Asus CUV4X ISA modem no go

G

Recently build a system using the ASUS CUV4X(VIA Chipset)MB.
I bought this board because it had 1 ISA slot, not shared with a PCI slot for a modem. Here is the problem. I know that the ISA slot works, tried 3 other ISA cards. But for some reason Windows 98 will not install the modem AOpen model FM56-ITU/2.I have tried everything from jumpers to reinstalling Windows. No go.
How does one get a modem to work on this board?
Any input appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, an ISA modem sets up a REAL communications port, requiring a SEPARATE IRQ, so make sure that if it's plug and play that you an extra IRQ, and have it jumpered that way. You can't share IRQ's even with another com port, so if you are only offered IRQ 3 and 4 by jumper, you can only have 1 com port enabled on your system and you have to set your modem to a different com port setting and IRQ. Some jumper modems give you more IRQ options, allowing you to have both com ports on your board enabled and the modem set to com 3 or 4 with a higher IRQ (like IRQ 5). But, as previously stated, you must have it set to a free IRQ! Then, run Add New Hardware, and it will detect a new COM PORT from the modem. Then, run Modems-detect my modem-and it should detect your modem on the new com port and work!

G

Also, you might have to look for some drivers for that card. I had that happen with my modem, WinME tried to load my modem as a controller card. I finally managed to track the right drivers down, and they've worked ever since.