Apple Sues Australian Grocery Store Over Logo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Too bad the remaining Beatles don't sue Jobs.

Apple records was around WAYYYYYY before the first MAC.

1968 to be exact.

Imagine all the people......not suing for stupid crap todayyyyyyy.

Give me a freaking break. They look nothing alike.

Gee, Apple... there's a internet company in my town that has a red apple with a green leaf on it for their logo. Maybe you should sue them too!!

One more reason to stand fast in my refusal to purchase Apple products.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
They will lose, a complete waste of their time and resources. If I was a shareholder I would be infuriated by this news.

sn4re

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Actually this isn't nearly as bas, as this article is making it sound.
Hope Tom's isn't going to take this as advertising, but there was an article over at Engagdet about this, which explained the standard procedure for filing a trademark. Basically before being granted a trademark, there is a period where it is shown to other companies and if any of them feel like there are any similarities or overlap, they can speak out. And BTW, this happened in March, so a few months late. So Apple isn't attacking these guys head-on - it's more like they were shown this logo and asked if they have any problems with it, and they replied, that they see overlap.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
NOTE: Apple Stole their logo from The Beatles and were suied for it twice. hence the reason their was no Beatles on iTunes store for so long.

rako77

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Well I'm from australia and actually work for Woolworths and I guess apple might try to claim any apple that has been carved for a logo is too smiler to there's. Being a supermarket there is nothing they don't try to sell that's why the need this blanket trademark as they even sell credit cards and sim cards and a range of electronics. the 2 main supermarket chains in australia have a huge monopoly which I guess apple must hate monopolies. woolworths also ownes a range of stores one of them being dick smith is actually an apple certified reseller. so lets hope any companys owned by woolworths stop selling apple products that will put a dent in apples Australian market share.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
thats ok Apple, If i recall correctly, they will be able to keep it as long as they don't enter the same industry as you? you know kinda like the exact same case you faced when the shoe was on the other foot and the beatles management company sued you for using the 'Apple' trademark that they already had?

DIDN'T STOP YOU DID IT!! you entered their industry anyway just to rub it in!! bunch a hypocrites!!

clayman1982

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I work for a small company that makes logistics software. We were sued by Apple for calling a product we made epod. We changed it to e-pod. ;)

ryall

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Apple sued me for taking a bite out of an apple and effectively creating a 3D version of their logo. We reached an agreement out of court under the condition that I take a second bite of my apple.

programit

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Woolworths is a self loving hyped up company that abuses its power and resources for its own profit, at the expense of its customers, its service , its quality and its community. Just like Apple!
They SHOULD share the same logo. Bad apples!

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
What the fuck Apple? Are they really that desperate for money? Or are they just good at being evil? I used to think that Microsoft was the dark side. But now I think Apple is.

Hell Apple is even just making an OS thats based off a FREE OS cost money.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]Hah. Appl started the year at about $90 a share and is now at $188. 52 week range is $78-$188...Not bad, now if only MS were so worthy.[/citation]

haha if only apple had as many shares as ms that would be quite impressive. but even if apples shares were worth say 1 million a share but ms's were only worth $1 but hell ms could have 4 billion more shares. i think i still rather have control over ms.

[citation][nom]grumpoz[/nom]don't believe everything you hear, go read the real truth about this here:http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/05 [...] ia-in-hys/basically apple is NOT suing Woolworths and woolworths is using the media.[/citation]

um says basicly the same thing dude.. but i dont actualy care so bleh hf with that.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]grumpoz[/nom]don't believe everything you hear, go read the real truth about this here:http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/05 [...] ia-in-hys/basically apple is NOT suing Woolworths and woolworths is using the media.[/citation]

Take your own advice and quit spreading FUD.

www.smh.com.au/.../apple-claims-woolies-is-getting-fresh-with-new-logo- 20091004-ghxe.htm

AUS DID sign an FTA, and the US now seems to think that gives it the right to step all over Aus' IP? I think not, yank-wanker.

stolenapplelogo

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
this gives me the impression that Apple need money desperately... in the end I hope it costs them dearly, and creates precedent against them.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
This is outrageous! I was expecting the Apple logo but with the bite on the opposite side or something, but when I looked at this logo it didn't even remotely remind me of Apple's logo! Hey Apple - how about a lawsuit against Apple Auto Glass, or the hundreds of school supply companies that have an apple on their labels - oh oh, and how about every single shopping center that sells apples!!! Apple is such a douchebag company! By the way, ppl should research the history of iPods, you might be pleasantly surprised just how little Apple had to do with it...

beamed24

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
How about Apple suing the state of Washington because they are known for Apples! or better yet, Suing Boeing (lead sponsor) for the "apple cup" game between University of Washington and Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.