[SOLVED] Asus AC1750 vs AC86U for best 2.4ghz speed

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Hello

I want to boost up my Fiber modem or using the new router as repeater to this modem as I can barely get 30% signal to my room

The modem is unfortunately 2.4g only, as well as my actual Tenda F300.

Will the AC86U beats the AC1750 (both Asus) in 2.4ghz range and speed? Meaning the possibility to give more mb/s for the same range

Solution
Both of those should have superior range to your current WiFi router. Do note that the modem has no effect on the frequency used by the router. Even if the WiFi-Modem is 2.4Ghz only you can use bridge mode to your personal WiFi Router and that can be 2.4/5Ghz without issues.

All that said depending on your budget going with a WiFi 6 router is probably a better way of doing things. A good budget pick is the TP-Link Archer AX50 where as the TP-Link AX11000 is one of the best overall routers out there.
Both of those should have superior range to your current WiFi router. Do note that the modem has no effect on the frequency used by the router. Even if the WiFi-Modem is 2.4Ghz only you can use bridge mode to your personal WiFi Router and that can be 2.4/5Ghz without issues.

All that said depending on your budget going with a WiFi 6 router is probably a better way of doing things. A good budget pick is the TP-Link Archer AX50 where as the TP-Link AX11000 is one of the best overall routers out there.

Solution

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016

They only have the AX20 aka ax1800 here in Lebanon.
Btw what I didn't like with tplink is that you can't switch to repeater mode in case you need it. Do this Ax20 has repeater mode?

Looks like it will be either the 100$ asus AC2750 or the 160$ AC86u
I am willing to pay the extra for the AC86u if it has better mb/s for a range of 10-12 meters with a slim wall
The AC86U should have better range and be able to sustain higher speeds at further distances than the AC1750. One thing to remember is that having a stronger adapter on the computer is also useful. I swapped out my Asus AC55 adapter for an Asus AC88 adapter and have gotten a much better signal and speed to my desktop.

Reactions: Jeff_120

kanewolf

Titan

It is not possible to accurately predict that either of these Asus routers will "have superior range". We don't know what we are comparing against, we don't know anything about the construction of the building, etc. It is quite possible that there will be zero change. All commercial WIFI units transmit at the same maximum power. There can be some antenna gain differences, but there won't be a 10x improvement.
WIFI6 is really no benefit in a 2.4Ghz situation. It sounds like this OP is using the Tenda as a repeater (but I am not sure).
My recommendation would be to look at powerline network adapters to provide a wired connection to this room.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
It is not possible to accurately predict that either of these Asus routers will "have superior range". We don't know what we are comparing against, we don't know anything about the construction of the building, etc. It is quite possible that there will be zero change. All commercial WIFI units transmit at the same maximum power. There can be some antenna gain differences, but there won't be a 10x improvement.
WIFI6 is really no benefit in a 2.4Ghz situation. It sounds like this OP is using the Tenda as a repeater (but I am not sure).
My recommendation would be to look at powerline network adapters to provide a wired connection to this room.

It's not only range but speed for a 40 to 60% range spot.
I use the Tenda mainly as a wifi receiver for my PC desktop as it doesn't have wifi

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
So the Tenda is being used as a wireless bridge.
Speed in 2.4Ghz, best case is about 70Mbit throughput.

Did you see my recommendation to investigate using powerline network hardware instead of WIFI ???

It's a great option but not in Lebanon, we have several hours without electricity, the modem is on a small UPS and the router on the PC's UPS