties. Major phisical-chemistry fact. So, why the frac does the god damn patent office award the patent for this?. This may be impairing research at universities big time (although glass is made of silica, probably this new glass is a polimer of it with another, short chained, plastic.)

fuck apple, man

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
the Patent system is becoming like a mafia today... who put the rules here exactly of what you can patent and what you cant? anyone asked himself this ? it is a gray area .. and it is not fair and is like a theft.

science should be FREE to every one ... patenting prevents knowldge from advancing FAST. JUST IMAGINE if some one patented the wheel thousands of years ago .. and no one could use it with his own ideas ...

the patent system should be closed all together. and let the people decide what to buy. you CANT steal knowldge coz knowledge should be FREE.

"Apple has patented a method that would see traditional glass screens found on a smartphone turned into a flexible display."
Here we go again. Half-baked info twisted to make it sound like something new.
Heating glass (besides it being ancient method) does not confer said glass flexibility. Only allows to bend the glass while heated into a new shape, that is retained until next heating process.
In case y'all wonder what the problem is with Zak's articles, here is a prime example. Next time y'all fall back in his defense, just remember this piece.
Bending glass is as old as civilization, regardless of technique. Yeah, maybe Apple described some new tools/methods to achieve this, but the principle is the same. There can not be a patent for this general idea, and if the patent is granted only for the specific tools used in the process, it can not be enforced, even if the end product looks similar, because the temperature (for instance) can vary just by 1 degree, making the alternate method an original one, not a copied one.
Conclusion: typical BS from Apple's patent factory.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
So Apple bent glass? Are they going to patent bendable ICs, chips and batteries next? Bendable picoSIM cards? Maybe Apple is just getting bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.