Asrock Z77 Extreme4 & EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 Video problem

Cordedstraw

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Hello, this is the first time I every build a PC and I got all the part I wanted and put it together but when I turn it on my monitor say to check the signal cable so I did and nothing happened. so I removed the Graphics card and it started to show the opening screen but when I reconnect the GPU it went black again. so I took out the GPU and then turned it on and installed Win7 and installed all the motherboard programs. after that I put the GPU back in and it went black and ask to check the signal again. so again I took the GPU out and went into the BIOS and went into the advance tab and opened a file called North Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge (I think that was what is called) and I changed the video display from PCI-E to onboard and it worked and showed the opening screen and ect. and I was able to go into device manager and it detected my GPU but when I installed the Nvidia control panel it said that my display is not using the right GPU or something. can anyone help me with this problem please?

Thank you

That brand and wattage is your power supply? Did you connect both the power cords for your 670?

I'd connect the monitor to the mobo, go in the bios, set it back to PCI-E, save, power down, reconnect monitor to 670, and try again.

Also try connecting to a different output on the 670 like HDMI if you are trying DVI currently.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
It's kind of hard to follow but from what I get out of it, it sounds like he is using the motherboard display port the whole time.
He pulls the card and it works, puts the card in and it doesn't (because the onboard is switching off)
He switched the bios to onboard, which of course works, and then the NVidia control panel tells him he's not using an Nvidia card (which he isn't at that point)

OP If I'm interpreting this right, you need to plug the monitor into the display port on the video card once you put the card in. Do what J_E_D_70 says to do but make sure you plug the monitor into the card this time.