Apple to Become World's Largest PC Maker in H2 2012?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Sadly, that's not true. I've heard SO many people saying how they'd buy a Mac WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT if they had that kind of money to spend. You see, they don't mind complaining that their $500 bloated WinXP desktop performs like crap, but what they don't realize is if they wouldn't install every antivirus, browser and social app offered to them and would invest half the Mac's price into their machine, it would completely outperform the Mac....

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
So if you can become the biggest seller of XYZ thing, so long as you are allowed to include items that are not XYZ thing
There's a phrase for this, it's called "moving the goalposts"

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Dear Canalys analysts,

What you are talking about are Desktops, not PCs, when you are mentioning Macs. Yes some tablets are PCs because they are bus oriented x86 architecture, but Macs are not.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]MacCheese[/nom]Without a real definition for PC, its hard to make the call. "I can't tell you what a PC is. I just know that apple doesn't make any," will not do. I know plenty of people who get no closer to content creation than emails and forum noise on high end Alienware/Falcon Northwest. Are those also not PCs? I do numerous PC esque tasks on my iPad. I really don't on my phone (because working on a screen that small is just awful), but I could if I wanted to bad enough. Really, what does anyone care anyway? If Apple IS the number one maker, are you going to love them then or go out and buy what you like? Apple not being number one didn't make them go away. Just use what you like and don't worry about it.[/citation]
PC is bus oriented x86 architecture computer. New Macs are x86 based, but they are not bus oriented. Some tablets are PCs because they conform to this requirement. What Macs and PCs share is formfactor, basically just shape and that is not what defines PC. Smartphones are computers, but they are not PCs, most are bus oriented but are not x86 based architecture.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]Wikipedia defines a PC as a general purpose computer for individuals. A PC has several types: desktops, mobiles like laptops, netbooks, tablets, pocket PC.[/citation]
Computer Science defines PC as bus oriented x86 architecture. "Types"??? Those are form factors, not types.

Don't trust Wikipedia.

Ichy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]A tablet is NOT a PC.[/citation]

your wrong there, the classification of a computer includes the most basic of calculators. a PC or PERSONAL computer was coined as families were able to own their own computer, much like having their own tv. Now lets look at the tablet. It makes computations, there for it must be a Computer. can a single individual own one? yes. That makes it a Personal Computer. thus a table IS a pc.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Ichy[/nom]your wrong there, the classification of a computer [/citation]
'Computer'

We're talking 'PC', not computer. Else we'd be including every single microcontroller chip in existance, and I guess Apple would have a market share of

PC accessories like smart-phones, tablets, and even Netbooks are not personal computers because of the limitations that are placed on the user. Yes, the line is beginning to blur, and as more software is written for ARM architecture, and as more x86 processors infiltrate the mobile segment many of these limitations will disappear, but as of now (and my bet is for 2012 as well) you cannot use a mobile device as your main machine and your 'personal computer'.

For apple in specific, they do not make personal computers. A personal computer must be property that an individual owns. Sadly nobody but Apple owns apple computers. When you purchase an Apple your are buying the rights to use their computer, but you do not own the computer itself. In a practical sense it may be yours to keep indefinitely, and to repair when the logic board or HDD dies, but if you look in the fine print you will find that it is not technically yours.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Can we re-categorise tablets please? How about Personal Media Consumption Device, or PMCD.

Because they are most definitely, not Personal Computers.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Getting passed the whole "is a tablet a PC" argument. I've personally noticed a huge spike in people using Mac laptops.

5 years ago Macs would be extremely rare to see, now I can't go anywhere without seeing lots of folks using Macs. You go to the airport, coffee shops, inside large and small corporations and they are everywhere!

I've been using both Mac and PC professionally for 6 or more years. And for actual work, I prefer a Mac. In a corporate environment it's almost a guarantee that if you get a Mac, it will be far better then the standard issued PC laptop. Macbook Pros are sweet laptops.

At home, I don't use Mac though. I stick to a custom built gaming rig, which is better than any Mac.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]BlackHawk91[/nom]Gruener praising apple again? Now that's new -_-[/citation]

Where was the praise? He was clearly referencing a report by Canalys...any major statements were cited as quotations...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Steveymoo[/nom]Can we re-categorise tablets please? How about Personal Media Consumption Device, or PMCD.Because they are most definitely, not Personal Computers.[/citation]
Well, not all tablets, some tablets are PCs, like the 10 year old laptops with rotating screens, but as far as an iPad goes it is not a PC. In fact neither is an Android based tablet either.
If you were able to install OSX, Windows or Linux on an iPad then yes the are, but while it uses a "toy" OS then it is not a personal computer.

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Schools? ? ? Seriously have you been to a school in the past 10 years?I am a teacher. I have worked in several districts and in the past few years, Macs are ALL I see and that trend is growing fast. Schools are the last place that Dell is "doing good."[/citation]

Yes, but that trend is already fading faster than it started. Schools are dropping Apple products left and right because of the extremely high maintenance and replacement costs as well as having major issues with compatibility between home and school generated content and malware infections due to poor maintenance from believing the hype that they are more secure.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
All "hate" aside, I think I'll wait to see if this prediction comes to pass. Also, keep in mind that the term "PC" continues to evolve so it is difficult (if not impossible) to compare apples to apples (no pun intended) in this argument. More like comparing apples to hamburgers by today's definitions.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I'm actually a bit suprised, because I didn't realize that Apple produced any PC's? (IBM compatable Personal Computer, featuring ether the x86 or x64 architecture). Macintosh, iPhone, iPad, and nearly all Android devices are NOT PC's...except in the deluded world in which reporters and researchers (who want to get a specific output) live in.

Mac is x64, so it qualifies as a PC. Recently, some idiot asked me "Do you use Mac or PC?" My answer stunned him: "Mac IS a PC!" :D

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
A tablet is NOT a PC, unless it comes rooted so you can have intimate access to the hardware and run whatever software you want on it. Therefore, tablets that are sold are NOT PCs but play things that run 'apps'

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Will everyone please stop using the acronym "PC," instead of using "computer"? LOL

Off topic: does anyone else think that Halo 4 will be released for 360and Windows 8? I think so, because Microsoft wants to add the "marketplace" into Windows and have 8 look more like a tablet, which means they want all devices (with Windows) to be more cross-compatible. Anyone else think so...?

G

You guys don't get it, do you?

You are dinosaurs

The Altair was the first PC

Today's generation (except for young guys eating potato chips and soda in a basement) is all about MOBILE COMPUTING

In five years, no one but geeks and professionals will own a desktop anymore than anyone owns a personal minicomputer

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]reality 30[/nom]You guys don't get it, do you?You are dinosaursThe Altair was the first PCToday's generation (except for young guys eating potato chips and soda in a basement) is all about MOBILE COMPUTINGIn five years, no one but geeks and professionals will own a desktop anymore than anyone owns a personal minicomputer[/citation]

Ya but these mobile devices cannot do everything and they don't come rooted. They are play things until you root it and start running the software you want on it, without having to deal with the 'appstore' and apps. Let me code in ARM on the tablet (with I don't know, the ARM version of the Bloodshed development software) and tell it to compile and run my code! That's a computer.
The processing power is getting there with these mobile devices, maybe in five years they'll be powerful enough to do everything my gaming laptop can do right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.