Question Are there any compatibility considerations for older m/boards and new NVMe SSDs ?

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Hi,

Just as it says really. For example, if I have an older msi 170 or 270 motherboard and then get a gen 4 NVMe SSD, are there any issues since those boards might pre-date the latest gen of NVMe?

Thanks as always
Phi.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,

Just as it says really. For example, if I have an older msi 170 or 270 motherboard and then get a gen 4 nVME drive, are there any issues since those boards might predate the latest gen of nvme?

Thanks as always
Phi.
z270, probably not. It should "work".
z170, maybe.

Of course, knowing the specific board will help here.

And I do not believe either of those will support Gen 4.0 NVMe performance.

ThundyUK

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Cheers.

The board I'm working with atm is an MSI Z170 Gaming M5.

It's more a case of "if I can't get hold of an older gen..." issue for a bit of a found PC build or two, or three.

I'm just making some PCs for the extended family kids with bits I've got laying around, and adding in new bits where I need to as a bit of a future PC gaming master race effort :)

USAFRet

Titan
Cheers.

The board I'm working with atm is an MSI Z170 Gaming M5.

It's more a case of "if I can't get hold of an older gen..." issue for a bit of a found PC build or two, or three.

I'm just making some PCs for the extended family kids with bits I've got laying around, and adding in new bits where I need to as a bit of a future PC gaming master race effort :)
As always, this is when you ask the manufacturer:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/z170a-gaming-m5/Specification

"Supports PCIe 3.0 x4"

Something like a Samsung 970 EVO or EVO/Plus.

Do NOT worry about PCIe 4.0 drives.