Apple to Discontinue 17-inch MacBook Pro, Predicts Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Well, look at the price...
It's the worst ripoff ever, even by Mac standards. No wonder the sales are bad.
If they lowered the price by almost 500$, then it might sell.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
It is a niche product: The 13.3 and 15 inch models are cannibalizing the sales of the 17 inch model because the price descrpepancy is too high to justify the increase in screen area, particularly with no increase in actual resolution...

If they offered something unique: more resolution, higher quality panels, value pricing, more people would buy the Mac Book Pro 17 as their desktop replacements. But as it stands, they are just too expensive for all but the most niche type customers...

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]chuckydb[/nom]Well, look at the price...It's the worst ripoff ever, even by Mac standards. No wonder the sales are bad.If they lowered the price by almost 500$, then it might sell.[/citation]
Apple rather discontinue an entire line of products than dropping it's price apparently. They just need to die a fast and lulzy death.

halcyon

Splendid
For some reason this news saddens me. I auditioned a 17" MBP (an audtion is all it turned out to be) and took it back for my current 2011 15" MBP due to some SSD issues that were common at the time (6GB/s SSDs were causing OS hangs, etc.). ...don't know if they ever got that resolved but the 17" screen and that huge unadulterated slab of CNC'd aluminum was nice.

Yes, the 17" anti-glare MBP is not economical but neither are a lot of luxury items.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]It is a niche product: The 13.3 and 15 inch models are cannibalizing the sales of the 17 inch model because the price descrpepancy is too high to justify the increase in screen area, particularly with no increase in actual resolution...If they offered something unique: more resolution, higher quality panels, value pricing, more people would buy the Mac Book Pro 17 as their desktop replacements. But as it stands, they are just too expensive for all but the most niche type customers...[/citation]
What do you mean with no increase in actual resolution? The 15 inch mack book pro has native resolution of 1440x900 while in the 17 inch is 1920x1200.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]50,000 at only about 2200 a pice that is still 110,000,000 . whey would they stop.[/citation]

High fixed costs.
The cost of developing the 17" model and setting up a production line is probably not worth it, if they only sell so few units.
The CnC-milling of the aluminum chassis is also different to what pretty much all other 17" laptops have. Maybe that's particularly expensive or something.

halcyon

Splendid
The 17" MacBook Pro has always been expensive...but with the economy being what it is there is less capacity to spend on something like this. ...I can't think of a 17" laptop I'd rather have though. Everything by everyone else is big and bulky and plastic looking with the exception of the Razer Blade. If the 17" MBP does become extinct I hope the Razer Blade becomes refined (build quality-wise) enough to be a successor (one can wish).

g-unit1111

Titan
Who would pay the money for a 17" Macbook Pro? Especially when Apple refuses to use the best current hardware available. For that price you could buy a comparably equipped laptop from say Falcon, Sager, Origin, or Digital Storm and you'll have the best hardware you can get for the next 4 - 5 years?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]Who would pay the money for a 17" Macbook Pro? Especially when Apple refuses to use the best current hardware available. For that price you could buy a comparably equipped laptop from say Falcon, Sager, Origin, or Digital Storm and you'll have the best hardware you can get for the next 4 - 5 years?[/citation]
I'd rather have the MBP...I'd settle for the Falcon if I couldn't. The CPU and GPU are only part of the picture. ...and when you don't use your laptop for gaming the GPU isn't all that important.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
They could stick quad-cores into their 15" lineup maybe? *Hint hint..*
The gigantic price increase for bigger size and a quad-core doesn't fill any real purpose.

Pharmer John

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]They could stick quad-cores into their 15" lineup maybe? *Hint hint..*The gigantic price increase for bigger size and a quad-core doesn't fill any real purpose.[/citation]

The 15" already comes with a quad-core. The 15" has either a 2.2 ghz or 2.4 ghz quad-core i7 while the 17" is the same configuration as the higher-end 15", just with a bigger screen with a higher resolution (1920x1200 17" compared to 1440x900 15").

nycteris

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]They could stick quad-cores into their 15" lineup maybe? *Hint hint..*The gigantic price increase for bigger size and a quad-core doesn't fill any real purpose.[/citation]
The 17" MBP has the same hardware as the highest-end 15" MBP. The $300 premium that Apple charges is basically just for the 1920x1200 resolution.

halcyon

Splendid
I have the 2.3ghz i7 quad-core 15" Hi-Rez anti-glare (1680x1050). I love my MacBook Pro. I removed the optical drive and installed a 750GB WD Scorpio Black to supplement the 240GB OCZ Vertex 3. With 16GB of Ram this machine flies through anything I want and runs my VMs for work incredibly well. When people here talk about how worthless Apple products are I know differently. With the MacBook Pro I'm even able to keep it in an acrylic hard-case so it stays in unscratched clean condition. I expect it to last me a few years, it's not a bad supplement to my Mac Pro at all.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Halc, nobody thinks Apple makes worthless products. We think Apple makes products not worth their price.

Think about it this way, if you HAD to spend $2500 I'm not sure you could find a computer worse than the MBP.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Halc, nobody thinks Apple makes worthless products. We think Apple makes products not worth their price.

Think about it this way, if you HAD to spend $2500 I'm not sure you could find a computer worse than the MBP.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007

fudoka711

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]I have the 2.3ghz i7 quad-core 15" Hi-Rez anti-glare (1680x1050). I love my MacBook Pro. I removed the optical drive and installed a 750GB WD Scorpio Black to supplement the 240GB OCZ Vertex 3. With 16GB of Ram this machine flies through anything I want and runs my VMs for work incredibly well. When people here talk about how worthless Apple products are I know differently. With the MacBook Pro I'm even able to keep it in an acrylic hard-case so it stays in unscratched clean condition. I expect it to last me a few years, it's not a bad supplement to my Mac Pro at all.[/citation]

I agree with bardia. There's no doubting that the MBP is actually a great product. For those that like it, the Mac OS is good (but I just don't like it. I have tried and tried to like it since 2000, but to no avail). Music and video editing software on Mac's is the best, or at least almost for the average consumer. Their battery tech is totally unmatched. And finally the casing is so simplistic it makes it pretty pleasing to the eye.

HOWEVER.

I think most people still like windows more, despite its numerous problems. Also, for just about HALF the price, you can get the same product in a pc laptop. The discrepancy is even greater when comparing desktops. There just isn't that much justification to pay double. For $2.5k, I would definitely not buy a 17" mbp. I would buy a ~$1400-1500 gaming desktop that is upgradeable later and use the rest on a really, really nice mac book air or comparable new intel (or amd) ultrabook. I will say this. Mac book air's are pretty darn good. The price discrepancy between the mac book air and the same ultrabook is only $100-300.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Sorry about the quad post guys. Not a single one showed up until almost 30 minutes after I posted. I eventually gave up and low and behold they're all there.

wantiao2013

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Very interesting, thank you for sharing!
g.gif

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]fudoka711[/nom]I agree with bardia. There's no doubting that the MBP is actually a great product. For those that like it, the Mac OS is good (but I just don't like it. I have tried and tried to like it since 2000, but to no avail). Music and video editing software on Mac's is the best, or at least almost for the average consumer. Their battery tech is totally unmatched. And finally the casing is so simplistic it makes it pretty pleasing to the eye.HOWEVER.I think most people still like windows more, despite its numerous problems. Also, for just about HALF the price, you can get the same product in a pc laptop. The discrepancy is even greater when comparing desktops. There just isn't that much justification to pay double. For $2.5k, I would definitely not buy a 17" mbp. I would buy a ~$1400-1500 gaming desktop that is upgradeable later and use the rest on a really, really nice mac book air or comparable new intel (or amd) ultrabook. I will say this. Mac book air's are pretty darn good. The price discrepancy between the mac book air and the same ultrabook is only $100-300.[/citation]
My Mac Pro is definitely not worth what I spent on it...I could have had very very nice brand new super bike for what I've invested in my Mac Pro.

HOWEVER.

It's a wicked machine and with dual 27" Cinema Displays, dual SSDs, and 24GB of RAM it functions quite well, its been a good tool so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.