Apple Says Scratching on New Aluminum iPhone 5 is Normal

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm dissappointed but not surprised. I just inferred that the alumiinum was nano-coated or something to protect it. Well, my SGS3 is, appropriately, in a case, where even its plasticy plasticness won't get scratched. Call me sDumb but I like to keep my things in newish condition...guess that's because they cost money I had to work for.

nekoangel

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
I have bought aluminum products like SureFire flashlights that dont scratch easily, primarily due to the anodize process that is being used. Given that the iPhone is supposed to be a premium product, I am surprised that the black colored one is not anodized. Than again it wont mater when people cover up their phones with case covers.

halcyon

Splendid
I wonder if this is much ado about nothing. If its the same grade alumiinum as they use in their ipads, MacBooks, and MacPros then its high enough quality...if its not...why not? Funny thing is I took my wife to our local Apple Store today because I'mplanning to get her one...I did notice all the scratches on the demos around the connector but just inferred it was due to rough handling by customers.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Yeah right... I have a 2nd gen iPod Nano (also anodized aluminum), and I can't see any scratches on it. (except on the Apple logo, which looks like a slightly different treatment - perhaps that's what they used on the iPhone 5?)

G

what a stupid test! show me any phone that won't have a scratch at all if you do the same thing to it! yes the toddler may not be that strong but the mum scratched the damn phone with the keys herself first! pathetic! i am not condoning the type of material that apple used, i agree since it's more expensive than the 4s then the case should be sturdier. but do the same thing to any phone and it will have scratch and possibly a small dent on it as well

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
really...why are people complaining about this?...if you want to protect it then just get a case for it...problem fixed...nothing and i mean nothing is scratch proof....get a life people and stop acting like little bitches....this kind of stupidity really makes me mad...and who really puts their keys in the same pocket with the phone?...are you people that slow??? i guess common sense is not that common after all.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]I'll stick with my carbon fiber, water repelling nano-coated Droid Razr Maxx... thank you very much.[/citation]
lol...you forgot to mention the bloatware :)

cjyoung1

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Aluminum is soft stuff. Of course it's going to scratch. Besides, most anodization coatings are not wear-resistant, only cosmetic and somewhat corrosion-resistant. If you want real wear resistance, you need the thick anodization (type II, in MIL-spec parlance, if I remember right) of the sort you see on cookware. Apple's best bet would have been to brush it from the start.

G

How many days since the iphone5 is in the hands of consumers? Just image how they're gonna look in one year! I see a catastrophe in sales and brand image.

NiPPonD3nZ0

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
You're unboxing it wrong...

"It's normal..." they say... and people eat the bull**** like theres no tomorow...

oh the humanity...

derzemel

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I had my HTC One S in my pocket with a bundle of keys and dropped on the pavement and it looks as new (not even a little scratch). It seems the microarc oxidation (the NASA tech that HTC uses to protect cases) really works and I wonder why Apple ignored this to use anodizing.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]lol...you forgot to mention the bloatware[/citation]

Atleast with android u can install a rom in most cases to remove bloat. With Apple your kinda stuck with IOS so yea talk about bloat ware. I heard there maps are excellent thought.

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]I don't get why manufacturers insist on using these materials on phones. So many phones look great, but scratch way too easy. Why not make something that's actually going to stay nice looking. Cheap ass materials.[/citation]

they have to line their pockets somehow.

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]NiPPonD3nZ0[/nom]You're unboxing it wrong..."It's normal..." they say... and people eat the bull**** like theres no tomorow...oh the humanity...[/citation]

...but it's an iphone 5.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]fuxxnuts[/nom]they have to line their pockets somehow.[/citation]
Well...its a delicate balance between how a phone looks, feels, and how durable it is. Unfortunately, most people care more about how the phone looks and feels. Glass and Alumiinum looks and feels better than plastic. The answer? Uh...Hello. Motorola got it right quick, fast, and hurry wit their aircrafted alumiinum and kevlar Razr/Razr Maxx. I had one...and they completely got this correct. Now if the new Razr Maxx HD could meet or exceed the SGS3's specs in the Razr Maxx's body wit the Razr Maxx's battery...and be available on all carriers... well...well gosh...that would be the 2nd cumming.

Status
Not open for further replies.