Question ARGB fan LEDs are flickering?

Apr 22, 2023
I bought a used NZXT F140 RGB case fan from Amazon last week. After installing it, I noticed that the RGB pattern on the fan stuttered and flickered. I did some research online, but I could not find anything that explained why there would be a flicker. Here are some important things to note:
  1. The fan is not connected to an NZXT RGB controller. It is directly connected to an ARGB header on my motherboard, which is an MSI Pro B760-P Wifi DDR4.
  2. I am using MSI's Mystic Light to change the RGB pattern. I can change the pattern through this software, but the flicker persists regardless of the pattern.
  3. I tried using NZXT CAM, but it did not detect my fan, so I could not use it to control the fan's RGB. This could be because I'm not using an NZXT RGB controller.
  4. The flicker was still there after I restarted my computer.
Any ideas on why this is happening? Do I need an NZXT RGB controller or NZXT motherboard? Could it be that my fan is just faulty (I bought it used, after all)? I've attached a video of the stuttering.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023
Have you tried any other RGB software with it? I've been looking around to see if it requires the NZXT controller or not, but haven't gotten a definitive answer.
I just tried out three other RGB softwares: OpenRGB, Corsair iCUE, and Asus Aura. Unfortunately, none were compatible with the fan. I assume for the Corsair and Asus applications, I would have needed to use their hardware for it to pick up a device.

Before buying the fans it didn't even cross my mind that I possibly needed an RGB controller. I must have assumed that ARGB fans from different companies used the same protocols to control the RGB. I guess not. It seems like there isn't much cross-compatibility between ARGB fans of one company and the hardware it connects to of a different company.

Last edited: