[SOLVED] Apple TV VLC Apps & Raid 5 Versus Raid 10

Aug 12, 2019
I use a ReadyNAS System which i recently changed from Raid 5 to Raid 10 to store various videos on my home network. The VLC app on my AppleTV has been able to read the files, and play them through the App until I changed to a RAID 10 configuration. The RAID 10 seems to be working very well when accessed through a computer, but the VLC app no longer sees or reads the drive. Does anyone know if this is a known issue with RAID 10 and VLC, or is there some other issue at hand? I'm considering converting back to RAID 5 but don't want to go through the effort if there is a setting that can can be changed, or other unknown issue. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot would be appreciated. I would also be open to using a different App if one exists that reads these drives better.

Solution
A remote app would not be able to determine the underlying RAID type. Only the controller on the ReadyNAS has any insight to the RAID type. Something else changed when you rebuilt that storage. My first guess would be a permission issue. Is this being shared via NFS, SMB, or Apple protocol ?

kanewolf

Titan
A remote app would not be able to determine the underlying RAID type. Only the controller on the ReadyNAS has any insight to the RAID type. Something else changed when you rebuilt that storage. My first guess would be a permission issue. Is this being shared via NFS, SMB, or Apple protocol ?

Solution