ARM Releases "World's Most Efficient Processor"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]never thought i'd see a 90nm cpu be considered the most energy efficient in 22/28nm era[/citation]

true but considering it uses a 1/3 of the power of a 8bit chip is sweet.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Home appliances? I dread the days when our microwaves, toasters and coffee makers have lan ports or wifi cards and operating systems.

[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]never thought i'd see a 90nm cpu be considered the most energy efficient in 22/28nm era[/citation]
makes you wonder what a 22nm chip like this will be like. Maybe it will be able to run on less than 0.1w of power.

[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]Home appliances? I dread the days when our microwaves, toasters and coffee makers have lan ports or wifi cards and operating systems.[/citation]

Well, by strict definition, everything with a chip has an OS... And well... Samsung already has several appliances with WiFi :p

Cheers!

dudzcom

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]makes you wonder what a 22nm chip like this will be like. Maybe it will be able to run on less than 0.1w of power.[/citation]

I'd bet $10 your microwave is running unix right now.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Efficiency comes down to how much electricity is turned into usable energy. Just because something uses nearly 0 energy won't necessarily make it efficient.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]Home appliances? I dread the days when our microwaves, toasters and coffee makers have lan ports or wifi cards and operating systems.[/citation]

I have to disagree. It all depends on the appliance. For example, notifications from items like shared washing machines and laundry dryers would kick a** in an apartment setting especially. *Bing* Your dryer is done... *Bing* The dryer is now free *Bing* The rinse cycle has started... etc etc etc.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

I love when people make mistakes while angrily pointing out others' mistakes. I think you meant "joules".

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
"consumes only one third of 8-bit and 16-bit processors that are used in the application field targeted by the processor"

I think something's missing ... consumers only one third the power of 8-bit ...

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]qefx[/nom]"consumes only one third of 8-bit and 16-bit processors that are used in the application field targeted by the processor"I think something's missing ... consumers only one third the power of 8-bit ...[/citation]

consumes*

1) We need an edit option
2) I need to turn off auto-correct

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]makes you wonder what a 22nm chip like this will be like. Maybe it will be able to run on less than 0.1w of power.[/citation]

It takes nine microwatts per megahertz, I think it would be under your 0.1W figure most of the time.

As for 22nm, maybe with a die this small they'd have problems with power gating and whatnot to stop leakage from a smaller process, just a guess. Otherwise I can't think why something they want to draw the least possible power would be on such an old process, even 65nm would have higher yields and still be very attainable.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]cumi2k4[/nom]So how does this translate to smartphone usage? Don't tell me that i still have to charge it everyday...[/citation]

Even a dumbphone (err, featurephone) would have a more powerful processor than this, its not made for smartphones and I doubt it could run a modern OS, this is for appliances that just need to send and receive simple information like power draw of other appliances.

soky602

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]deanjo[/nom]I have to disagree. It all depends on the appliance. For example, notifications from items like shared washing machines and laundry dryers would kick a** in an apartment setting especially. *Bing* Your dryer is done... *Bing* The dryer is now free *Bing* The rinse cycle has started... etc etc etc.[/citation]
I sure hope they put a "Mute" button

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dudzcom[/nom]Since when is Amps a measure of energy? Energy is measured in JULES. If you're gonna give amps, at least give voltage too.[/citation]
Given that most people don't have even the slightest clue what a "joule" is, the use of amps in this case is acceptable as it doesn't send people off to google to research wtf a "joule" is, yet still gets the point across.

juxtaposer

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
[citation][nom]qefx[/nom]"consumes only one third of 8-bit and 16-bit processors that are used in the application field targeted by the processor"I think something's missing ... consumers only one third the power of 8-bit ...[/citation]
Good catch... or maybe it's a zombie. ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS