Apple Wins Patent on iPhone 4 Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
"The company had filed for a patent on the iPhone 4's design, which was awarded just recently, despite the smartphone launching a few years ago."
Zak.. a few is more than 2 ... how old is the iPhone 4 again? :p
.. just sayin'..
I should save my breath though.. it's clear you never read the many comments directed right at you in every article you put up...
Edit: My bad! A "few" in fact is any small number greater than 1. (I had believed it to mean any small number equal to or greater than 3)
*Humble Pie... yummmm*

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]"The company had filed for a patent on the iPhone 4's design, which was awarded just recently, despite the smartphone launching a few years ago."Zak.. a few is more than 2 ... how old is the iPhone 4 again? .. just sayin'..I should save my breath though.. it's clear you never read the many comments directed right at you in every article you put up...[/citation]

The iPhone 4 IS greater than 2 years old, it came out 2.5 years ago.

I'm also sick of seeing the bashing of Zak for writing about Apple, don't want to read about the company, don't click the link of an article that is about them. It's not hard, and some people DO care about the company.

lengcaifai

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
A company specializes in marketing iPatterns... there are still a lot of people buying iPatterns, however...

sorry for spelling mistakes is iPatent

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
So let me recap...Apple is winning patent lawsuits in the USA (5% of the word population)... but is getting bashed in the rest of the world more or less.
Yeah, sounds like a great concept for future stability.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]frostyfireball[/nom]The iPhone 4 IS greater than 2 years old, it came out 2.5 years ago. I'm also sick of seeing the bashing of Zak for writing about Apple, don't want to read about the company, don't click the link of an article that is about them. It's not hard, and some people DO care about the company.[/citation]
No no.. I am not among those that accuse him of being an Apple fan boy.. I see him post unbiasedly about all phone and tablet makers. I do get tired of his usual trivial and inaccurate (or lacking of enough fact and information) reporting.. In my opinion he is lazy and strives for quantity over quality in his work! And does not seem to care that many here do not like it! So, I was just poking some fun at him..
In the end though.. this was my bad.. I always thought "few" was 3 or more (and 2.5 is less than 3) and believed that 2 would be a couple only. But I was wrong. Apparently a few is any small number greater than 1 ! oopsy :)
And yes I know that there is a way to view an Apple-Free version of Tomshardware, but that isn't practical (I do not hate Apple, even if I usually prefer alternatives.. I am just annoyed with the flood of trivial reports). In order to avoid all the many MANY daily posts about all trivial Apple (and it's competitor brands) posts, I will have to accept missing out on the occasional significant news?? I wish there was a way that Toms could indicate the importance (by popular standards) of it's news postings on the main page.. for example, bold font would indicate significant news and regular font would mean that it is only worth reading to an avid fan..
As it stands now, I read most articles to make sure I don't miss something important, and end most news articles with a deep sigh.. usually thanks to Zak! (A lot of times, they use intentionally misleading headlines too!)

halcyon

Splendid
Though I am not currently an Apple customer I'm interested in their happenings...they are not a small tech company. I can discern for myself the importance of any such news. Tom's made a wise decision to have such a focus on Apple, bash it as you will you keep coming back for more. ...and THAT IS the goal despite what some may choose to believe.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]No no.. I am not among those that accuse him of being an Apple fan boy.. I see him post unbiasedly about all phone and tablet makers. I do get tired of his usual trivial and inaccurate (or lacking of enough fact and information) reporting.. In my opinion he is lazy and strives for quantity over quality in his work! And does not seem to care that many here do not like it! So, I was just poking some fun at him.. In the end though.. this was my bad.. I always thought "few" was 3 or more (and 2.5 is less than 3) and believed that 2 would be a couple only. But I was wrong. Apparently a few is any small number greater than 1 ! oopsy And yes I know that there is a way to view an Apple-Free version of Tomshardware, but that isn't practical (I do not hate Apple, even if I usually prefer alternatives.. I am just annoyed with the flood of trivial reports). In order to avoid all the many MANY daily posts about all trivial Apple (and it's competitor brands) posts, I will have to accept missing out on the occasional significant news?? I wish there was a way that Toms could indicate the importance (by popular standards) of it's news postings on the main page.. for example, bold font would indicate significant news and regular font would mean that it is only worth reading to an avid fan..As it stands now, I read most articles to make sure I don't miss something important, and end most news articles with a deep sigh.. usually thanks to Zak! (A lot of times, they use intentionally misleading headlines too!)[/citation]

Ah well glad I just misinterpreted your comment then! :) It's too easy to think someone is a hater these days with all the shots being fired from all directions...

Definitely agree, some sort of priority system would be a good addition. Via fonts, or colouring, or some sort of "Breaking" tag beside the headline wold be helpful. I too don't care much about Apple's most recent patent application, but I'm quite interested in sizable announcements about a product line (Credible rumour about imminent MBA design refresh, say, retina Air?), solid details about an A series processor, or something. Something with lots of substance, that might matter at the end of the day.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Honestly most readers here don't care about Apple, but we still have to read articles about it, because we know it's going to effect other areas of tech due to their frivolous lawsuits and patent trolling. Telling us to ignore Apple news if we don't like it is stupid, because it affects companies we do have interests in. They harm the entire industry and prevent innovation in the entire tech industry, so even those of us who aren't fans of the company look at these articles to see what they are up to and how they plan to stifle progress.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
If Apple never sued anyone, they would NOT get as much hate as they do now. Nor would they deserve the hate. Could you imagine how much more hate Nintendo would get if they sued everyone for making a gaming console or anything resembling a gamepad with digital and/or analog controls, force feedback, gyro-sensing controllers, motion gaming? Not to mention creating touch screen games portal gaming devices, having an online store within the consoles, virtual console...etc?

Nintendo doesn't patent troll like Apple does (they are kinda like the Anti-Apple), they take the copying in stride and strive to make themselves better by actually innovating, even though I believe they can win a majority of these lawsuits if they pursued them.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
USPO will degrade US economy to a point, when all inventions will come from the rest of the world.
At the same time they'll continue to patent extremely innovative stuff like "using button to record voice message" (no, I'm not joking, there is a patent for that) and claiming that US is oh so innovative.

Then USPO head will come out and explain us how much rest of the world envies US patent system. Oh wait, he just did a couple of weeks ago....

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]and watch the onslaught of lawsuits now for phones being black or white.[/citation]

Too bad you don't have the basic insight to click the source article and read which patents they got.

Its a pretty simple process:

1. Gather information relating to the topic
2. Analyse the information
3. Comment on it

P.S. There were no patents for black and white
And its the U.S. Patent Office fault for giving these patents not Apple for applying for them if you want to start to lay blame.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]You can tell the age and maturity levels of the posters when they comment about Zak. Rather pathetic...[/citation]

Agree completely. He's basically the resident Apple beat writer, since Apple is the largest US company and tech company in the world it would make sense there's lots of article regarding them.

But these children don't understand this.

Also, when they constantly view these Apple articles, make comments, thumbs up/down they are feeding into the metrics to suggest to Zak and Tom's Hardware they are doing the right job. Easier to get advertisement revenue when your article's get 10000 page views compared to 5...

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation]since Apple is the largest US company and tech company in the world [/citation]
based upon an overinflated metric.

This comment goes hand in hand with saying that the USA is the number 1 country in the world.

halcyon

Splendid
On a more fun note Element Case has just released their Atom Galaxy S3 case that's not too expensive (compared to some of their other iPhone parts). Me canna wait until mine arrives. Oh wait, is this a nice case that's not built for the iPhone? Oh no. It'd be funny if Apple found a way to patent the idea of a phone fitting into a stylish case (wanted to link this comment to the subject-matter somehow :) ) That didn't quite work? Oh well, you can't say I didn't try.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Apple has obviously bribed people in patent offices. Or locked them into their garden with blackmail. Samsung, HTC, and even Google would never stoop to this level, no matter how provoked by Apple evilness they are. Next Apple will receive patents on oxygen and water.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]Honestly most readers here don't care about Apple, but we still have to read articles about it, because we know it's going to effect other areas of tech due to their frivolous lawsuits and patent trolling. Telling us to ignore Apple news if we don't like it is stupid, because it affects companies we do have interests in. They harm the entire industry and prevent innovation in the entire tech industry, so even those of us who aren't fans of the company look at these articles to see what they are up to and how they plan to stifle progress.[/citation]

Most? That's a pretty broad brush you are using. A more accurate statement would be "Some of us could care less." You can't possibly know that it is "most" unless there has been some sort of poll of readers released by Toms. You also have to remember that all readers do not comment so basing your conclusion off of comments might bring you to an inaccurate conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS