ASUS 4850 - Crashing with new cooler

Lienz

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I have an ASUS 4850 512mb video card. It's been solid for one year, but loud as hell. I purchased a ZALMAN VF700-CU cooler and installed it with Arctic Silver thermal paste. Connected to the 12v connector for the 'normal' setting per instructions. When after running windows for 5-10mins, it crashes to a green screen and reboots. I'm able to open up Catalyst and see the card is at 30-35C, so I don't think it's overheating.

Any thoughts?

THis temps are nowhere near high. So if you just leave it sit in windows it crashes after 5-10 minutes Or were you actively using it?

Did you make sure to clean off everything before putting the paste on? Also, did you make sure no to over apply the paste, you just need a tiny rice size bit in the center of the GPU or a paper thin coating.

Lienz

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I will be using it very minimally (browsing, two monitors, etc) and it crashes. I cleaned the GPU pretty clean from the old paste. I don't think I over applied the thermal paste, but I guess I can take it off and see if it squeezed out the sides of the GPU.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Maybe the card is dying? If it has been loud for a year it could have been overheating for a year. The heatsink/fan might have not been seated correctly.
ASUS has great customer support/warranty though, if nothing works see if the warranty covers a new one.

Shaitis_06

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I had similar problems after installing Auras Fridge passive cooler.
After short investigation I've found out that one of the memory HS felt apart partially and was touching board. After moving it to position card was running smooth.

Those 4850 are damn hot ;/

Lienz

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Well, I did notice one of the RAM heat sinks fell off. I reattached it and it continued to crash. I reseated the cooler several times. It seemed the cooler was a little loose on the card (had a little play side to side, maybe 1-2cm if that) even when it was tightened very well. I added some rubber washers that came extra with the kit to add some more resistance and reseated the HS again. It seemed to run okay, but would crash updating the newest ATI drivers. I went back to the second most recent driver and it installed perfectly.

Now its running solid for the last 10 hours. I guess it could of partially have been the fan not seated correctly (though it was running in the 30's C at ideal and would crash) or just a driver issue. Anyways, I hope I have not spoken too soon.

Thanks for all the input.