Apple Says Scratching on New Aluminum iPhone 5 is Normal

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
uhh Apple... I have an AR-15 lower (aluminum) that doesn't scratch from 'normal use' and its part of a firearm!Maybe you should have chosen your finish and coating as a little better...

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]I'll stick with my carbon fiber, water repelling nano-coated Droid Razr Maxx... thank you very much.[/citation]
Don't rub it in...that's not nice. I want the body and battery of your phone with the guts of my SGS3.

craig_1000

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Look it is a new feature and will allow you to identify your iphone 5 when placed next to the millions of others out there, the scrathes act like a unique signature.

Apple is bringing back the uniqness in a different innovative way, billliant marketing is all that is needed and a good patent on this new type of tech.

I honestly don't know what all the apple bashing is about.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
this is typical marketing spin. The point is not whether or not it is normal for aluminium to scratch easily during daily use. The point is Apple should've considered this and chose not to use it.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]craig_1000[/nom]Look it is a new feature and will allow you to identify your iphone 5 when placed next to the millions of others out there, the scrathes act like a unique signature. Apple is bringing back the uniqness in a different innovative way, billliant marketing is all that is needed and a good patent on this new type of tech.I honestly don't know what all the apple bashing is about.[/citation]
Oh... I...think...I...get...it. No 2 iPhone 5's will scratch in exactly the same way. So...you'll have a uniquely and custom-scratched device. Genius...no...wait...iGenius.

sandlotje

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Clearly the answer is to shrink wrap all of our phones. Apple should do recall all of the phones issuing 5 million shrink wrap kits to the poor people who waited patiently for the 4G, a bigger screen and happily gave Apple hundreds of dollars.

"A shrink wrap a day keeps the skuffiness away!"

halcyon

Splendid
All jokes aside, if you're in the US, go to your local mall (in populated area...not out in the country-side) and stop at the Zagg stand and have them put an Invisible Shield on the front and back (and possibly sides) of your new iP5. It'll be highly protected (like forever) and, for us iSheep (just because I have an SGS3 doesn't mean I'm not in the club) will still be svelte. You can get the kits online and do it yourself, but I just let the Pros do their thing.

I hate to break it to you, but that just means Sony used horrible material for the screen. Screen "protectors" haven't been needed for years thanks to gorilla glass

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]I hate to break it to you, but that just means Sony used horrible material for the screen. Screen "protectors" haven't been needed for years thanks to gorilla glass[/citation]
I'm not taking any chances...I already have a Zagg IS HD on my SGS3...thankyouverymuch. My stuff needs to look brand-spanking-new (I mean manufacturer-sealed) for the duration of the time that I must look-at or use it. ...for I am an iSheep.

cgcontois65

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I also noticed scratches around the band - when I called Verizon - I was told that since it shipped directly from apple they would not do anything .. also was told that since I did not purchase a case through them that I must have scratched it.. I have been with verizon since 2002 its the only carrier I have ever had - we didn't just upgrade 1 phone we purchased 2 iphone5's 64gb.. so almost $1k later I'm told to go SCRATCH!!!

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]cgcontois65[/nom]I also noticed scratches around the band - when I called Verizon - I was told that since it shipped directly from apple they would not do anything .. also was told that since I did not purchase a case through them that I must have scratched it.. I have been with verizon since 2002 its the only carrier I have ever had - we didn't just upgrade 1 phone we purchased 2 iphone5's 64gb.. so almost $1k later I'm told to go SCRATCH!!![/citation]
Return the phones (shouldn't be too hard) and politely (please be polite) tell Verizon to kiss your @$$.

Nano State

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
You can get a DIY coating kit to make your iphone back scratch resistant.

http://www.nanostate.co/scratch-resistant-iphone5-macbookpro-ipad/

Hope that helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.