[SOLVED] ASRock B550 steel legend & PATRIOT Viper Steel 32GB 3600

Jan 7, 2021
Hello everyone!
Can you tell me if PATRIOT Viper Steel 32GBx2 3600 memory will work on ASRock B550 steel legend board. I did not find such a memory in the description. Maybe someone checked it?

Solution
[QUOTE = "MeanMachine41, сообщение: 22151031, участник: 1489995"]
Пожалуйста, укажите свой процессор?
[/ QUOTE]

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
\
Your Ryzen CPU officially supports up to 3200MHz so no guarantee a frequency of 3600MHz will work.
The Kit of RAM you have chosen (Patriot Viper) are not listed on the MB QVL so are untested. Combined with the fact 3600MHz and 64GB is quite a strain on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) you would be well advised to choose a kit of RAM that have been tested and listed on the MB QVL at 3200MHz.
What is the need for 64GB?
Jan 7, 2021
[/ QUOTE]

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

[/ QUOTE]

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
\
Your Ryzen CPU officially supports up to 3200MHz so no guarantee a frequency of 3600MHz will work.
The Kit of RAM you have chosen (Patriot Viper) are not listed on the MB QVL so are untested. Combined with the fact 3600MHz and 64GB is quite a strain on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) you would be well advised to choose a kit of RAM that have been tested and listed on the MB QVL at 3200MHz.

Solution
Jan 7, 2021
\

I need to use a lot of graphs in the browser that take a lot of RAM. I'm even ready that it will work at 3200, in the future I also wanted to buy 64 GB so that there was a total volume of 128 GB

I need to use a lot of graphs in the browser that take a lot of RAM. I'm even ready that it will work at 3200, in the future I also wanted to buy 64 GB so that there was a total volume of 128 GB

I would agree that Chrome Browser uses a lot of RAM however, I doubt any condition when just using the browser would need more than 16GB. Applications such as Video editing large files and 3D CAD rendering would benefit from additional RAM (when time is important) however 64GB is overkill and 128GB is just a waste imo.

Jan 7, 2021
I would agree that Chrome Browser uses a lot of RAM however, I doubt any condition when just using the browser would need more than 16GB. Applications such as Video editing large files and 3D CAD rendering would benefit from additional RAM (when time is important) however 64GB is overkill and 128GB is just a waste imo.

I also want to use memory as a virtual disk for fast operations

I also want to use memory as a virtual disk for fast operations

You misunderstand what virtual memory does.
Also known as the Swap file, virtual memory allows a computer to treat secondary memory as though it were the main memory. If the OS has to swap data between virtual memory and RAM too often, it can make the computer feel very slow -- this is called thrashing.
A system using virtual memory uses a section of the hard drive to emulate RAM. With virtual memory, a system can load larger programs or multiple programs running at the same time, allowing each one to operate as if it has infinite memory and without having to purchase more RAM.
While copying virtual memory into physical memory, the OS divides memory into pagefiles or swap files with a fixed number of addresses. Each page is stored on a disk, and when the page is needed, the OS copies it from the disk to main memory and translates the virtual addresses into real addresses.

Virtual Memory has its Limitations
  • The use of virtual memory has its tradeoffs, particularly with speed. It's generally better to have as much physical memory as possible, so programs work directly from RAM or physical memory.
  • The use of virtual memory slows a computer because data must be mapped between virtual and physical memory, which requires extra hardware support for address translations.
  • The size of virtual storage is limited by the amount of secondary storage, as well as the addressing scheme with the computer system.
  • Thrashing can happen if the amount of RAM is too small, which will make the computer perform slower.
  • It may take time to switch between applications using virtual memory.

Jan 7, 2021
You misunderstand what virtual memory does.
Also known as the Swap file, virtual memory allows a computer to treat secondary memory as though it were the main memory. If the OS has to swap data between virtual memory and RAM too often, it can make the computer feel very slow -- this is called thrashing.
A system using virtual memory uses a section of the hard drive to emulate RAM. With virtual memory, a system can load larger programs or multiple programs running at the same time, allowing each one to operate as if it has infinite memory and without having to purchase more RAM.
While copying virtual memory into physical memory, the OS divides memory into pagefiles or swap files with a fixed number of addresses. Each page is stored on a disk, and when the page is needed, the OS copies it from the disk to main memory and translates the virtual addresses into real addresses.

Virtual Memory has its Limitations
  • The use of virtual memory has its tradeoffs, particularly with speed. It's generally better to have as much physical memory as possible, so programs work directly from RAM or physical memory.
  • The use of virtual memory slows a computer because data must be mapped between virtual and physical memory, which requires extra hardware support for address translations.
  • The size of virtual storage is limited by the amount of secondary storage, as well as the addressing scheme with the computer system.
  • Thrashing can happen if the amount of RAM is too small, which will make the computer perform slower.
  • It may take time to switch between applications using virtual memory.

RAM is faster than the paging file. I turned off this function in a system with a memory volume of 16GB so as not to write unnecessary information on the ssd, I need to extend his life. there are programs that make a hard disk from RAM, this allows you to use only RAM and not use a hard disk. Of course, there are limitations in the amount of RAM and you need to understand how much RAM the computer will use for work and what will be seen for the disk. For example, my program weighs 40GB, for it I make a disk from RAM and load it there, the rest of 34GB will be used for the system and the same program if it needs RAM. I do not think that in such cases there will be a loss of performance. can i be wrong?

TRENDING THREADS