• AMD Ryzen 5600x
  • ASROCK Taichi x570
  • Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM - 32GB
  • Corsair MP600 512 GB SSD
  • WD Black 750 1TB SSD
  • Gigabyte 3060TI Gaming OC graphics card
  • Lian li Galahad 360 AIO
  • Corsair RM650 PSU

Except for the PSU all other components are brand new. PSU is about 2-year-old, but given its an Corsair RM series that was working fine, did not see a reason to change it.

Since the bios that came with the motherboard did not support the 5000 series chips i upgraded the bios to 4.0 (latest) and completed the full setup. Initially no problem noticed. But then after a few days the following issues are happening.

- The motherboard when i switch it on (just the PSU) the RGB Leds of the motherboard come on but the light of the onboard power button and reset button do not come on.

- If press the power button, the mother starts the post process and then suddenly reboots (before even showing the ASROCK logo). Then it automatically boots again and this time it completes the boot process and comes to the window login screen. This happens every time i switch of and on the PSU.

- At the windows login screen, it randomly powers off (sometimes it does not and seems to work well), but most times its powers off. When it powers off then i cant seem to power up the motherboard no matter how many times i press the power button. every time, the light in the accessories flicker and then it switches off. However, if I switch off and on the PSU,, i can start the process again.

I tried a lot of things
- Removed all accessories and fans
- Downgraded the BIOS
- Reset and cleared BIOS
- Upgraded the BIOS

None of these had any impact

The taichi motherboard has a 8PIN and a 4 pin CPU power connector. My PSU does not have a 4 pin CPU power connector and from what i read on the net the 4 pin power connector was required only if we were using high end CPU or was into overclocking. So i connected only the 8 pin power connector and not the 4 pin

While studying the problem i realised the once the error occurred, the PC would not turn on not mater how many times i press the power button on the motherboard. It will work only if i switch off and on the PSU. So realized that some protection mechanism of the PSU was kicking in. So i used another PSU (Antec HCG 850W Gold) and also connected both the 8pin and 4 pin CPU power connectors. Now the PC seems stable. I ran a Stability test for 7 hours and it did not crash or reboot. But the following issues persist

1. When i switch on the PSU if i correctly remember, the power and reset switch on the motherboard used to light up. Now it does not, though the other RGB lights on the motherboard come on.

2. When i push the power button the motherboard goes through one power cycle i.e before the motherboard logo comes on the screen the motherboard switches of (stays off for about 3-5 secs) and then automatically reboots and then it boots fine. This happens only if i switch on and off the power supply and happens every time I switch off and on the PSU.

3. When i shutdown the PC from windows, after shutdown the lights of the power and reset button on the motherboard come on. I guess this is the actual and expected behaviour and now if i switch on the PC it boots up without power cycling.

4. If i switch off the PSU and on it again, then the issues mentioned in points 1 and 2 above repeat. And this happens everytime I power off the PSU and switch it on.

Question

• Is something wrong with the motherboard? DO i need to RMA it
  • Any ideas on why the power cycle happens whenever i switch off and on the PSU and not when i shutdown and restart my PC from windows.
  • How is it that given my configuration a premium Corsair RM 650W PSU cannot handle the load and requires a 850W PSU ? When i look at a PSU Calculator for my config, the load is supposed to be around 450W only.

Solution
Found a partial solution to the problem. Based on advice i tried the upgrade of the BIOS from the first version that supported 5000 series processor and from there upgrading each version of BIOS incrementally. The following was the results of my testing starting from the oldest version of the BIOS that supports 5000 series CPU to the latest version.

3.4 - worked for non XMP profile. Does not allow saving of XMP profile shows D0 error and reboots and then forces the DRAM to auto mode
3.61 - works and seems stable for XMP and Non XMP profile
3.8 - works and seems stable for XMP and Non XMP profile
4.0 - Failed causes a reboot

The weird thing is i had tested with version 3.8 before and it had not worked. I guess i had to go through...
8pin eps can go 230watts (well it can go even more, but its mostly locked to 230 when 4pin eps is there aswell), your CPU can go up to 150watts (if u dont overclock), so there shouldnt be issue

power off without being able to power on is indeed PSU protection, what triggers it, is uknown, if u know another PSU is running fine, then corsair is just picky :p

cold boot with reboot, does this happen with that another PSU aswell?

atreyu

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2005
8pin eps can go 230watts (well it can go even more, but its mostly locked to 230 when 4pin eps is there aswell), your CPU can go up to 150watts (if u dont overclock), so there shouldnt be issue

power off without being able to power on is indeed PSU protection, what triggers it, is uknown, if u know another PSU is running fine, then corsair is just picky :p

cold boot with reboot, does this happen with that another PSU aswell?

Yes even with the new PSU, the motherboard reboots once before booting properly and only if the PSU is switched off and on,

Gut feel tells me it is something to do with the BIOS as both issues occur only on cold boot. If i restart the PC from windows then these issues are not there. But i dont know how to clear the BIOS cmmpletely. I have tried downgrading the BIOS, clearing the BIOS holdng the bios clear button. But nothing helps resolve the problem.

EDIT: Also added a video link to show the problem. At 2 secs mark you can see the issue of the power button and reset button not lighting up. At 22 sec mark you can see the power cycle that happens.

Video Link - Video LInk of Issue

Last edited:

atreyu

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2005
Just to update on the issue:

I took the motherboard back to the dealer for testing and he tested with a 3600 series processor and there was no power recycle. But the light issue was there. So he tested his CPU 3600 series on a new Taichi X570 motherboard that he had. On that I noticed that the power and reset light comes on only after the power button is pressed and stays on till the BIOS screen comes or the systems starts to boot and then it switches off. But on my board this was not happening the lights stayed off.

Please note i have tested my CPU and memory config on a Gigabyte X570 master motherboard and it works fine without any issues.

But when i put my CPU in the new board it would not post (d2 error) and then he updated BIOS using BIOS Flashback to version 4.0. Now the new board boots exactly like mine and the same issue repeats including the light behavior and the one time power cycling started.

So what i have summarized is that ASrock x570 Taichi motherboards are useless and not ready for the 5000 series processors. My guess is that the BIOS Flashback process is screwed up and that is what is causing the Light and powercycle issue.

Now there does not seem to be anyway to cleanup the BIOS and bring it back to original state. I tried BIOS reset, BIOS clear button, BIOS clear jumper, even removing the BIOS battery for 12 hours. Nothing works. Issues stays.

atreyu

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2005
no the BIOS was updated to the latest by the dealer using a 3000 series CPU, but when i put the 5600 it gave a 0d error. Then i updated that same BIOS using BIOS Flashback button and have reached the current state.

atreyu

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2005
Found a partial solution to the problem. Based on advice i tried the upgrade of the BIOS from the first version that supported 5000 series processor and from there upgrading each version of BIOS incrementally. The following was the results of my testing starting from the oldest version of the BIOS that supports 5000 series CPU to the latest version.

3.4 - worked for non XMP profile. Does not allow saving of XMP profile shows D0 error and reboots and then forces the DRAM to auto mode
3.61 - works and seems stable for XMP and Non XMP profile
3.8 - works and seems stable for XMP and Non XMP profile
4.0 - Failed causes a reboot

The weird thing is i had tested with version 3.8 before and it had not worked. I guess i had to go through the BIOS upgrade in the right sequence and not jump directly.

However the light issue has still not resolved, but i dont care about that anymore. At least the power cycling issue is solved. So i guess I will stick with version 3.8 for now.

Solution