Question Are these temperatures normal while idle and during stress test for my new CPU and GPU? Should I tweak any settings for optimal efficiency?

tigershrimp

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
Hello,
Recently I've built a new computer sporting R7 8700F (no judgment please, I know everyone mocks this CPU, but I like that its fairly new and is known for low idle power draw) and RTX 4060 (I don't use fancypants tech like ray tracing and play on 1080P monitor). I wanted to ask whether my temperatures are normal. The GPU was slightly OCed and slightly undervolted (capping out at 0.975V, 2850MHz clock and 9150 MHz memory), while the CPU has been kept stock only slightly undervolted with AMD Ryzen Master curve optimizer (CO All Core Value -30, nothing else).

The CPU cooler is Dark Rock Slim from Be Quiet! (picked it, because its quiet and doesn't take much space and should certainly be sufficient for this CPU with some headroom).

• The temperatures for idle 8700F CPU just sitting there with this browser tab open are min 36-42C hotspot (cooler fan is spinning slowly)
  • The temperatures for 8700F CPU during ~5 minutes stress test on all cores are 83.6 C average, 88 C peak hotspot (cooler is spinning faster)
HW info measurement at peak load:
  • The temperatures for idle RTX 4060 GPU in same conditions are min 53-63 hotspot (fan is standing still at these temperatures)
  • The temperatures of RTX 4060 GPU at full load for ~5 minutes are 67.4 C average, 82 C peak hotspot. 51% fan speed.

Are these temperatures and settings normal or should I tweak them in some manner? I do not need the top performance, but I want to maintain existing performance with as much power efficiency as possible.

Hello,
Recently I've built a new computer sporting R7 8700F (no judgment please, I know everyone mocks this CPU, but I like that its fairly new and is known for low idle power draw) and RTX 4060 (I don't use fancypants tech like ray tracing and play on 1080P monitor). I wanted to ask whether my temperatures are normal. The GPU was slightly OCed and slightly undervolted (capping out at 0.975V, 2850MHz clock and 9150 MHz memory), while the CPU has been kept stock only slightly undervolted with AMD Ryzen Master curve optimizer (CO All Core Value -30, nothing else).

The CPU cooler is Dark Rock Slim from Be Quiet! (picked it, because its quiet and doesn't take much space and should certainly be sufficient for this CPU with some headroom).

• The temperatures for idle 8700F CPU just sitting there with this browser tab open are min 36-42C hotspot (cooler fan is spinning slowly)
  • The temperatures for 8700F CPU during ~5 minutes stress test on all cores are 83.6 C average, 88 C peak hotspot (cooler is spinning faster)
  • The temperatures for idle RTX 4060 GPU in same conditions are min 53-63 hotspot (fan is standing still at these temperatures)
  • The temperatures of RTX 4060 GPU at full load for ~5 minutes are 67.4 C average, 82 C peak hotspot. 51% fan speed.

Are these temperatures and settings normal or should I tweak them in some manner? I do not need the top performance, but I want to maintain existing performance with as much power efficiency as possible.
Hey there,

Your temps are absolutely fine. Nothing to worry about.

In terms of undervolting either CPU or GPU, there's not much to gain in terms of efficiency. You could set the CPU to Eco mode, and see if that floats your boat, so to speak. Both Ryzen 8xxx series and RTX4xxx are pretty power efficient already.

tigershrimp

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
Hey there,

Your temps are absolutely fine. Nothing to worry about.

In terms of undervolting either CPU or GPU, there's not much to gain in terms of efficiency. You could set the CPU to Eco mode, and see if that floats your boat, so to speak. Both Ryzen 8xxx series and RTX4xxx are pretty power efficient already.
I've ran a few other tests and there's this one recommended on TomsHardware called RealBench 2.56, having it run for like 30 min made my CPU hit a scorching 96.4 C and it hovered around 95-96 C before I ended the test. Should I be concerned? Tomshardware guide said it should top out at 80 C during it. Most I've got in other tests, Cinebench, 3D Mark etc was 90 C on full multicore load even after using computer all day. When it comes to gaming, my CPU usually hovers at around 65 C and GPU depending on whether Vsync is on or off is either 59 or 69 C, though I've seen a hot spot hit 83 C, though I was running at like 280 FPS with maximum graphics in world of tanks at that time, even though I only have 144 Hz monitor.

Would custom fan profiles help or should I stick with defaults? I made a couple custom fan profiles, let me know if they're okay or should I stick with defaults: