ASRock X99M Extreme4 And Fatal1ty X99M Killer Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
Nice work Thomas! Guess you were sitting on this board in your lab for some time now huh ? :D :)

Anyways, good writeup and keep em coming. Now to find someone crazy enough to shell out on a X99 platform inside an N200 ... hmmm.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It takes a couple weeks to get stuff published, unless there's an NDA and everyone puts everything else to the side. These would be among the stuff put to the side though :(
At least you knew it was coming :)

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014

Onya Crash. Nice review as well.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
The ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer LGA 2011-v3 is selling for $250 ($230 AMIR) on Newegg. Amazon currently isn't selling it on Amazon, and 3rd parties are known to over mark products.

Tom, what would it take to get ASRock to start putting more 4-pin fan headers on their boards? I love their products, been using a Z68 Ex4 Gen3 for three years and just built a friend's machine on an H97M Pro4. But I love quiet PCs. Having PWM signalling for all the chassis fans, and not just the CPU coolers, means it runs as quiet as possible during web surfing and other downtime.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know, but we have an ASRock guy who can pop in and read this stuff.

And you're experienced enough to know that some boards offer voltage-level fan speed control on 3-pin.

Yes, and I've set those on my board to keep the other fans as quiet as practical. But those are static settings. I'd much rather have a thermal controlled fan that can throttle up and down as needed. I'm fortunate enough to have a case with a built-in fan controller ( Raven 3, ) but that's only for the two bottom intakes. And they stay on low 99% of the time. But the top fan is the one that's more audible since it's closer to my ears. I'd love that one to be on a PWM header, but to do that I'd need to get a splitter for my two CPU cooler fans. It's not a big expense or trouble, but I'd rather not have to deal with it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Really...I hate to add fan controller tests, but it appears that some onboard fan controllers are capable of dynamic voltage adjustment while others are not. And then there are those that are not controlled at all (wide open all the time).

Lutfij

Titan
Most high end boards will feature a suite to setup your fan profiles with a voltage/temperature curve. I haven't used ASrock boards extensively but I know that is a feature set found on Asus' boards.

RedJaron,
You could perhaps look into the 8 way PWM splitter by Swiftech... ?

;) The teaser was given away by non other than you on the EVGA X99 Micro thread mate...so if anything, thank you for fulfilling my expectations :D

Honestly speaking, I must agree with matx boards as they offer better flexibility than an atx board and is a step up from a mitx pcb.

Just try the Swiftech splitter, I think its under 10 bucks

Eggz

Distinguished
Where is Asus on this?!

The Rampage IV Gene is one of my favorite all time boards.

I hope they make an Asus Rampage V Gene!

The IV Gene came out two years after the ATX version, so hopefully they'll move faster on LGA2011-3 than they did on LGA2011.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Chin1Chu: For whatever reason it looks like you got caught in our process to ensure bots don't get in here. Not sure why but looking into it. Meanwhile, you can send an e-mail from that contact page. It's not to Crashman directly, but if you specify your purpose it should get to him.

My old-ish board does not support dynamic voltage on the 3-pin headers. It simply gives a static level option. The 4-pin of course allows me to set target speed and temp. I didn't extensively look at the fan levels on the H97 rig I just built since we were using a 4460 with all stock fans so PWM on the CPU and chassis fan was good enough. I may have my buddy poke around and tell me what he finds. I'd love it if that became a standard-ish feature on most current and new boards.

I wasn't aware of that splitter, but I will look into it. Their site currently says it's out of stock. Yes, it's inexpensive, but my whole point is that other manufacturers offer more PWM headers for comparable prices already, thus not needing fan splitters in the first place.

ralanahm

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I thought for a second Intel released another version, Core i7-5960"K" at 1.28v that was for overclocking.
I think like you said before reused table.. maybe you can make you tables have references (cpu) so you type it in once and it will be correct on all the pages. so you don't have to reread every digit/char 3 times over.

r0llinlacs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
I have been more than happy with my Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer. But AMD gets no love around here. Killer ethernet DID drop my pings from 50's to 20's. Everybody thinks Asrock is cheap. Maybe they used to be. But now it seems they make the best boards for the money. Mine 990FX Killer was only $130 and everything else in that price range was basically absolute junk for what I wanted and junk specs compared to this board.

thehax

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
It's the better sound-solution, not the gaming-stuff, that made me choose the Killer over the Extreme4.

Status
Not open for further replies.