[SOLVED] Asus AP-mode: Ethernet works, WiFi doesn't

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
So, I've been trying to set up my ASUS RT-AC51U in Access Point mode, since router mode works [censored] all for whatever reason and can't really test any manual settings since I don't have any direct access to the modem/splitter/router feeding the single Ethernet socket in my apartment. This alone may be the problem, but just looking at the WiFi list it's quite obvious others have had success setting up their WiFi in the same halls.

I've wired the router up as per instructions and Ethernet over LAN works completely fine. However, no internet over WiFi. Just stuck on ''Connected, no internet'' across 3 different devices as well as both 2,4GHz & 5GHz bands.

Any ideas on what to do? Already tried the usual jargon of rewire, restart and reset.

Four-letter word removed --- please keep the party clean -- this is a family-friendly place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
So you set it up in AP mode? Your WAN Ethernet cable attaches to an LAN port on your ASUS, and you set its gateway address to that of the dorm network that you got from doing an ipconfig in a command prompt? The problem is what to set your ASUS address at -- it cannot be in the DHCP range of the main routing device.

The LAN ports are just like a switch so they should work. For the radio to work properly you'll need the ASUS DHCP turned off (which I assume that you did to make the switch work) and the other two addresses above correct -- gateway and ASUS device.

The other radio signals that you see don't necessarily mean that they get Internet access, they may have the same issue as you. Or perhaps, they asked the network...

RealBeast

Titan
So you set it up in AP mode? Your WAN Ethernet cable attaches to an LAN port on your ASUS, and you set its gateway address to that of the dorm network that you got from doing an ipconfig in a command prompt? The problem is what to set your ASUS address at -- it cannot be in the DHCP range of the main routing device.

The LAN ports are just like a switch so they should work. For the radio to work properly you'll need the ASUS DHCP turned off (which I assume that you did to make the switch work) and the other two addresses above correct -- gateway and ASUS device.

The other radio signals that you see don't necessarily mean that they get Internet access, they may have the same issue as you. Or perhaps, they asked the network administrator and got the answer they needed for what static address to set for their AP?

Solution