Sep 29, 2021
My system is Acer e5-575-59fd which I'm trying to upgrade and it supports wd green(m.2 sata 2280). I want to know will my machine support samsung evo 860 also if it supports wd green as the Acer customer support says they can't provide any specific info which one will work but a m.2 sata 6gb/s upto 256gb will.
I read samsung evo 860 is much more better than wd green and I'm wanting to have it instead of wd green based on performance.

I use my system for web programming and backend development with multiple instances of intellij, tomcat servers, android studio, multiple browser with multiple tabs, postman. With this I saw the cpu is used around 50% but disk is 99-100%(only when all these are running) and ram 85%+ which is why I'm thinking of upgrading both hdd to ssd and ram from 8gb to 16gb.
Here are the links to these SSDs. If you have any more suggestions I'll be happy to hear.
WD Green:
Western Digital WD Green m.2 SSD, 545MB/s R, 3 Y Warranty, 240GB (WDS240G2G0B) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B078WYS5K6...t_i_5E16WHK86R4SB8TM772X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Samsung evo 869:
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SATA M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-N6E250) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07864V6CK...t_i_CPSZ9HG9PG75M1WZ5747?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you. :)

Solution
Samsung's 860 EVO is excellent. however, I'd try hard to get the 500 GB variant, as sub-500 GB just does not go very far if you are installing more than ...well, 1 game any more...
Sep 29, 2021
I get it that the interface is same so it would connect but will it work for sure? Can there be any reason for it not to work maybe because of different implementation, if any?
I probably asked the question wrong that will they support the same port, but it should be will both of them actually work knowing that they have same interface?
I don't know why but whoever I asked they said not to risk buying evo 860 and go for wd green (as they can't be replaced). But if evo 860 will work I want to go for it.

Sep 29, 2021
Samsung's 860 EVO is excellent. however, I'd try hard to get the 500 GB variant, as sub-500 GB just does not go very far if you are installing more than ...well, 1 game any more...
The reason I'm sticking with 256 GB is because the Acer customer support first told me that my machine can support upto 512GB and later said "Sorry, but it can only support 256GB". So I didn't wanted to take risk and there's no specification manual available for this specific machine that I can follow to confirm. Also I'm buying an SSD for first time so I'm afraid of taking risk as it can't be replaced/returned later. But If I can get information correctly what's the max supported capacity, I'll go for 500GB

Sep 29, 2021
Agreed, the E5-575's are apparently NVME compatible as well.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJFeq_QvybU
It's a 2017 manufactured model, and the customer support clearly confirmed me that my machine doesn't support NVMe that too with limitation upto 256 or 512 GB (Which they were confused themselves).
Also just to add there are many (many many) models under E5-575 like mine is E5-575-59FD and the one in the video is E5-575-50RM, Can't there be a possibility that newer ones support NVMe and older ones don't?

And TBH I went through this video(and many others) too before posting the question.
I've attached screenshot in other replies, don't want to make the forum ugly by lot of images, can you please have a look.
And thank you for taking efforts in helping.

Last edited:
It's a 2017 manufactured model, and the customer support clearly confirmed me that my machine doesn't support NVMe that too with limitation upto 256 or 512 GB (Which they were confused themselves).
Customer support typically reads from a script or other sort of "here's a thing you just tell the customer so they'll go away." It's likely they're only saying 256 or 512GB is compatible is because that's what the computer came with out of the factory.

How big a drive is hasn't been a problem in over 20 years. And even then, compatibility based on storage drive capacity is problem with the OS, not the actual hardware.

Also just to add there are many (many many) models under E5-575 like mine is E5-575-59FD and the one in the video is E5-575-50RM, Can't there be a possibility that newer ones support NVMe and older ones don't?

And TBH I went through this video(and many others) too before posting the question.
I've attached screenshot in other replies, don't want to make the forum ugly by lot of images, can you please have a look.
And thank you for taking efforts in helping.
Just an option.
Replace the hdd with a 2.5 ssd big bump in perf.
Then you don't have to fuss with size limits on the m.2 if there is such a thing.