[SOLVED] Asrock B550 Phantom 4 Mobo fans are very noisy on startup but if I turn off and on again they are silent.

Jan 17, 2021
Hi all, need some help as unable to find the reason for this anomaly. When I turn on my computer after being off say overnight, the fan spin very loudly and will permanently remain noisy.

However, If I turn off the PC and the restart it the fans will start quietly and remain quiet. This happens every time.

I have checked the fans and all seem ok, it is definitely a motherboard issue. I have looked in the BIOS settings and I am unable to locate anything to change which could be the cause of this strange issue.

Mobo - Asrock B550 Phantom 4 BIOS 1.3
CPU - Ryzen 3100

Any tips or advice greatfully received as although not a big issue its highly annoying to have to start the PC then turn it off and back on again to fix it..

Solution
If you just turn on the PC after a long time off, and the fans are noisy but when u just turn off and on shortly after, definitely looks like it's a bad fan, might be because the berrings of the fan are cold it makes noise where when u just shut off and turn it on, the fan is still warm.

Just a thought.

Hi, I did check them all individually swapping them out to put in another PC case to test them. All the fans in the case were new and the Graphics Card was only 6 months old.

SOLVED - I located the problem in the BIOS settings . There is a feature in the BIOS called "FAN TASTIC" hidden away below all the fan setting options. In there one of the chassis fans was set to "Max performance" whilst all the others were on...
Jan 17, 2021
There are 3 BIOS for this motherboard I had the latest one 1.3 flashed. Tried the 1.2 version but still the same problem.

It just seems really frustrating that when you turn the computer on first, there is this constant loud fans whirring..

Then by immediately turning it off and turning it back on again.. The fan spin "properly" and the PC is silent or how it should be...

If you just turn on the PC after a long time off, and the fans are noisy but when u just turn off and on shortly after, definitely looks like it's a bad fan, might be because the berrings of the fan are cold it makes noise where when u just shut off and turn it on, the fan is still warm.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Penpiddin
Jan 17, 2021

Just a thought.

Hi, I did check them all individually swapping them out to put in another PC case to test them. All the fans in the case were new and the Graphics Card was only 6 months old.

SOLVED - I located the problem in the BIOS settings . There is a feature in the BIOS called "FAN TASTIC" hidden away below all the fan setting options. In there one of the chassis fans was set to "Max performance" whilst all the others were on "Silent" setting. I have change all the fans to the silent settings and PC remains cool and now is happily quiet on initial boot-up.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Solution