[SOLVED] Asus Dark Hero x570/Ryzen 5900x nightmare 2nd build

Jul 13, 2021
Since upgrading to the Asus Dark Hero x570 and Ryzen 5900x I have had nothing but issues and the computer is pretty much unusable from temp issues to USB disconnection issues.

Initially I have having an issue where the CPU temps where unreasonably high. Idle was 60c from cold boot, then when I open a game say Cold War it would instantly shoot up to about 78c then after one 10 min game I'm 80-85c. And before you say "oh that's normal Ryzen runs hot" no it should not be to this degree right off the bat. And YES my AIO mount is fine/tested and re applied proper NON stock Thermal Paste.

I realized that the v core was always a constant 1.45v. After researching I found some PBO/Curve Optimizer settings that fixed the issue. PBO enabled> advanced> PBO limits Disabled> All Core> -30 offset. Boom issue fixed everything great. 40c idle, 67c after hours of gaming, 4.4ghz all core stable.

THEN, I Updated to a STABLE new bios for the board and all the issues came back. Tried reverting the settings that I had, Tried putting everything stock, tried disabling DOCP, Tried turning off any PBO of any sort, then finally reinstalled Windows.. nothing worked. V core and cores fluctuating and going nuts, temps shoot up, etc.

Reached out to ASUS support who said they think "The sensors on the board went out" and they wanted me to send my brand new board in for repair... No way.

Beyond frustrated I re-purchased, BRAND new, EVERY component in this machine, rebuild the machine with brand new versions of the SAME components, except the GPU because I had no issue with that. Reinstalled windows on NEW drives, and now the board has not only the SAME issue with the Temps, but a new even worse issue where the USB devices keep disconnecting for 4-5 seconds every 5 min or so making it unusable! Also in iCUE the Commander Pro fan hub, keyboard, mouse, AIO, RAM, lighting strips are all detected but the lighting node core which controls the RGHB for the fans is NOT detected.

Its plugged into known good USB and SATA power, nothing.

At this point I'm pulling my hair out and am ready to just go back to intel because I'm at a loss.

Lian Li 0-11 Dynamic
Ryzen 5900x
Asus Dark Hero x570
Asus Strix RTX 3080
Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz (4x8)
Corsair h150i elite capellix triple fan
Corsair RMx1000 PSU

iCUE pump and fan is on performance mode double click on fan and pump used to do it ?? you have asus "armory crate" installed and clicking on the cog icon in the left hand side / and update centre in middle / then right hand side check for updates.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Since upgrading to the Asus Dark Hero x570 and Ryzen 5900x I have had nothing but issues and the computer is pretty much unusable from temp issues to USB disconnection issues.

Initially I have having an issue where the CPU temps where unreasonably high. Idle was 60c from cold boot, then when I open a game say Cold War it would instantly shoot up to about 78c then after one 10 min game I'm 80-85c. And before you say "oh that's normal Ryzen runs hot" no it should not be to this degree right off the bat. And YES my AIO mount is fine/tested and re applied proper NON stock Thermal Paste.

I realized that the v core was always a constant 1.45v. After researching I found some PBO/Curve Optimizer settings that fixed the issue. PBO enabled> advanced> PBO limits Disabled> All Core> -30 offset. Boom issue fixed everything great. 40c idle, 67c after hours of gaming, 4.4ghz all core stable.

THEN, I Updated to a STABLE new bios for the board and all the issues came back. Tried reverting the settings that I had, Tried putting everything stock, tried disabling DOCP, Tried turning off any PBO of any sort, then finally reinstalled Windows.. nothing worked. V core and cores fluctuating and going nuts, temps shoot up, etc.

Reached out to ASUS support who said they think "The sensors on the board went out" and they wanted me to send my brand new board in for repair... No way.

Beyond frustrated I re-purchased, BRAND new, EVERY component in this machine, rebuild the machine with brand new versions of the SAME components, except the GPU because I had no issue with that. Reinstalled windows on NEW drives, and now the board has not only the SAME issue with the Temps, but a new even worse issue where the USB devices keep disconnecting for 4-5 seconds every 5 min or so making it unusable! Also in iCUE the Commander Pro fan hub, keyboard, mouse, AIO, RAM, lighting strips are all detected but the lighting node core which controls the RGHB for the fans is NOT detected.

Its plugged into known good USB and SATA power, nothing.

At this point I'm pulling my hair out and am ready to just go back to intel because I'm at a loss.

Lian Li 0-11 Dynamic
Ryzen 5900x
Asus Dark Hero x570
Asus Strix RTX 3080
Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz (4x8)
Corsair h150i elite capellix triple fan
Corsair RMx1000 PSU
Do a Google search it's not just you trash boards get a refund and buy a different brand.

You can try Uninstalling ice cue, ai suit and setting the PCIE slot to gen 3

Jul 13, 2021
iCUE pump and fan is on performance mode double click on fan and pump used to do it ?? you have asus "armory crate" installed and clicking on the cog icon in the left hand side / and update centre in middle / then right hand side check for updates.
I did not install amory crate because its always been riddled with issues, and even when you uninstall it wont delete files, so you have to reinstall windows. For the sake of the rig not sounding like a jet engine, the pump fans are on a custom curve, and the pump header is on extreme. The issue is that the board pumps 1.45 v core causing the thermals to skyrocket. When attempting to use PBO and Curve Optimizer it wont under volt and work how its supposed to so the v core just fluctuates. Its all bios settings I'm sure of this, I just don't know what I should do in bios to get it all functioning.

Jul 13, 2021
Do a Google search it's not just you trash boards get a refund and buy a different brand.

You can try Uninstalling ice cue, ai suit and setting the PCIE slot to gen 3
Right now the PCIe is on "auto. Both the MOBO and the GPU are PCIe 4.0 , How will this fix USB and CPU temp issues though?

After researching I found some PBO/Curve Optimizer settings that fixed the issue. PBO enabled> advanced> PBO limits Disabled> All Core> -30 offset. Boom issue fixed everything great. 40c idle, 67c after hours of gaming, 4.4ghz all core stable.

So....I'm confused...

Why not revert BIOS to the version where "...issue fixed everything great"?

Why is it such a 'no way' deal to send your board back to Asus for repairs? Under warranty I'd suppose?

Instead go buy everything new again? Just seems a strange way to proceed.

Jul 13, 2021
So....I'm confused...

Why not revert BIOS to the version where "...issue fixed everything great"?

Why is it such a 'no way' deal to send your board back to Asus for repairs? Under warranty I'd suppose?

Instead go buy everything new again? Just seems a strange way to proceed.
The issue is that I DID revert back to known good bios, and the same settings used were no longer working on that older bios after I flashed it back. 2nd I am not sending my 2 month old $500 mobo back for it to be repaired and be without one for 5-6 weeks. and 3rd by ordering a brand new version of the same model mobo and still have not only the same issue but now a new issue all together would indicate it may not be hardware but more bios settings, or even worse bad bios releases.

Jul 13, 2021
Thank you for those links and your reply. However I am not seeing in those links where people are saying that changing their PCIe from gen 4.0 or even "auto" to gen 3 remedied their USB disconnection issue. I will try this either way? For what its worth I'm using 2 separate gen 3 m.2 drives. A 500GB and a 1TB both WD black.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The issue is that I DID revert back to known good bios, and the same settings used were no longer working on that older bios after I flashed it back. 2nd I am not sending my 2 month old $500 mobo back for it to be repaired and be without one for 5-6 weeks. and 3rd by ordering a brand new version of the same model mobo and still have not only the same issue but now a new issue all together would indicate it may not be hardware but more bios settings, or even worse bad bios releases.
I would never use a Asus product in my PC they were a great company about 10 years ago, much less spend 500 bucks on a motherboard that you can spend 200 on and do the same exact thing and probably even work.

EDIT I might use a ASUS power supply since their made by Seasonic if I remember right but even then your paying a lot extra for the Asus name on it.

I made my living building, repairing, and upgrading PC's ( out of my house and was so busy I had my wife help as a parts swapper for troubleshooting) for a good bit of years before it became a whorXX game of who could use the cheapest parts and anybody could really build a PC from the internet.

I talked everybody I could out of using a Asus product, because you can get better parts for less money all they became was a overpriced gimmick. The last time I actually recommended a Asus board come to think about it was a AM3 using a 955 CPU if I remember right.

Last edited:

alexbirdie

Respectable
Sorry to hear that.

In Jan. 2020 I built 2 identical PCs ( 1 for my son and 1 for me), and since building both have been running absolutly flawlessly . In 1 PC I use the old 1201- and in1 the next 1302-BIOS. I did not try to update BIOS, because there was no need to do that.

Seems to be an issue with the dark hero and/or the 5900x.

I suppose you did something wrong settings in the BIOS or your 5900x is faulty ( did ýou purchase a second 5900x,too?).

It is very unlikely or very bad luck to get the same issues with 2 different builts.

If I would think to upgrade to a 5xxx-CPU ( probably 5900x or 5950x), i would be in sorrow about upgrading to the newest BIOS or about a faulty new CPU.

But on the other side there are a lot of customers, who are satisfied with such a new combinations, and nobody opens a thread for telling us, how well his/her system is running.

I suppose you set the BIOS to factory defaults ( BIOS default settings) after updating?

You switched off every built in tuning option in the BIOS( no PBO. no CPU boost, no AI-overclocking tuning, no other manual settings ) ?

Tried to uninstall all software but windows itself for testing purpose to exclude any additional fault cause( even the ASUS software)?

Only hwinfo64, eventually ryzen master(just for monitoring, NOT to change anything), for getting the temp- and voltage- and other values)?

I am using AIDA64 for stability and memory tests ( I bought it, and I am satusfied with it).

It would be great to check your PC with my own hands and eyes, but we know, that's impossible.

I wish you good luck, and if you find the issue, please tell it, because the solution might help other peoples, too.

If possible, you might post every BIOS-setting, because I know, that there are some new parameters in the dark hero exclusive to it.