Question Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo III - Custom Backplate Instead of Included Heat Sink?

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
HI all,

I recently installed the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo III on my MSI 1080 TI AERO card. All is running smoothly, but I was forced to install the card in my second PCIe slot due to the size of the heat sink on the back of this cooler. The fins are huge and there is an RGB block on my mobo that is in the way. I was hoping to just purchase a basic back plate and remove this heat sink, something like this :https://www.v1tech.com/shop/backplates/blank-gpu-backplate/ but am curious if it will still work with this cooler? Has anyone done this before? I have thermal pads installed underneath the heat sink, so i'm assuming i'd want to keep those if I swap for a basic backplate?

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
To be honest do you really need Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo III ontop of your gpu because your going to be looseing abit of performance putting it in 2nd slot?

All three of my GPU slots are x16. The reason I don't want it in my second slot is because I want the bottom two slots free for other things. One being a DeckLink card, another being another GPU someday. Also, the cooling isn't as good on the card with it's current placement, it's like 1" from the bottom of my case. Let me know if you have any thoughts regarding my actual question though. Thanks!