Asus Debuts World's First FM2+ Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
I find advertising capacitors' lifespan pretty silly - 5000h is only half a year of 24/7 operation, which would be really lousy if capacitors only lasted that long. That rating is only valid when operating at max rated temperature and AC ripple; conditions that should never occur in a properly designed product.

I retired my P3 with CUSL2 motherboard last year... that board probably logged over 100k power-on hours over the 12 years I had it. My C2D's P5P800Q is likely over the 40k hours mark too and there are no capacitors rated for 40k hours.

Funny how warranty on motherboards are much longer than their manufacturers' quoted lifespan on capacitors while MTBF on most components are usually much longer than warranties - everyone quotes MTBF over 200k hours but nobody backs that up with a 10+ years warranty.

LL

FM2+-Socket-635x422.jpg

ASUS-A88XM-Pro-635x422.jpg

(from wccftech via freeper-world)

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
amd mainstream and highend users will have to wait until steamroller fx series for pci-ex 3.0 to be officially supported. kind of backwards how amd releases their products the affordable ones get the latest tech while the mainstream and highend will get it later.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This is one of the factors that makes AMD unattractive. different socket types. AM socket should have been retired over a year ago. FM always had native USB 3. the user's who need PCIe 3 more so are the power users... who don't buy FM systems.

All new CPUs and boards should be FM2.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This is one of the factors that makes AMD unattractive. different socket types. AM socket should have been retired over a year ago. FM always had native USB 3. the user's who need PCIe 3 more so are the power users... who don't buy FM systems.

All new CPUs and boards should be FM2.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Hardly. Intel have historically done worse over the past few years; 775 was a shining light in comparison.

Perhaps all AMD parts will move to FM2+ (there's rumours that there won't even be an FX Steamroller, but I'd take that with all the salt of the Dead Sea), but we'll have to wait on that one.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Probably only 5% of AMD systems are AM sockets now. If you're ONLY factoring in Desktops, especially DIY machines, then the numbers change dramatically. But guess what? That's not mainstream anymore, and therefore AM3+ is not mainstream.

It absolutely makes perfect sense to prioritize mainstream, entry-level, and now ultra-low-power markets. In other words put the latest into their APUs and their supporting chipsets first. I don't like it, but it's only logical. Realistically, if they didn't do this, they would die off. Even if they do, they've got an uphill battle, but there are many fronts where they're doing well enough.

I still don't have to like it.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
16GB of ram per slot? how do they test to make sure that it supports it when pretty much anything over 8gb per stick is buffered ECC? Also FM2+ seems like the high end chipset now as the 990fx doesn't support pcie or usb 3.0 yet.

InvalidError

Titan

mITX only has one PCIe slot. These boards are mATX with four PCIe slots; two of which being x16 physical and x??x?? electrical.

Since APUs are generally intended to low/mid-range PCs that may not have a discrete GPU or any other add-in boards whatsoever, mATX seems perfectly adequate to me. I doubt many people are interested in running SLI/CFX on an FM2 board with APU; they would likely be far more interested in AM3 boards and higher-end CPUs.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.