░░░░█░░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░█▀██████░█░░
░░░░░▀▄░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█░░
░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░█░
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░█░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░█░░

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Apple's reaping what it sowed, but even then, as a fan of technology in general, it pains me to see the advancement of technology and science stalling due to problems in totally different sectors like bureaucracy.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
It kinda reminds me of a article that talked about a possible parasite that resides within cells' nucleus: It's a mutated genetic piece.

Parasites within fleas, which has parasites within them as well...

Seems kinda similar to the patent warfare.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
This kinda makes me angry. I'm no fan of Apple, but this is far worse. Patent troll companies who do nothing except patent ideas that aren't their own or sue companies for so called 'patent infringement'. It's just stupid..

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I read those patents that were listed. They do nothing more than describe pre-existing products, techniques, and methods that long predate their filings. I have been using and installing products that have infringed these patents for years before their claimed discovery/invention even existed.

[citation][nom]ThisIsMe[/nom]I read those patents that were listed. They do nothing more than describe pre-existing products, techniques, and methods that long predate their filings. I have been using and installing products that have infringed these patents for years before their claimed discovery/invention even existed.[/citation]

Patent descriptions don't mean anything. The specific claims are what matter. It is entirely possible for two different patents to do the same thing via different approaches.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
If you're not from America ignore this:

Look I understand the Apple hate and everything. I am by no means an Apple user of any sort. But you guys are looking at this all wrong. I hear these comments about people wanting Apple to be destroyed. We need companies to succeed in America, they create jobs. Without industry power we will lose our economic strength. I've lived several places internationally, and I would rather have the economical power of the US. Innovative products, availability, price.

Hate all you want, you DO NOT HAVE TO BUY. People think apple has a gun to your head to buy their products. They are ~15% of the personal computing market or something? why does this bother you do badly? Hate them or not they push other manufacturers to develop new stuff, i.e. the Nexus 10 has the new highest resolution screen. Would they be pushing technology without competitors? Yes, but more slowly for sure.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]baconeater[/nom]If you're not from America ignore this:Look I understand the Apple hate and everything. I am by no means an Apple user of any sort. But you guys are looking at this all wrong. I hear these comments about people wanting Apple to be destroyed. We need companies to succeed in America, they create jobs. Without industry power we will lose our economic strength. I've lived several places internationally, and I would rather have the economical power of the US. Innovative products, availability, price.Hate all you want, you DO NOT HAVE TO BUY. People think apple has a gun to your head to buy their products. They are ~15% of the personal computing market or something? why does this bother you do badly? Hate them or not they push other manufacturers to develop new stuff, i.e. the Nexus 10 has the new highest resolution screen. Would they be pushing technology without competitors? Yes, but more slowly for sure.[/citation]
People are ignorant. Just look at comments from the last election. Republicans would rather see America be destroyed than support Democrats. Unless someone works for one of the companies or owns stock in them, then it's stupid to be blindly loyal or blindly hate one company, or to single out one company as "the worst" when they're all the effing same.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]People are ignorant. Just look at comments from the last election. Republicans would rather see America be destroyed than support Democrats. Unless someone works for one of the companies or owns stock in them, then it's stupid to be blindly loyal or blindly hate one company, or to single out one company as "the worst" when they're all the effing same.[/citation]

Ignorant people are those who don't see that it's all a puppet show. Doesn't matter if the president is Democrat or Republican, because they are owned by the same puppet master. They are just putting on a side show and arguing about tiny social issues that aren't even decided by them but by the states. You really think being pro-life or choice matters, when these issues aren't even decided by the president? These 2 parties are 93% the same. They spout off different rhetoric but act the same. More wars, less liberty, more bail outs to their buddies, counterfeiting more money...etc. Look at the past actions of Bush and Obama, they mirror one another. Do you really think these guys are any different?

mdahlke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
[citation][nom]baconeater[/nom]If you're not from America ignore this:Look I understand the Apple hate and everything. I am by no means an Apple user of any sort. But you guys are looking at this all wrong. I hear these comments about people wanting Apple to be destroyed. We need companies to succeed in America, they create jobs. Without industry power we will lose our economic strength. I've lived several places internationally, and I would rather have the economical power of the US. Innovative products, availability, price.Hate all you want, you DO NOT HAVE TO BUY. People think apple has a gun to your head to buy their products. They are ~15% of the personal computing market or something? why does this bother you do badly? Hate them or not they push other manufacturers to develop new stuff, i.e. the Nexus 10 has the new highest resolution screen. Would they be pushing technology without competitors? Yes, but more slowly for sure.[/citation]

It's not about hating Apple or the competition they provide. It's the fact that they claim to be something over and over again when they are not. How many of their commercials say that they are "innovative"?
All of them.
How innovative are they?
They are not.
Almost everything they have claimed to have done first was done before them and better than them (I wouldn't be surprised if they claimed they have revolutionized GPS and maps for mobile devices).
They are liars, and they cheat the people who do not have a passion for technology like the people that frequent this site and that is not why we are in this industry.
Apple has made good products but they claim that they innovated all this stuff when in fact they haven't.
They have also come out with 4 almost identical phones and put a different number behind it (and in one case an s) and said "thanks for bending over."

p.s. Why would you advertise $10 earbuds when you are trying to market your "lastest (new iOS) and greatest (same shit, different phone)" product?
"You're ear isn't round. We don't know what shape it is. So we innovated a new shape and we're calling it ovalish. Buy our overpriced phone that you already have."

G

apple is stupid for having high prices. if they competed with PC, they would win hands down. Guess they don't want to own the market? It's the best of both worlds. All the programs of Windows with the power of Unix! and some other apple stuff like facetime. only thing missing is affordable prices. then apple would rule the world.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]thebrettman[/nom]apple is stupid for having high prices. if they competed with PC, they would win hands down. Guess they don't want to own the market? It's the best of both worlds. All the programs of Windows with the power of Unix! and some other apple stuff like facetime. only thing missing is affordable prices. then apple would rule the world.[/citation]
"All the programs of windows" Yeah, right.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]mdahlke[/nom]It's not about hating Apple or the competition they provide. It's the fact that they claim to be something over and over again when they are not. How many of their commercials say that they are "innovative"?All of them.How innovative are they?They are not.Almost everything they have claimed to have done first was done before them and better than them..."[/citation]

Innovation is not to invent something from zero as no single human could claim any invention under this premise. Also asking a premium price for a product is as old as civilization.

Apple didn't invent the tablet or the smartphone or even the digital music player but then they created their own solution and those products succeeded as commercial devices where others didn't have the same success. Say all what you want but Apple innovated or improved on certain areas on those devices that made them attractive to regular users, and yes that is innovation.

You wouldn't say Mercedes, Toyota or Lamborghini are not innovators because they didn't invent the automobile. They created their own versions and became very good at it and they ask for the premium price anytime their vehicles offer premium features. Is up to every person to consider, buy and ultimately make it a success or a failure.

But I guess by your standard if you buy a sport car or any luxury or fancier product at all then you feel you are buying a faked none original, overpriced product. You hate it and will never stop. So you will never buy a premium chocolate that is not the cheapest and the original product.

And for the real point in this article we as a society need to redefine constantly how are we going to deal with technology or design as the boundaries are getting very complex and there always exist the risk from some opportunists. So let see how all this patten war lead us to redefine new rules, hopefully.

oblivionlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
jjecastej

This is a false statement....
"Innovation is not to invent something from zero as no single human could claim any invention under this premise."

Karl Benz did invent the first self-propelled Automobile in 1886 called "Benz Patent-Motorwagen". This IS considered an invention because it was the first 'self-propelled' automobile. The concept of the wheels and engine as well as other hardware used in the making of this automobile are considered innovations since they were based off preexisting inventions yet still his own design.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]This kinda makes me angry. I'm no fan of Apple, but this is far worse. Patent troll companies who do nothing except patent ideas that aren't their own or sue companies for so called 'patent infringement'. It's just stupid..[/citation]
Unless the company developed the patent and idea and tried to find a use for it. and were unable to find a client/corporate client or unable to put two and two together in this market(IE unable to market the product). No? There are three sides to each story man. Party 1, party 2, and the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.