Asking advices on future-proof PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2018
Hello! I'd like to assemble a new PC. I'd like to pay more now, rather than every year a little, preferably I don't want to modify it in the next 7-10 years. I use my machine for mostly gaming, photoshop, programing, using virtual machines sometimes. (My present machine is 10 years old, so I can't really game right now.) I don't have high standards, but I need it to run games for many years. I mostly play in 1080p, 25-30 FPS is totally acceptable in the future.

Approximate Purchase Date: 2019 Jan-Feb

Budget Range: 1400-1500$ (little more for much better performance is acceptable)

Parts needed: Motherboard, CPU (aftermarket air cooler), GPU, PSU, RAM, Case, M.2 SSD.

I made some hard sketches with Intel i5 8-9600K and RTX2070, but I'm open to any suggestions including AMD cards and Ryzen too.

I made some fix points to make it easier/harder for you:
1: I don't need RGB anywhere.
2: Need a silent case like Fractal Define R6 or Cooler Master Silencio with good cable management. Windowed sides are excluded, I don't want to see the parts or lights, many times it operates at night too.
3: Don't need HDD, I already have many.
4: Motherboard has to got at least 6 SATA connectors (for my HDDs) and an M.2 obviosly.
5: For future proofing OC is a welcome addition.
6: 512 GB SSD is more than enough only for the system, main programs and a game. Perhaps 256 is enough too. Faster the better.
7: If it's possible 32 GB RAM would be better. (Again, future-proofing)

Thanks for any advices or configs, cheers!

USAFRet

Titan
While you can build a good system today, "I don't want to modify it in the next 7-10 years" is completely unrealistic.

For instance, you're looking at 32GB RAM.
10 years ago (2008), 4GB DDR3 was cutting edge. Where will we be in 2028?

"future-proof" is a myth.

Dec 24, 2018
"For instance, you're looking at 32GB RAM.
10 years ago (2008), 4GB DDR3 was cutting edge. Where will we be in 2028?"

Exactly, that's why I bought 4 GB back then, because everybody said 2 is more than enough.

USAFRet

Titan

Right, but that 4GB is now subpar, and has been subpar for more than a couple of years.
Building a new system in 2012, I put in 16GB. A short 4 years after that 2008 timeframe.

That 4GB wasn't 'future proof' then, anymore than 32GB is today.

I'm just saying, don't focus on "future proof" because that does not exist.
Build a good system today. When/if it no longer meets your needs, upgrade it. You can't build a PC for the ages.

RAM is easy to upgrade if you start with 2 sticks and your mobo has 4 slots.

Unless you stop gaming in 4 years, you'll have to do a GPU upgrade before 7 years. It's simply not cost effective to buy a GPU that's 2x what you need at present.

Similarly, I think getting an SSD big enough to last 7 years is going to be a challenge if you want a super fast one. Same thing applies, buying a fast 2TB SSD now is very expensive. When I bought my first SSD in 2010 120GB cost $180.

Not a stretch to think a CPU + mobo can last 7 years if you start at the top end now. My i5-3570K is 6.5 years old right now, and will be 7.5 when I replace it.

PSU can easily last 7 years.

Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, I built an intel E5200, HD4830 512MB and 4 GB ram. Now it's time to upgrade, because my FPS dropped under 20 on basic games, and can't play newer games. I don't need to have 150 FPS 4K ultra in 5 years. All I ask is 1080p and a 30 fps on medium/low. I need advices because there are too many options, so maybe someone here who keeps himself up to date can give me some advice. Maybe you're right tennis2, and waiting for CES is a good idea.

SSD is not a problem. I don't think OS-es will grow 100-200 GBs in 10 years. I still use Win7 and it's on a 128 GB SSD with the programs and it's totally enough, I even have 50GBs of free space.

I assembled this machine mentally:
i5 9600K with CM Hyper 212X, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB CL16 3200MHz, GIGABYTE GV-N2070GAMING OC-8GC, CORSAIR 240GB Force MP510 M.2,CORSAIR TX Series Modular TX750M, COOLERMASTER Silencio 550.
I never had AMD, but I read that the Ryzen CPUs are not bad, even better at things that require multi threading.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Better CPU cooler. The 212 line is...mediocre.

2. SSD. Your selected 240GB Corsair is $179 at Amazon. A 500GB Samsung 970 EVO is $130. $50 less for twice the size.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J

3. Ryzen CPU is no slouch. I'm in the process of building one for my grandkids right now.

Well...

Realistically speaking here now.

You can actually build a machine that will last awhile, the base that is, the MB, CPU, PSU and RAM. 5 years is reasonable, 7 is starting to push it and 10 years is not realistic.

The Graphics card, well that's not going to happen and THAT would need to be upgraded due to performance or changed out due to failure etc.

All you can do now is build a higher end machine and swap out the GPU when needed, you might be able to stretch it to 7 years if you build a higher end machine NOW. But the GPU would still need to be replaced no matter what.

The higher end GPU's cost MONEY, like $800 and up these days with the RTX 2080Ti's well over $1,000 as are the good GTX 1080Ti's if you can find one new.

All depends on what you want to do, if you buy a mid range GPU you will have to replace it sooner than if you got a high end GPU.

25 to 35 FPS isn't what I would call playable frame rates, being realistic here.

Might want to rethink that budget and what you really expect out of the machine.

Here is something to look at, slightly over your budget, but everything is higher end so it will last, except the GPU, that's mid range.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($399.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 Quad Lumi 49 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($171.94 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card ($499.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($86.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $1679.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-24 21:17 EST-0500

Dec 24, 2018
I picked the Corsair SSD because it's much faster. I don't know if there is a difference on that speed… Maybe even faster boot or install, or anything. It was just faster , so I thought it's better. I play with 1 game always, so only 1 game needs space. I have plenty of other data storage solutions. But if the speed difference is not that big, maybe the Samsung is really better for cheaper.

I always played games on low fps, I'm a single player, so it doesn't matter. I call it playable. :) This rig you put together is good, the only problem it lights. RGB in cooler and mobo, and a windowed side. I always think the RGB parts are more expensive because RGB. But maybe I make a PC with higher cpu. What about 1st gen threadripper?

USAFRet

Titan

What review is telling you the Corsair MP510 is faster than the Samsung 970 EVO?
It isn't.

You can turn the lights off on the MB

MOST of the higher end MB's have RGB lighting, they aren't more expensive because of the lighting, they are just higher end motherboard due to better VRM's and other higher end parts and features.

Also you can get the regular Cyborg H7 that is cheaper and isn't RGB.

Or go with a Dark Rock Pro 4, even better cooler or an Noctua NH D15.

Thread ripper is a waste of money for gaming, much slower than the Intel CPU's.

Dec 24, 2018

Dark Rock pro would be a little overkill I think, but Cryorig H7 is nice.

You're the ~20th who says intel is better for this purpose, so I think I go with the intel configs.

What about GPUs? AMD or Nvidia? I had AMD GPUs previously, but now the Nvidia is in kind of monopol situation.

As long as it's mid range or better NVIDIA is the way to go.

RTX 2070, GTX 1080, RTX 2080, GTX 1080Ti.

Dec 24, 2018
Great. Thanks. What do you think about RAM? Is the timing important for gaming, or it's just makes difference in 3DMark or other performance apps? So it doesn't really matter if it's CL14 or CL16? Frequency on the other hand… Many people told me that it's important, and don't look at anything less than 3000 MHz.
What is your opinion?

I would try and get CL14 or CL15 DDR4 3000 or 3200, yes it does make a difference overall.

Especially in your case that you want the thing to last awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.