Legion501

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
Hello all,

I haven't been into the PC gaming for a while, and I am lost with the current hardware. I am looking to upgrade my current build, that is old by now to play current games and I think my GPU is kind of dead because when I run certain games, it tends to crash, and I have to reboot the whole computer (no errors or messages that I can see, it gets stuck on a solid color screen and cannot move the cursor).

Current build:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 3.10GHz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Mini
MB: Asus B85M-G R2.0
RAM: 12 GB DDR3 3 channels
PSU: CX 650 80+ Bronze

I was looking for something like a Ryzen 5 (5600, 5600G or 5600X) or an Intel Core i5 10th, 11th, 12th generation (like 10400, 10400F, 10600KF, 11400F, 12400F) and between an RX 6750 XT or a RTX 3060 or the Ti version.

I will use the computer for 1080p gaming, maybe 1440p max but no more than. I really don't want to spend that much as I am not crazy about getting a lot of FPS but I saw somewhere that a new generation of GPUs and CPUs will drop soon, and prices can go a little bit down for the old generations.

Considering the hardware options I gave, ¿what would be better between the CPUs and the GPUs? I read that the RX is better because it has more VRAM than the 3060 but I am not completely aware of this. Thank you for any help on this.

Lutfij

Titan
Are you looking to recycle your PSU? If so, how old is the unit?

Where are you located, what is your preferred site for purchase and when would you be looking towards the upgrade path(how soon will you be upgrading)?

Try running with the integrated graphics to see if your gpu problems go away.

As to an upgrade, $300 will buy you a I3-12100, a B660 motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 ram.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i3-12100-12100f-review/5
Spend the extra $25 or so for a non F version so you retain graphics diagnostic capability. Cheap insurance.

You could do this first and test out your current GTX970.
If you will upgrade to a 3060 class graphics card, not only is there amd competition, but the Intel A770 will be introduced, giving that price segment good competition.

Legion501

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
Are you looking to recycle your PSU? If so, how old is the unit?

Where are you located, what is your preferred site for purchase and when would you be looking towards the upgrade path(how soon will you be upgrading)?

I forgot to mention that. The PSU it's about 2 years old, and yes, I am looking to still use it, but I am open to buy a recent one if is necessary for the hardware if it requires more power.

I am located in Latin-America so don't worry about finding the parts on certain website, I will accommodate to what we have here, more likely will be the same brands (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Cooler Master, Aorus, Asrock, Kingston, PNY, EVGA, Sapphire, Zotac, etc.).

I don't have a date yet, I really have no problem waiting till the end of year or first months of the next one, no rush at all.

Also what budget are we looking at, that may be a good start to know what we can find for you.

I'm planning a budget about of $750 up to $900 USD on my region (Latin-America) but don't worry, I will check similarities with the recommendations I get. I am interested on MB, CPU, GPU and RAM.

Legion501

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
Try running with the integrated graphics to see if your gpu problems go away.

As to an upgrade, $300 will buy you a I3-12100, a B660 motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 ram.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i3-12100-12100f-review/5
Spend the extra $25 or so for a non F version so you retain graphics diagnostic capability. Cheap insurance.

You could do this first and test out your current GTX970.
If you will upgrade to a 3060 class graphics card, not only is there amd competition, but the Intel A770 will be introduced, giving that price segment good competition.

I forgot about Intel's GPUs. About the tests, you are correct, I can play games but obviously in a really low resolution and textures, I really don't know what it is, but it crashed with Euro Truck Simulator, but no with Doom Eternal (Windows 10 version).

If you fail with a certain game, look for a game patch.
Or, check the game forums.

As to pricing, I expect the 13th gen intel processors to be some 15% better price performers than 12th gen. But, the top 13900K will be scalped and in short supply.
I think the 13600K will be the go to cpu at $330, and if you want one, get in a pre-order.

On graphics, wait if you can, I expect 3060 class cards to be very price competitive once A770 becomes available.