Question ASM1166 M.2 Expander Chip - Intermittent Recognition

Aug 24, 2024
Hi All,

Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on my predicament.

I've got a HP MiniDesk Elite 800 G3, with a M.2 > 6x SATA Expander using an ASM1166 chip with 6x 2TB WDGreen HDDs. The drives are powered externally by a PSU.

I'm not trying to boot from the HDDs, I have a 2TB Samsung 870Evo which has Proxmox loaded onto it. Booting to the OS is no issue.

The issue is an intermittent recognition of the ASM166 chip. During the boot cycle, if I boot to BIOS and change any of the settings (seriously, I can update the boot delay setting only) within the BIOS, on the restart the chip is recognized and I can use/interact with the attached drives normally. However, when I just do a regular boot cycle without booting into the BIOS (and changing a setting), the chip (and the drives) are not recognized.

Though hours of internet research, there is a firmware update for the ASM1166 chip for select Intel chipsets (of which, my Motherboard does not utilize) which I performed as well to no resolution.

I'm not super familiar with boot settings, but is there a difference in boot cycles between when an update of BIOS settings occurs and not? I've got a side by side comparison of the boot log from dmesg which, isn't telling me much because honestly I don't know what I'm looking at. I can share that as well, but might be asking a lot.

Not sure if I'm going down the right path thinking its the boot cycles but... any help would be appreciated. Happy to troubleshoot myself, if people can point me in the right direction.