[SOLVED] APU feasibility for basic gaming

Feb 10, 2022
I'm planning on building a desktop gaming rig. With the insanity of GPU prices currently, am I better off buying a used mid level card? - Or, are any of the new AMD APU's able to buy me some time?

I did this a few years ago with an AMD a10 - ran off the APU for almost a year with decent performance. I mostly play Valorant and my son will likely use it for Fortnite.

Last edited:
Solution
I'd recommend reading a few reviews with game benchmarks, and see if you'd find the graphic quality and framerate acceptable for the games you want to play.

If what I've read is accurate, a 5700G - for instance - should give you a bit more than 40fps on medium 1080p for Fortnite. I haven't played either of those games you've mentioned on my current-generation mobile APU myself, but many recent games should at least be playable on medium, and have good framerate on 720p low. Any older games should do just fine: Its performance would have been top-of-the-range, in 2010.

Just make sure to use a dual channel memory setup if you plan to rely on any sort of integrated GPU for a while, and not just that in an APU.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I'd recommend reading a few reviews with game benchmarks, and see if you'd find the graphic quality and framerate acceptable for the games you want to play.

If what I've read is accurate, a 5700G - for instance - should give you a bit more than 40fps on medium 1080p for Fortnite. I haven't played either of those games you've mentioned on my current-generation mobile APU myself, but many recent games should at least be playable on medium, and have good framerate on 720p low. Any older games should do just fine: Its performance would have been top-of-the-range, in 2010.

Just make sure to use a dual channel memory setup if you plan to rely on any sort of integrated GPU for a while, and not just that in an APU.

Solution