Question Are new microcode updates for bios required for 12th gen cpus?

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
I am about to get an intel 12400f and a new Gigabyte b760 motherboard (B760m Ds3H).The vendor suggested updating the bios to the latest available version just to be on the "Safer side".

AFAIK the latest microcode updates issued by intel are primarily intended for 13th and 14th gen cpus -so do i need to get these updates for my bios even if i am running a 12th gen cpu? Like 13th gen and 14th gen cpus,are 12th gen cpus also susceptible to the risk of degrading or going bad if the latest bios is not installed?

On gigabyte's website,the latest bios available is F18d,which includes the 0X129 update issued by intel-does anyone know whether this particular bios version is stable or not,and whether installing it could cause any potential issues in the long run? I am a bit wary of this particular update (0x129)as i remember reading somewhere that this might be a beta bios which has reportedly been causing random restarts/hangs etc on certain mobos:

So please advice what to do about this,thanks.

running the latest available BIOS is always a good idea due to them containing any possible fixes, updated component compatibility, updated options available, etc...

if a BIOS is reported and proven as "unstable" by enough users then it will usually be marked as such, or at least as beta, on the download page(s).

Lutfij

Titan
Just an FYI, Intel knew of the issue that's been plaguing their processors and didn't mention it until Gamers Nexus decided to dig into the matter after people were reporting the same anomaly across different regions. If I were you, I'd cover my bases and update the BIOS to the latest version, that way you don't have any pitfalls when you do need to perform an RMA for your platform.

In all honesty, I'd have avoided Intel altogether since their recent stint of how they handled problems and even how their designing their processors is absurd.

With that being said, flash the BIOS to the latest version and when you've verified the BIOS was successfully flashed, clear the CMOS and then proceed to install your OS. Assuming this is the motherboard you speak of;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B760M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
yes, F18d is a beta version, a final release would be devoid of an alphabet at the end of the number.

Reactions: Dadrian Daedalus

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
Thanks for your valued inputs. Yes,that's indeed the motherboard i had alluded to earlier.If i get this Beta bios,can it cause any issues such as random restarts/crashes etc on my system (as reported by some folks in the thread that i had shared earlier)?

And will i have to update to the final release once it becomes available? Or can i continue to use this version if it works fine without issues?

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
If my bios version is F3(say) and the latest available version is F8,then can i install F8 directly without installing all the intermediate releases that came after F3,but prior to F8?

Or do i need to play it safe and install all bios versions in sequence before installing the latest bios update?

Last edited:
If my bios version is F3(say) and the latest available version is F8,then can i install F8 directly without installing all the intermediate releases that came after F3,but prior to F8?

Or do i need to play it safe and install all bios versions in sequence before installing the latest update?
Unless it is stated that you need to install one update before another (I have seen this albeit VERY rarely and not in a very, very long time) simply install the latest. Firmware updates have gotten much safer in the past few years but it's still not advisable to do it more than required. As for the microcode update, Intel and vendors seem to be throwing it at everything, including unaffected products. I feel this is their "better safe than sorry" approach. My mobile 13900HX powered G15 (unaffected) got the updated microcode via Dell, I have seen no issues and performance actually increased noticeably and consistently in Cinebench R23 single core.

Reactions: Dadrian Daedalus