[SOLVED] Are My Temps Too High?

Dec 1, 2020
I recently built a new PC with a Ryzen 5 3600X cooled by an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO. My idle temps on the CPU are around 46C and I get full load temps (with Cinebench or video rendering) temps of 83C while the CPU clocks down to 4.08 GHz even with the front panel off (the radiator is an intake). Is something wrong here?

I've already tried reseating the cooler several times and I've noticed that the cooler isn't fully covered with thermal paste while the CPU is. Is that the problem?

Solution
Just a recap:
Arctic LF 2 240
Ryzen 3600X
Phanteks P400(non-A)
Now then...

1)You made sure the paste spread and covered the cpu IHS fully? The little in the middle application tends to not be too effective on Ryzen due to the multiple chiplets beneath.

2)Arctic LF 2 + P400.
Goes without saying that since the only option is to mount it up front, you're forced to mount the cooler right up against a rather hard airflow restriction.
The best way to maximize airflow here is to position the fans behind the radiator, pulling air inside the chassis. Just a reminder of which way air comes in and out:
I recently built a new PC with a Ryzen 5 3600X cooled by an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO. My idle temps on the CPU are around 46C and I get full load temps (with Cinebench or video rendering) temps of 83C while the CPU clocks down to 4.08 GHz even with the front panel off (the radiator is an intake). Is something wrong here?

I've already tried reseating the cooler several times and I've noticed that the cooler isn't fully covered with thermal paste while the CPU is. Is that the problem?
Maybe it's thermal paste? Try thermal grizzly kryonaut. I'm not sure what that's all about, but it sure does defeat the purpose of having a liquid cooler when a good air cooler could cool better than that!

Hmm
Can't doubt the temps then.

I used Mx-4 and the changed right back to what I was using for yrs which is Thermaltake tg-7.
If you have a Best Buy near you can try a tube for approx $8.00
The also carry the Corsair pastes also for alittle more.

What case do you have? And how many other fans do you have?
Fan Config ?

Dec 1, 2020
Hmm
Can't doubt the temps then.

I used Mx-4 and the changed right back to what I was using for yrs which is Thermaltake tg-7.
If you have a Best Buy near you can try a tube for approx $8.00
The also carry the Corsair pastes also for alittle more.

What case do you have? And how many other fans do you have?
Fan Config ?
I have a Phanteks P400 for my case and I'm using the two included fans as exhausts. One on the rear and one on top. The radiator fans are used as intake on the front.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is it? I know MX-4 won best thermal paste of 2019 I think so I'd guess it's better and I don't think it's a red herring. It does transfer heat faster but we all know it only ends with a 1-2-3C difference.
It's a part of the whole picture. The one with higher W/mK isn't always better.
I mean, TG Kryonaut doesn't exactly wipe the floor with those 2 pastes either.

Aww, who am I kidding? Some manufacturers don't even bring it up.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
wait what?!? I thought the grizzlies was best I listen to bad propaganda?
It doesn't really matter all that much... the purpose of paste is a bridge, and any direct cooling benefits are so minor.
Thermal Grizzly is overhyped to the moon and it doesn't 'stomp' the likes of MX-4... plus, it has some QC issues: there's fakes out in the market... WTH.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
OK good but it's not so much as the tubes are down as the Pump isn't the highest point in the system to keep the air bubble in the top of the tank.

Going back to the beginning he stated
"I've already tried reseating the cooler several times and I've noticed that the cooler isn't fully covered with thermal paste while the CPU is."

Maybe too convex on the coldplate?????

Reactions: Nemesia