Apple Releases iOS 8.0.2 To Fix Issues Caused By The 8.0.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
"apple releases iOS 8.0.3 to fix problems with 8.0.2"

Apple makes the phones, how can they have so much trouble? Android has hundreds of devices, I understand with problems there, but iOS 8 only runs on a couple phones.

TechieNewbie

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
"apple releases iOS 8.0.3 to fix problems with 8.0.2"

Apple makes the phones, how can they have so much trouble? Android has hundreds of devices, I understand with problems there, but iOS 8 only runs on a couple phones.

I think you mean "apple makes the OS" yeah? Because Foxconn makes the phones (assembles at least) and TSMC fabricates their processors. Apple doesn't really fabricate anything per se, they outsource that to other companies. That said, the product produced is more or less standardized so I understand your point that it should all work.

ineed2know

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
I have an iPhone 5s, but I have held back on the v8 upgrade and I'm so happy I did. The world is moving too fast. Quality has taken another step back from sales and marketing, and getting the products to market.

I get it, you have to "call it done" at some point, but I'm tired of lousy quality across all products and manufacturers. In many cases, your "fix" is to get rid of a perfectly good, 2-year old product, and buy the next version because the manufacturer doesn't upgrade the firmware or drivers.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Apple considers itself to be a computer/hardware company, not a software company. They do make their own software for the most part, but they've always claimed that's only part of making their computers and devices separate and better than the competition. That's pretty much why they've never sold their OS with third party support and do not allow it to be installed on non apple hardware.

On another note, who would really stick their 5.5" phone in the back pocket while wearing tight jeans and then actually be shocked and complain it was possibly damaged? Duh! It's not a squishy flexible leather wallet or something like that. It's made out of glass, hard plastic, metal, and silicon. It even has a rather large flat battery in it. It's tiring reading about people blaming others for their own lack of imagination.

And one last note, anyone who says Android doesn't have bugs or glitches is in denial or just lying. I have had a Galaxy S4 Active for a while now and it has crashed more times and rebooted on me more times than even my old iPhone 3GS (whic rarely did). It is faster. It does do more. It has more features. But it has it's fair share of nuances for sure. The most annoying thing is probably given that it has a total of 2GB of RAM, but after a fresh restart of the device it only has about 400-500MB of free memory. I do have a few apps installed, but the only user installed app that's really persistent is the facebook app. Removing that only frees up about 50MB anyways. If I try and do something like click a link in the facebook app and view it in Google Chrome, when done reading return to facebook, then exit facebook, the Samsung Galaxy Touchwiz Launcher crashes and I have to wait about 30-50 seconds for it to restart so I can click on something. This happens at other times as well, usually involving using Chrome to look something up or having a couple tabs open at once before exiting. It's very annoying when trying to look something up for someone else who messaged you and then trying to reply with a response after you got the info you need. It's the same way on my wife's Galaxy Mega as well. So it's not just limited to my phone.

Anyway, I can go on and on with the bugs and annoyances I have with Android on Galaxy phones. But, the point is that fan boys need to drop the act. We need more of a focus on resolution to issues, and less trying to cover up Androids problems by making light of Apple's. It would be nice to finally get some fixes rolled out for the Galaxy line instead of just pretending they don't exist. One update per year is a bit lazy IMO. Especially when that update only makes some of the issues worse than before.

chesterman

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
@TechieNewbie.

Even with TSMC making the chips and Foxconn assembling the hardware, the whole phone is Apple designed. And sure that the chip-making and phone-assembling process are highly standarized.

I think this kind of problem happens for the same reason it happens on many other software: it's just too complex. The design and implementations are subject of human flaws =S

flowingbass

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Looks like they've missed an infinitely self replicating bender... He still on the loose bending iphone 6'es and shit. Dont be surprised if one day all of the world's water turns into alcohol...

"Apple said fewer than 40,000 users have been affected by these issues, but the company still pulled the update within 60 minutes of release and advised users who had already installed it to reinstall iOS 8.0."

How does Apple know how many users have been affected by the issues?

Community response must have been pretty clear to only need an hour of time in convincing Apple to stop issuing the patch.

If Apple and it's followers weren't so darned arrogant, people might not be so happy to watch them fail.

ineed2know

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
I agree, Android is buggier than Apple. But, that is because Apple runs on hardware that is well known to the software developers. It's the age old difference like the IBM PC Compatible verses Apple Macintosh, except on small handheld devices now. The more things change, the more they remain the same. I'm not staunchly pro Droid or pro Apple. However, when it comes to my phone, email, calendar, and communications, I don't want to waste time fixing those things. I want to spend my time on my clients. That is why I use an iPhone. Yes, I resent some of Apple's practices, their pricing, their "Genius Desk", and having to make appointments, and a type of communistic approach to their product line, but when I pick up the phone I want it to work every damn time. Just like my car.

"only 40,000 users?" That's a ton. I know there are millions of phones out there, but they should have done a test on all Apple employees first, and maybe some beta testers. I agree, its easy to miss software bugs, but I think Apple has gotten worse, not better, on having bugs in major releases.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
New iOS includes the degree to which you want to iBend your phone. Now at the settings bar you can select -15 to +15 degrees. Problem solved

kaptu100

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
@ThisIsMe
Why have you gotten so many down votes for sharing your personal experiences? Might it be, like cabriovw's up votes demonstrate, that you can actually spell?Intelligence and attentiveness is scary.. Or rather, is it that you have called into question the Messianic virtues of Android? I bet that the vast majority of Apple's critics here don't even own any Apple devices and jump on the hate train because it's fashionable. This article isn't even about Android, sheesh!

@ineedtoknow
I agree that they're missing more bugs of late, as far as I could tell iOS5 and 6 was flawless. I fear that Apple's focused approach to their devices is slipping and that they are trying to make everyone happy concurrently instead of making devices which they personally feel are best. Sort of design by committee like every other mobile manufacturer.

cabriovw

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
@ #ineed2know, I actually agree with you on the usability on a product, I own APPLE products "for my kids.' My wife has Andriod, Samsung phone and ASUS products. I have a Windows 8.* tablet, windows 8.* phone and a Windows 8.* All in one computer. All I want out of THEM is to invoice my clients and and stay in touch with them as well. That is PARAMOUNT. However I use a three different devices (Dell, ASUS and Custom built) Yet, ALL THREE, work in unison. most(99%) of Apple users (unlike you) have no idea how hard it is for a Software company (Microsoft) to accomplish that. Apple's marketing/bullying is MORE genius than their products will ever be. I never get viruses and have very little trouble getting a, hodge podge of different devices and software to work harmoniously. Apple users MUST go through limited channels for that. And yet I do NOT suffer from Malware and the like that some Windows users suffer constantly from. Must be a common sense thing with REAL Windows users VS just.... users; I don't know. But some people give Microsoft a BAD name and I wish they'd switch to Apple and STFU..

cabriovw

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

cabriovw

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
You have missed the point, much like like your Clone Trouper's blaster. My spelling/checking may not be great but my comprehension is amazing. Good luck in life.

cabriovw

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

cabriovw

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
BTW 'down votes?' LOL at you and the FAN boys. You people are just like when Plankton took over Bikini Bottom with the chum bucket device...'All hail Plankton'

Perhaps the down voting is due to his attempted hijack of this discussion thread about Apple's latest crop of bugs, and turn it into a discussion about Android bugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.