Apple to Become World's Largest PC Maker in H2 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"However, if we assume for a moment that tablets could be considered PCs..."
^I stopped reading here.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Wikipedia defines a PC as a general purpose computer for individuals. A PC has several types: desktops, mobiles like laptops, netbooks, tablets, pocket PC.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I'll add this: A tablet is no more a PC than a phone is a PC. A tablet (while great), is nothing more than a big phone without "phone" functionality. If they ARE going to consider a tablet a PC, then all smartphones must be considered PCs as well.

Either way, a tablet is NOT a PC. Nor is a phone.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Apple has had a great run, and it will probably carry for a year or two or five even. But eventually trends fade. I wonder though what the PC market will look like then. I would bet that by then Dell has gone the way of Gateway, off to the graveyard of non-competitive tech.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]Wikipedia defines a PC as a general purpose computer for individuals. A PC has several types: desktops, mobiles like laptops, netbooks, tablets, pocket PC.[/citation]

Your post began going downhill when you started your sentence with "Wikipedia". How about next time you use an actual dictionary.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]Tablet = PC??? You might as well include smartphones. How stupid.[/citation]
and calculators and cash registers. That will bring back IBM.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Apple has had a great run, and it will probably carry for a year or two or five even. But eventually trends fade. I wonder though what the PC market will look like then. I would bet that by then Dell has gone the way of Gateway, off to the graveyard of non-competitive tech.[/citation]

Dell may disappear in the consumer market but it still very strong in the commercial area. Schools and businesses love em, and their business laptops are pretty nice. My 4 year old Latitude works like a champ. All I had to do was replace the battery, which is common on laptops anyways, and the thing was only 20 bucks on Amazon so no big deal. It's their consumer laptops that suck.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
A Tablet is a Personal Computer.... It's a computer, and it's used personally... in most cases.

A Smartphone is a Computer and is Very Personal, could include those too.

A PC or Personal Computer can be a pretty broad category.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
If you think a Windows based Desktop computer is the only type of PC, you've seen too many apple Commercials and need to learn to think with some level of logic and reason.

runswindows95

Distinguished
To me, PC = a device where I can use a full-sized keyboard, a mouse, and can run at least one or more monitors.

I do WAY too much word processing to downgrade to any less than a 15.6" laptop. I could use a netbook, but man, try reading a Word file with 5,000+ words on a 10" or smaller screen.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I concur... tablets are NOT PCs. They're not even Macs, per se. They are simply mobile devices (sophisticated mobile devices, but mobile devices nonetheless).

Let us have a more reasonable definition of a PC... better yet, rather than defining what a PC is, let's just say that in order for something to be classified as a "PC" for the sake of market analysis, then the devices must be comparable in abilities. So, we can say that a laptop can be used in lieu of a desktop. A Mac can be used in place of a Windows-based PC (yes, I know, not for gaming purposes... I was being more general). A device like an iPad, however, can NOT be used in lieu of either a Windows or Apple based desktop or laptop computer. Therefore, someone buying an iPad was not in the market for a "PC" to begin with. That would be like saying that auto shipments are up because people are being more bicycles.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]If you think a Windows based Desktop computer is the only type of PC, you've seen too many apple Commercials and need to learn to think with some level of logic and reason.[/citation]

Why did you have to add "Windows based"? Apple fanboy much? All we're saying is that there has to be a limit to what a PC is. Otherwise we can include anything that is personal and a computing device. My PDA, smartphone, not smartphone, xbox, hell my radio could fall under that definition if you want.

I like what jellico said, "...someone buying an iPad was not in the market for a "PC" to begin with. That would be like saying that auto shipments are up because people are being more bicycles." It's true, they were never going to buy a desktop/laptop which would be a PC under most peoples definition of a PC.

simplelance

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Those Atom netbooks get counted as PCs, even the early 7-inch Asus EeePC, which have very little practical use.

So, I don't mind counting the very useful iPad as a PC. You can get an optional keyboard for the iPad (if that what it takes to be labeled as a PC). The same goes for the Asus transformer.

I think that personal computing has changed in the last few years. It has become more personal (something that you can take with you without being a burden).

I also don't mind calling my smartphone a PC. I can do almost everything with it that I used to do with my desktop. Sure, there are things that you can't do with the smartphone. But the same can be said with the limitations of netbooks. And it is also true that there are things that you can do with a smartphone that you can't do with a desktop.

So for me, any of these mobile devices that allow me to surf the web, check-email, do online shopping, online banking, play games, manage my calendar, install applications, store data, be entertained (music, video), I consider them to be my "Personal Computer". It does not have to be "desktop".

Oddly, people called the CGA, 8 mhz IBM DOS desktop a PC.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]I concur... tablets are NOT PCs. They're not even Macs, per se. They are simply mobile devices (sophisticated mobile devices, but mobile devices nonetheless).Let us have a more reasonable definition of a PC... better yet, rather than defining what a PC is, let's just say that in order for something to be classified as a "PC" for the sake of market analysis, then the devices must be comparable in abilities. So, we can say that a laptop can be used in lieu of a desktop. A Mac can be used in place of a Windows-based PC (yes, I know, not for gaming purposes... I was being more general). A device like an iPad, however, can NOT be used in lieu of either a Windows or Apple based desktop or laptop computer. Therefore, someone buying an iPad was not in the market for a "PC" to begin with. That would be like saying that auto shipments are up because people are being more bicycles.[/citation]
I agree, but what if a tablet has Windows 7 and an external keyboard? It could then be used in place of a PC.

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Most people use desktop to do basic things like surfing the web and watching movies. Tablets can do the same, so maybe they have a point. But desktop and laptop computers are meant to allow you to do more broad tasks that tablets, so I guessing this is were the conflict is.

Status
Not open for further replies.