ASUS A7N8X and AMD Athlon XP 3000+ BIOS settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrank

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Hi. I hope I'm in the right section, as I'm not necessarily looking to overclock as my CPU as much as I am looking for the optimum BIOS settings for my computer (I've looked all over the web and have come up with too many varied answers). I'm not having significant issues, although on occasion, my system locks up and can't find the keyboard, and I have to remove the mobo battery to reset things. Here are my specs:

Mobo: Asus A7N8X-X
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (model #AXDA3000DKV4E)
Frequency (MHz): 3000 (rated) 2100 (real)
Bus speed (MHz): 400
Clock multiplier: 10.5
RAM: 2 sticks of 1gb Kingston PC3200 400MHz DDR
Graphics: Sapphire HD 3850

My current settings are:
CPU External FQ = 200MHz
CPU FQ Multiple Settings = 10.5
System Performance = USER DEFINED
CPU Interface = Optimum
Memory FQ = 100%
Memory Timing = Aggressive
FSB Spread Spectrum = disabled
AGP Spread Spectrum = disabled
CPU Vcore Setting = Menu
CPU Vcore = 1.65v
Graphics Aperture Size = 128MB
AGP FQ = 66MHz

It's only with these settings that I'm actually seeing the AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor speed show up on the boot process. However, it is also showing a Memory Frequency of 133MHz, Single Channel. I have my RAM installed in the #2 and #3 slots, which as far as I know should give me the dual channel set up for this mother board. How else should I have this set up? Thanks for any help and advice.

Frank

Solution

phrank

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Thanks! I'll try the 1 and 3 slots. I built my system myself and have periodically upgraded it. It's about as far as it can go (or at least I'm going to take it) before building a new system. I'll also download that CPUID program and check out my memory settings. Thanks, and I'll get back with you.

phrank

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Hi, I tried the 1 and 3 slots, and at boot up the BIOS is still saying single channel. The system is running ok, though, at these settings. Unless anyone can give me any other suggestions, I'm just going to leave it alone at that for now. Thanks!

CPU Ext Freq = 200MHZ
CPU Freq Multiple = 10.5
System Performance = User Defined
CPU Interface = Optimum
Memory Freq = 100%
Resulting Freq = 200%
Memory Timing = User Defined
- 7/3/3/2.5
FSB and AGP Spread Spectrum = disabled
CPU Vore Setting = Menu
CPU Vcore = 1.65v
Graphics Aperture Size = 128MG
AGP Freq = 66

Frank

phrank

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

I bought the two sticks at the same time to make sure they were the same. They both have two stickers on them that say the exact same thing. Once sticker says '1GB PC3200 400MHZ DDR', and the other sticker says 'Kingston KTD4400/1G 2.5V'.

There is another number on the sticks that is different, but I assume that's the serial number. Those numbers are
AVMS1620648 and ASMS1680599.

I've tried RAM in all three variations of slots (1&2, 1&3, 2&3), and with all of these variations, during boot up it still says that it's running single channel. Is there a setting in the BIOS that might alter that?

Thanks!

Frank

no. Usually the BIOS recognizes the RAM individually and when there is a multi-setup, it will kick into a drive system where the firmware activates a multi-channel memory module and creates a dual or triple channel system of memory storage.

Have you tested the individual RAM cards each? There could be a bad set in your bunch there. When it is bad, it tends to ignore and shuts off the card itself, rendering it inoperative. This may be the case why your BIOS sees only a single channel setup.

phrank

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

When the system boots up, it does the RAM check and seems to recognize the entire 2gb, but other than that, no, I haven't tested the RAM cards. How would I go about doing that?

Frank

basically put each card into the main slot,( that would be Slot #1),individually,and power it up. Make sure the BIOS performs a POST. Usually, if a card is bad, the BIOS would recognize it as no RAM, so you would hear a BEEEP, Beep Beep BEEEP. Also enter the BIOS after you load into the OS successfully.

phrank

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

I did as you suggested, and both cards booted up just fine. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'enter the BIOS after you load int the OS successfully'. By the way, I downloaded and installed the CPU-Z program (from CPUID) as was suggested earlier in the thread), and the memory tab of the program indicates the RAM as size: 2048 MBytes and Channels #: Dual. Am I getting mixed messages between this program and what comes across during boot up? Thanks again for your continued help.

Frank

The chipset used in the A7N8X-X is the NForce 2 400, which only supports single-channel memory. The model that supports dual-channel memory is the A7N8X-E, which uses the NForce 2 Ultra 400 chipset. The memory should be running at 200 MHz (DDR-400) though, if your RAM really is DDR-400.

Solution

Form what you have given me, and what the other guy has posted above me is that your motherboard either;

1) Cannot register correctly or
2) and its firmware do not register the Dual setup.

phrank

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

Well that would certainly explain it. I had even removed an extra gb of RAM because I was informed that having it in there would eliminate the dual channel aspect. I take it that I can go ahead and add that back in. Thank you for the information, and thank you to dogman_1234 too for continued help.

Frank

phrank

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I've got a follow up on this post. I apparently don't have the same RAM as I thought. I bought supposedly the same 2 sticks and at the same time from the same place. They were advertised and received as Kingston "1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR". BUT, when I run my CPUID program and look at the memory tab, the sticks have the following settings:

Stick1:
1024mb
200mhz
PC3200
CAS Latency 3.0
RAS to CAS 3
RAS Precharge 3
tRAS 8

Stick 2:
1024mb
133mhz
PC2100
CAS Latency 3.0
RAS to CAS 3
RAS Precharge 3
tRAS 6

What affect might this have on my computer? Thanks.

Frank

If you put in two RAM sticks of different speeds, the motherboard will run both of them at the highest speed that both of them will support. The first stick is DDR-400 and the second stick is DDR-266, so both will run at DDR-266. That is exactly what your motherboard is telling you as it reports the RAM all runs at 133 MHz, which is DDR-266.

Status
Not open for further replies.