[SOLVED] Applying DOCP to my RAM on a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero is causing an endless shutdown cycle

KarmaChang

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
Hi everyone,
So recently I've had to replace the motherboard in my PC. When I apply the DOCP profile for my RAM in the BIOS (Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (16GBx4) 3600MHz CL14), the PC will enter an endless shutdown cycle until I clear the CMOS.

The funny thing is, the profile worked fine on BIOS firmware 3801 when I initially booted and it was only after I updated to 4006 when this started to happen, however DOCP worked fine on the previous motherboard under that same BIOS.

Swapping to a similar memory kit also did the same thing. I've also tried to manually apply the settings to the RAM in the BIOS as well getting the same results (again, this was fine with the previous motherboard)

If anyone can shed some light as to why I'm running into this or if there's something I need to do in the BIOS, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Thanks for getting back to me KarmaChang.:)

Your problem is the OC RAM you have chosen. The frequency and CL are beyond what your CPU can support and you are combining kits which is never a good idea.

Even kits with exactly the same specs can mismatch due to slight variations in Latency. Dimms are then binned into single kits after manufacture to ensure they match exactly.

Your Ryzen 9 5950X officially supports up to 3200Mhz so a frequency at 3600Mhz and 64GB would put quite a strain on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) which determines what frequency you will achieve. There is no guarantee with OC RAM that you will achieve the rated frequency.

Ryzen is picky with RAM, your Overclock has failed using D.O.C.P and that's...
HI KarmaChang (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

Not all RAM have a D.O.C.P profile for easy Overclocking.
It also depends if the frequency of your RAM is supported by your CPU.

List your CPU to determine what frequency the IMC can achieve.?

Also list the P/N or SKU of your RAM kit?

Sometimes you need to update the Bios and chipset to address recently released RAM kits.

Remember, it's the IMC on your chip that determines what frequency you will achieve and there is no guaranty with OC RAM that you can achieve the rated frequency.

KarmaChang

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
HI KarmaChang (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

Not all RAM have a D.O.C.P profile for easy Overclocking.
It also depends if the frequency of your RAM is supported by your CPU.

List your CPU to determine what frequency the IMC can achieve.?

Also list the P/N or SKU of your RAM kit?

Sometimes you need to update the Bios and chipset to address recently released RAM kits.

Remember, it's the IMC on your chip that determines what frequency you will achieve and there is no guaranty with OC RAM that you can achieve the rated frequency.

Thanks for responding, apologies for the late reply on my part. Thanks for the warm welcome.

My CPU is a Ryzen 9 5950X.

The part number of my kit is CMT32GX4M2Z3600C14 (x2)

I did update the BIOS to the latest version which is 4006.

Thanks again.

Thanks for getting back to me KarmaChang.:)

Your problem is the OC RAM you have chosen. The frequency and CL are beyond what your CPU can support and you are combining kits which is never a good idea.

Even kits with exactly the same specs can mismatch due to slight variations in Latency. Dimms are then binned into single kits after manufacture to ensure they match exactly.

Your Ryzen 9 5950X officially supports up to 3200Mhz so a frequency at 3600Mhz and 64GB would put quite a strain on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) which determines what frequency you will achieve. There is no guarantee with OC RAM that you will achieve the rated frequency.

Ryzen is picky with RAM, your Overclock has failed using D.O.C.P and that's why you have to clear CMOS and bring Bios back to default.

It is possible to get them to work however you would have to sacrifice performance by lowering frequency and adjusting your Timings and Voltage in Bios however this is not a proper solution and can be very frustrating due to instability.

Here is your QVL and best to choose your kit from.
https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboard...hair-viii-dark-hero-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory

Corsair: CMT32GX4M2Z3600C14 do not appear on the QVL so they are untested. When testing RAM it's best to just have a single Dimm in the slot meant for single channel mode.

My recommendation should your OC continue to fail is to return what you have and choose a single kit from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work.

Is there a reason you need 64GB?

Edit: There is a Corsair kit that are tested and listed on the QVL.
CMT64GX4M4C3200C16(Ver4.31)
They are highly suited for the 5950X and have Samsung B-Die chips.

Last edited:
Reactions: KarmaChang
Solution

KarmaChang

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
Hello again @MeanMachine41. Thanks for the response and the explanation. This was pretty insightful so I wasn't aware of the QVL list. I got a similar response from ASUS's support as well. What I've done now is replace the kit with CMT64GX4M4Z3600C16 which is on the QVL list and can run at 3600Mhz at CL16 fine which I'm still happy with. I may even try and tune the timings to CL14 at a later date.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeanMachine41
Thanks for getting back to me KarmaChang and glad you have your system sorted :D

You have a top end system there mate, now test for ultimate stability using ROG Realbench.
This is a real world stress tester and if you can pass this test you can be assured your system is stable and will cope with the most arduous of tasks. You also have access to the Realbench leader board to compare your performance index.

Last edited:
Reactions: KarmaChang

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Thanks for responding, apologies for the late reply on my part. Thanks for the warm welcome.

My CPU is a Ryzen 9 5950X.

The part number of my kit is CMT32GX4M2Z3600C14 (x2)

I did update the BIOS to the latest version which is 4006.

Thanks again.
I also have a a 5950x but w/Asus TUF x570 and some cheapie X2 Micron CMW 16GX4M 1Z63600C18 running at XMP 3800. Not a bad combo.