Question Applications consistently crashing after some hardware upgrades ?

Aug 23, 2023
Hi all,

I just upgraded most of my PC except for my GPU.

This was a first time self upgrade for me, and I was sure everything went fine, until it didn't.

I have upgraded the:

Motherboard (to use the new CPU)

CPU (from Intel Core i7 to Intel Core i9) and new fan

RAM (DDR4 -> DDR5)

PSU (to meet the demands of the new parts).

I have also updated to windows 11 from 10 in hopes of it maybe being a registry issue due to my new motherboard.

I launched up my PC to find most of my games crashing after spending maybe about 5 - 10 minutes in them.

Some of the solutions I've tried so far:

- Resetting my BIOS to default settings

- Updating my BIOS

- Formatting all 3 of my drives

- Uninstalling my graphics drivers with Display driver uninstaller, and then redownloading the drivers

- I have checked the reliability monitor and only a couple game crashes actually show up. The 3 games I have reinstalled since formatting are Escape from Tarkov (doesn't crash as frequently), Squad (Unity, same as Tarkov, but crashes way more, usually with an error message relating to either shaders or shadows, so I turned my graphics settings down, but the crash still happens but with a different error now, and lastly, TF2, which seems to keep crashing from a dll named nvd3dum.dll.

- I have checked my wiring to all of my parts making sure everything runs smoothly.

- Occasionally my discord will crash 2 or 3 times, then be stable. The same happens with my browser (opera GX)

I've looked literally everywhere, but all the solutions have not done anything for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 23, 2023
Make & model of new PSU ?

SilverStone HELA 1200R Platinum 1200W​

The crashes I get from TF2 in the event viewer tell me that the faulty module is the nvd3dum.dll, and I am yet to find a fix for it. I am at the point that I think the issue might be my graphics card, I however cannot tell if it is, as I got a CPU without internal graphics, and don't have a spare graphics card lying around.

Last edited: