AsRock B450 Pro4 won't boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2019
This is my first PC build and I got the Mobo and RAM from a build guide on PC Part-Picker so I don't think the compatibility between them should be an issue. However, when I boot the PC everything turns on fans etc. but the PC gives no output and doesn't boot.

I have bought a motherboard speaker and it does not beep unless I take a component out, I know this because one of the two times I rebuilt the PC I forgot to plug in the graphics card.

I have checked all the plugs and I cannot get it to start, I have also removed a RAM as well as switching slots. This did not work either. I'm at a lose end on this so I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard

Team - Vulcan 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 - 3000 Memory

Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD

MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

NZXT H500i ATX Case

Corsair -CXM (2015) 450W

I'd really appreciate any help :)

Jan 4, 2019
I cleared CMOS and I have tried both HDMI ports (graphics card and MOBO), got nothing from them.

I was aware that it was on the light side, initially I got a 550 Watt PSU but when I checked with the cooler master power supply calculator, it suggested it should be fine, recommended 435 watts I believe.

Jan 4, 2019
I am working on my first build and am running into a similar problem. Fans turn on, but that's it. I don't see any lights on the motherboard and nothing on the monitor. I have the same CPU and mobo as you. I also have the corsair 450 power supply. I'm thinking I will try a new power supply and if that does not work I may have to return the mobo.

We're you able to get your computer running?

Jan 4, 2019
I was able to fill all of the slots with the plugs provided (I'm not sure which box the power connectors came from but) there were enough to connect all the sockets to the PSU.

Unfortunately not, I have a 550 Watt PSU handy, so I'm going to try it today to see if that works, keep me updated on whether you're able to fix it :) - Which GPU are you using?

I am a little skeptical of the PSU and the bigger PSU is at my other home, its going to require me driving an hour and a half round trip to get it. Given that all the calculator recommendations suggest under 450W is it worth trying?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

To the psu yes,but not to the gpu (graphics card). Yes i would try that 550watt psu if it is a decent one.

Also weird that you don't know which box the power cables came from,you shouldn't mix cables from one brand with another.

Jan 4, 2019

I think you misunderstood what I said :), I meant I filled all the power sockets on the GPU and connected said sockets to the PSU, I checked tutorials etc. and it is definitely correctly powered (fans come on etc).

By the box I mean I don't know whether the cables were from the power supply box or another component included in the build, all I know is when I looked for the cables I found the ones I needed.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
My bad,must have been mistaken with the CX series. Can you post some pictures here? You either have something wired wrong,maybe forgot stand offs or the psu may not be working fine. It should have enough power to boot anyway.

Can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Might still be good to test with the other psu though.
Tested with just one stick of ram?
Looked at cpu pins?
What beeps does it give when you unplug the gpu?
Able to test the gpu in another system? maybe from a friend or local shop ...

Jan 4, 2019
I went to an electronics store this morning. They tested my PSU (Corsair CX 450M) and it works. However, thinking about it now, they only tested the 24 pin connector. They did not test the 8 pin CPU. I'm not sure if it's necessary to check both but just want to point that out.

I then went and looked at the motherboards and spoke with an employee there. I decided to purchase a PC Analyzer ($12) to test the mobo, and I purchased a second mobo - ASUS Prime B450M. It's basically identical to the ASRock B450M we both have. I'll eventually return one of the mobos.

I get back home and try using the PC Analyzer on the old mobo (the AS Rock). Nothing happens. The PC Analyzer doesn't turn on or anything. I plugged it into the PCI slot, but nothing happens. It did not come with good directions. I tried looking up some YouTube videos, but didn't find much.

I then tried the new mobo (ASUS). The exact same thing happens. Fans spin, but I don't get any picture on my monitor. I pulled the video card out, and put in the PC Analyzer, and again, nothing. PC Analyzer doesn't turn on.

I will say, one nice thing about the ASUS mobo is, it has some LED lights. I was concerned about not seeing LEDs light up on the ASRock mobo, but I don't think it has any lights.

Based on this I think the problem may be the CPU. The chances of getting 2 bad motherboards has to be extremely low. And since the LEDs on the ASUS mobo come on, I don't think the mobo is the issue. Could a bad CPU be the reason why the PC Analyzer doesn't come on? I've checked multiple times that the CPU is in correctly. Some thermal paste did spread onto the side of the CPU, but not on the pins. The employee at the store said I should be fine, thermal paste on the side wouldn't cause a problem.

Other than the CPU, the problem could be 1) the 8 pin CPU connector from the PSU that I mention above, or 2) the video card, just because I have yet to see anything on my monitor.

Let me know if you have any other ideas or if you've made any progress.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
How are you turning on your machine? Are you connecting the power button to the front panel pins? You have a temporary button that you connect to the front panel pins?

The odds of getting 2 bad motherboards is still at least an order more likely than the CPU being bad. It is extremely rare that a brand new CPU is bad.

Jan 4, 2019
Oh, I'm sorry. You mean for the PC Analyzer? Yes, there is a cord that I plugged one side into the Analyzer and the other into the front panel connectors (power switch)

Jan 4, 2019

I thought the same but I went through some YouTube videos that helped diagnose problems with the CPU and was led to believe that it doesn't align with the symptoms of the problem: am I right in thinking that it would either turn on and eventually overheat or not perform properly, or not start the bootup sequence at all (no fans on etc) and no beep feedback?

Jan 4, 2019

I am was starting to conclude it could be the GPU as well - the PC I'm building is not for me, its for my brother; fortunately I have recently bought a PC for myself so once that arrives I should be able to check the GPU. - in terms of a photo, because its for my brother I have to travel an hour and a half to work on it and take photos etc. However, I'll see if I can pop over today to do that :)

The only thing that makes me skeptical that the GPU is the issue is that joshwood5 has the same symptoms as me but not the same GPU (as far as I'm aware).

Jan 4, 2019
I am beginning to conclude that it could be the PSU contrary to what the calculators suggest, it just aligns with all the symptoms of the problem: however, so do other faulty components.

Jan 4, 2019
My GPU is a Radeon RX570.

I decided to give up on this project. I learned a lot about computer hardware. But at this point I've invested a crazy amount of hours reading forums and trying to fix the problem. I'm going to start returning the parts today. I may try building a computer again in a few months. But I'll start with cheaper parts and do more of a budget build until I get something working. Not that I bought anything super expensive, but in total I probably invested $800.

For anyone reading this, one thing I learned is to purchase parts from stores with a friendly return policy. Seems like returns won't be a problem at Amazon or my local store. But NewEgg could be a hassle. I know they won't let me return the GPU. Since I think that might be the defect, I will ask the manufacturer send me a new one.

Best of luck with your build and let me know if you find a fix.

Jan 4, 2019
You may be correct about the CPU not being the problem. I watched a few videos yesterday and they said the odds of the CPU being the problem are super, super low.

As you said, maybe it is the PSU and something wrong with the CPU 8 pin connector. I think the 24 pin connector probably works since that powered the fans on, and was tested as working. I guess I don't understand the difference between what the 24 pin connector does, and what the 8 pin connector does. Does the 8 pin power on the CPU and the 24 pin everything else?

Jan 4, 2019

I believe you're right, 8 pin to the CPU, 24 pin to the motherboard.

I can't help noticing we're using the same case - is it possible that there is a compatibility issue between the case and the mobo? (although that seems to be contradicted from when you tried another mobo).

I am increasingly beginning to believe it is the PSU or (as you said) the 8 pin on the CPU power.

Status
Not open for further replies.