[SOLVED] Are these parts strong enough for video editing? I'm bad with GPUs.

HerbertSherbet

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
Hello. I'm building a machine that needs be powerful enough to handle projects I want to work on. I may upgrade it in the future but I want it to be effective today.
I'm worried about video editing, running code, and getting 60fps in modern games like Modern Warfare (2019), Rainbow Six: Siege, and Squad with whatever graphic options are a step below High.

I'm going to be buying this stuff within three weeks. Even if that date comes and goes I'd be happy for any input. My budget is $1,200 but I'm willing to expand that if I need a stronger GPU. I already own all the accessories I need. I am a USA buyer if that's relevant. I will be doing no SLI and no overclocking. I will be running everything at 1920x1080.

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700 Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.0 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W BX80684I79700 Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-9th-gen-core-i7-9700/p/N82E16819118024
Note that this model of the i7-9700 is not overclockable and has integrated graphics

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145098
I'm not buying the WIFI edition but that probably doesn't matter.

GPU: SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5700 DirectX 12 100417P8GL 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 x16 ATX Video Card
https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-100417p8gl/p/N82E16814202350
I am having a hard time figuring out if this card will meet my needs.

PSU: Will be at minimum 30% higher than the final wattage rating of my parts with at least an 80% rating from a brand I can trust.

Memory: 2 8GB sticks of RAM to be ran as Dual Channel. I plan to upgrade to 2 more of the same 8GB sticks when (or if) I need it.

Storage: 1TB of SSD storage as a boot drive with separate HDD storage added after the system is built.

Software: I will be running Windows 10. Linux may be used but this will be primarily a Windows 10 machine without a doubt.

I'm seriously considering buying an aftermarket CPU cooler for good measure, even though the stock cooler could work. I plan to use this machine for 5 years minimum. I understand that videogaming will become more demanding in that time but I'm willing to mod my games to get 60fps out of them and it would mean the world to me if I could stay at a 1080p resolution too.

I've narrowed down my CPU and motherboard but I am just so lost when it comes to GPUs. Now I'm hearing that there could be incompatibilities between the 3? Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Solution
Some thoughts:
1. Buy a i7-9700K instead. For $10 more, you get a higher stock clock and turbo. Plus with the Z390 motherboard you can easily overclock using the intel performance maximizer app if you want.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html
The K suffix processors do not come with a cooler.
What is the make/model of your case?
If it is a good one with 160mm available, the best cooler will be perhaps a noctua NH-D15s. About $80.
If nothing else, it will be much quieter than any stock cooler you might get.

2. On ram, consider carefully how much you will ever need up front.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs...
You will be fine with that GPU. you'll mostly hover / hang around 60FPS on most titles at 1080p ultra settings. Video editing would not be an issue for that card as well, hell even a 1650 will handle editing 4k. As for incompatibilities, there shouldn't be any, that GPU should work on any motherboard and CPU with Windows or Linux.

Only thing to mention about a video editing rig is to make sure you have enough RAM. 16GB should hold you up nicely, but if the files get too big you may need 32GB. I have 32 and I'v'e never gone above 24GB thus far.

Some thoughts:
1. Buy a i7-9700K instead. For $10 more, you get a higher stock clock and turbo. Plus with the Z390 motherboard you can easily overclock using the intel performance maximizer app if you want.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html
The K suffix processors do not come with a cooler.
What is the make/model of your case?
If it is a good one with 160mm available, the best cooler will be perhaps a noctua NH-D15s. About $80.
If nothing else, it will be much quieter than any stock cooler you might get.

2. On ram, consider carefully how much you will ever need up front.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
If you later buy more ram, you may find it incompatible or you may have to lower speeds to make it work.
My recommendation is to buy a 2 x 16gb kit up front.
Intel is dual channel so there is no value in a 4 stick kit.

3. On the psu, I like the seasonic focus line.
650w should be plenty, even for a RTX2080ti, but a 750w unit is ok also.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

4. On a budget, the intel 660P 1tb ssd is priced nicely.
But it is not as fast as the samsung 970 EVO which might be better for a top build.
Regardless, plan on some sort of EXTERNAL backup for whatever data you value.

5. On graphics cards, you pretty much get what you pay for at any price point.
RX5700 should be reasonable.
Some editing apps can use the CUDA capabilities of nvidia cards; check your app for that.
Also, If you are in doubt about how strong you need your graphics card to be, consider buying a EVGA unit.
They have a free 90 day trade in update if you later decide you need stronger.
Read the fine print on their web site.

Solution

HerbertSherbet

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
So if I get a i7-9700k instead of a i7-9700 and do no overclocking, ever, it will still be a slightly better card? I'm getting a non-stock cooler to ensure lower temperatures and quieter sound so I see how that's a smart move.

I actually don't have a case in mind yet. I was saving that until I decided on the parts. I'm aiming for a mid-tower case and it looks like everything is going to fit.

So DIMMs of the same model and manufacturer may not match if the different production runs use different parts? I hadn't considered that. That upgrade I'm considering might come years from now so this is a good point.

I can run my RAM as double Dual Channel, right? 2 sticks of RAM today and 2 sticks of RAM in the future will both work as separate 128-bit buses if they match, right? This won't bump everything back into single channel mode?

Exactly.
i7-9700 has a base clock of 3.0 with a turbo of 4.7
I7-9700K has a base of 3.6 and a turbo of 4.9

The motherboard you picked is a ATX motherboard.
You can tell that it has 7 expansion slots.
It will need a ATX case.

My suggestion is to first find a ATX case that you love the looks.
It will be with you for a very long time.
For functionality, I like a case with at least two front140mm intake fans.
That is sufficient for a good air cooler and a hot graphics card.
That intake should have a washable filter to keep your parts clean.

If your ram upgrade is a ways in the future, cross that bridge when you come to it.
A 2 x 8gb ram kit is sufficient for gaming.
Some apps like photoshop can make use of extra ram so check out the suggested ram for the apps you care about.
If/when you want more ram, a second matching kit is, I guess, 90% likely to work.
You could try it, but what is your plan "B" if it does not play nice with the old?

Or..., what you might do is to buy a 2 x 16gb kit similar to the original kit.
You are guaranteed 32gb, and possibly 48gb if the original kit plays nice.
Otherwise, sell the old.

If you have two sticks or 4, the best you can do is dual channel operation.
Of course that presumes you installed the ram in each channel.
No big deal, just read your motherboard manual.

As a hint. take the time to read your motherboard and case manuals cover to cover while waiting for parts to arrive.
Hint#2... Buy yourself a #2 magnetic tip screwdriver for assembly.

HerbertSherbet

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
The RAM is more about making sure that I will be set for video editing and other resource heavy projects. It's tempting to pay extra for 32 GB and have the option to upgrade to 64 GB later, but I have no idea what I would even use 64 GB for! I suppose I'll start by researching double Dual Channel and any differences between having 16, 32, and 64GB of RAM.

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

l0nglive

Reputable
Jul 25, 2017
How about AMD system? They are cheaper and seem goods on tasks requiring heavy processing. if you switch to Ryzen 7 3700X or 3700 you can net more processing power

HerbertSherbet

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
I'm really just not going to budge on my CPU and motherboard at this point because I think that they can do everything I'll need from them. Strong single core/thread performance for unoptimized applications being the biggest reason. I typed up a list but it was just clutter.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what 2x32GB to buy. There are a lot of options! I'm worried about the best clock speed I can get, the most reliable clock speed for something that might be used for 5 years, and the right potential lower clock speed if I install a second 2x32GB of identical RAM in the future. I keep hitting walls trying to understand this stuff.

Do not worry too much about clock speed with intel.

Here is a study which shows very little difference in actual app performance between 2133 and 3000 DDR4 speeds.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1478-page1.html

At equal speeds, look for lower cas numbers.
Your motherboard will support speeds up to 4133

I think speeds past 3600 are likely not worth it.
Divide the speed by the cas number, and you will find a very similar performance metric.