Asrock 960GC-GS FX help

Sawlstone

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
So my situation is that with my components below my build will power and where I expect it to boot it does not. There are no beeps. and nothing shows on my Monitor. This is what I have;

- Old processor AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+
- New MB Asrock 960GC-GS
- Enermax Tom. 500W PSU
- 4 GB DDR2
- GPU (none atm)
- 500GB HD used
- x24 DVDR used
- Going to install Win 8.1

I have read and tried all the trouble shooting guides available on this website. I have

- checked CPU direction, Thermal paste, and made sure it is clamped down properly
- Made sure 4pin connector is hooked up
- Tried booting with just MB, CPU, PSU, and monitor
- Tried booting with RAM and without RAM
- Checked spacer pins (or whatever they are called :D)
- Removed PSU and tried
- Removed MB, PSU and tried
- Tried booting with only CPU fan hooked up

So basically I am wondering if its safe to say that my MB might be DOA or am I missing a step? I just removed my CPU today and it was working fine in my old computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Solution

...and RAM. It won't boot w/o memory. If you install the RAM, and test it in breadboard fashion as you outlined, it should produce a display and allow you to boot into BIOS. Be sure the board is on an insulated surface and you are shorting the correct 2 pins on the FP header. While the board is out of the case, be sure you didn't add an extra standoff that isn't used. It may short out the back of the MB...

Sawlstone

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014

I just tested it with a PSU that I can confirm was working. Still no go. It should still boot with just the CPU, CPU fan, PSU connectors and monitor connected should it not? So confused since I have never had a bad product when buy new.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

...and RAM. It won't boot w/o memory. If you install the RAM, and test it in breadboard fashion as you outlined, it should produce a display and allow you to boot into BIOS. Be sure the board is on an insulated surface and you are shorting the correct 2 pins on the FP header. While the board is out of the case, be sure you didn't add an extra standoff that isn't used. It may short out the back of the MB when installed.
It is possible that the board is defective. I've had my share of them.

I'm shocked that that MB supports the old AM2 socket Athlon. I had to look up the MB's CPU support list to prove it to myself. But there is another possibility...

...there were 3 versions (at least) of that Athlon 64 x2 6000+ made.
ADX6000IAA6CZ: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%206000%2B%20-%20ADX6000IAA6CZ%20%28ADX6000CZBOX%29.html
ADV6000IAA5DO: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%206000%2B%20-%20ADV6000IAA5DO%20%28ADV6000DOBOX%29.html
ADA6000IAA6CZ: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%206000%2B%20-%20ADA6000IAA6CZ%20%28ADA6000CZBOX%29.html

The MB's CPU support list only lists the ADV6000IAA5DO and ADA6000IAA6CZ as compatible. I don't know if having the ADX6000IAA6CZ would be an issue or not. Maybe contact Asrock to have them verify that your CPU is compatible.

Solution

Sawlstone

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I was chatting with Asrock as well. I did clarify it is the 89 Watt model which should be compatible. I followed there method and I did breadboard it all to no avail. I sent him pictures of my setup and he instructed me to seek a replacement. So I guess I have some bad luck.

Yeah I was intriqued by this MB since it would allow me to use one of my old Athlon 64 x2 processors I have kicking around. And upgrade to a AM3+ chip at a later date. I literally removed the CPU from a working HP desktop before cleaning it and installing it on the new MB. It was in perfect shape. Another kicker is.

I decided to breadboarded my old HP that I removed it from to test the CPU. It powers and gives me 1 beep followed by another long beep which I think means it needs RAM. I booted with the RAM and it runs for a few seconds then shuts off. Any ideas about that? Is it possible I did damage the CPU?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Ouch! That could very well be a possibility. Did the HP work OK before you started this project? I know you said it was a working HP, but how long ago was it working?

I'm just grasping at straws here, but is it possible you didn't take enough ESD precautions and accidentally zapped the pin side of the socket? When you said you 'cleaned' the CPU before putting it in the new board, is it possible you might have touched the pins with your fingers or a cleaning tool?

In a way I can sympathize with you. I have 1 AMD and 1 Intel processor sitting on my shelf that were perfectly fine when I removed them. Now neither one will boot in 2 different AMD and Intel MBs. And the boards are either new or know-good.

Sawlstone

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014

Well it was working, working. I shut it down to dismantle it the night before I attempted the install. Yeah, I probably screwed it lol. Thanks for the insite. In any event I'll be shipping the board back for a new one. If this next one does not work than I'll at least know its the CPU.

Sawlstone

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014

Well wouldn't you know it but my somehow my DDR2 sticks where the problem. I tested another old Athlon x2 4200+ in the 6000+ original MB and used some old sticks of 512MB DDR2 and it booted fine. Tested the 6000+ back in the original board and it booted fine. Then moved the 512MB to the Asrock board with the 4200+ then the 6000+ and all is good lol. It helps to be a stubborn SOB.

Thanks for you help.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Hey, congrats on the stick-with-it-ness. A bad stick of RAM. Heck, I thought when you did the above memory swap in and out, that a bad stick would have shown up. Apparently you were always putting in both sticks at once. Or you only had one stick. Either way, I glad it all works now.